PDA

View Full Version : need a boat-load of information (mostly noob questions)

r00st
12-01-2004, 09:46 PM
first off, let me start out by saying i have read all the faq's (given i might have slept through a couple of them, but i think i pulled what i can out of em)

*note* for those of you who dont want my life story with quads, scroll about 5 paragraphs down*

I am 6'2 240 (working on making that 220...lol) and ride a 2003 Bomb ds650 Baja.
I love the quad, BUT i feel i picked a lemon. I have talked with hundreds of DS owners, and have only found ONE that has had anywhere close the as many problems as i have had (and of course i was too cheap at the time to buy the ext. warranty)
so i have spent over 1k on OEM parts for the thing (FULL starter gears, on 3rd batt, on 2nd clutch, plus the release shaft gave out twice, lots of wiring issues, seized up a crank bearing and the list goes on and on..) at this point i no longer feel comfortable taking it on long trips, as i fear ill pull it out and it wont run. (has happened in the past...) so im thinking maybe somthing easier to toss around.

A freind of mine got the new 05 Baja (very nice, seems more nimble, but still, its heavy) so far i havnt felt comfortable on anything but a lazyboy after riding the DS for nearly two years. my main 3 riding buddies all have yfz's, one being bone stock, and the nicest is FULL mx suspension with pipe/cam/flywheel. Even with all the power of the mx quad, im still no where near being comfortable on it! (its a mix of MANY things, i think its size is the biggest, along with the seat/ergos feeling pretty messed)

so, yfz is OUT. My plans were to wait for the new zuki, but it dosnt look like it will be out in time for our mid june st anthonies/lil sahara dune trip.

i have ridden a predator, and i cant even explain how odd it felt, along with very weak (on par with a z400 imo) so looks like 450r is what i should focus on for now.

I am pushing somewhere around 45 hp.(never dyno'd it...but stuck ranges from 38-40, so im hopefully at least 6-7 over stock) with my mods (ported/full pipe/KN in box/cdi/ and some other smaller doo dads) and am basically on par wtih a piped yfz (all 3 of my riding buddies on the yfz's are between 150-180, which definatly dosnt help me in drags) I am looking for somthing equally smooth torquey and powerful as my ds (anything on top of that is icing on the cake)

Im hoping i can get an 05 OTD for around 6200 or so. For now, i would like to set my mod limit to about 1k (but of course it is flexible...lol) My goals are 30% comfort, and 70% GOOD power (not just a motor with everything in the top, but somthing pretty lateral, with good bottom torque for the woods. yet still retaining a screaming top end for long dune climbs.) Also, we ride 50% tighter trails, and 50% open high speed land and then some dunes.

What combo should i get for my application? Has anyone done dyno's on different pipes/cams/filters etc etc?
I want a:

Pipe - somthing with an optional SA would be the best, also not somthing SUPER loud...i have the HMF and run it open now, so somthing a bit quieter would be nice. full system, or slip on?

Filter (hmmm foam or gauze.... is there an optimum setup? i would want some sort of airbox with a lid...maybe one of those KN lids? i know on the DS its dyno'd to get MORE hp with an IN box filter with lid and snorkels on)

Cam. I dont have much experience inside motors (i can do clutches and stuff no problem, but id feel better having the local shop install the cam, any idea how long it takes to drop in?) Seems like the R is mostly top as it is, and with the tight trails we do, i definatly need somthing i can lug if needed, to spare my clutch. HRC seems to be top? HC2 best for my app?

I just found out last night that Maeir makes ORANGE plastic for the R? (what does it run for EVERYTHING?) i would definatly want to do orange and black theme, like i have on my DS. I hate being a cookie cutter quad owner...always looking for somthing unique.

some of my biggest concerns:

Kick starter. Knowing that i can hit a button to keep the engine continually churning until fired is pretty nice. (i have had it where we travel, and i didnt get my jetting close enoguh before we left, so i have to crank on the DS for awhile. I am just worried my jetting will be off, and i wont be able to kick it over)

Carb.... one thing nice about the HUGE ds, is that there is enough room on both the top and bottom of the carb to access the needles and the jets, while it is still on the machine. I read a little write up, and it looks like the tank has to come off to get access to the needle? how about the jets?
one solution i was thinking, was an externally adjusted carb. seems like for somthing under 500 bucks, that adds a few HP, keeps a tune well, and is externally adjustable, would save a lot of headaches on trips. Was it the FCR carb that is externally adjustable? does anyone know if this is a good carb? hold a tune well, not finicky?

you honda guys dont like to trade quads do ya !?!! ;) :P
I like trading quads with people to see what other machines ride like, with each persons mods and tweaks. But you honda guys dont budge! i went through 7 people before i finally found a guy that would even drag me. Once i started talking to him (assuring him i wasnt gonna take off on his R, he finally agreed to swap quads for a few mins.) This R was totally stock, except for elka quad rates F/R. (so i cant really say how i liked suspension, as i dont plan to dump 1500+ into shocks) It seemed moderatly comfortable. One thing i noticed was that first gear was SUPER high. Im hoping that with the mods listed above, i wont have a problem lugging it at super low rpms, so i dont fry a clutch from feathering it in the tight trails. I wish i could find someone local with a piped R, and get 10-20 mins on it so i can truly feel what its all about. Until then, the best i can do is get more information on mods, and how they respond.

If i get one, i will be getting the longest warranty avail (3-4 years?) i have heard bad things about honda not wanting to repair stuff? (id be afraid my local dealer would just not want to do the warranty work, and say it cant be warrantied)

What are the main problems with the 450r? the only things i have heard of, are the kickstarters coming loose (locktite the bolt?) and then some crank problems? i heard they replace them no questions asked..but do the cranks seize up or what? (do they just give you the new part, and your stuck paying for anything else that was damaged and the install labor?)

any other prob's?

I apologize to those of you with better things to do than to read my 6 pages of questions... but i thank everyone in advance for any information!

Mike

Hammer trx450r
12-02-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by r00st
first off, let me start out by saying i have read all the faq's (given i might have slept through a couple of them, but i think i pulled what i can out of em)

*note* for those of you who dont want my life story with quads, scroll about 5 paragraphs down*

I am 6'2 240 (working on making that 220...lol) and ride a 2003 Bomb ds650 Baja.
I love the quad, BUT i feel i picked a lemon. I have talked with hundreds of DS owners, and have only found ONE that has had anywhere close the as many problems as i have had (and of course i was too cheap at the time to buy the ext. warranty)
so i have spent over 1k on OEM parts for the thing (FULL starter gears, on 3rd batt, on 2nd clutch, plus the release shaft gave out twice, lots of wiring issues, seized up a crank bearing and the list goes on and on..) at this point i no longer feel comfortable taking it on long trips, as i fear ill pull it out and it wont run. (has happened in the past...) so im thinking maybe somthing easier to toss around.

A freind of mine got the new 05 Baja (very nice, seems more nimble, but still, its heavy) so far i havnt felt comfortable on anything but a lazyboy after riding the DS for nearly two years. my main 3 riding buddies all have yfz's, one being bone stock, and the nicest is FULL mx suspension with pipe/cam/flywheel. Even with all the power of the mx quad, im still no where near being comfortable on it! (its a mix of MANY things, i think its size is the biggest, along with the seat/ergos feeling pretty messed)

so, yfz is OUT. My plans were to wait for the new zuki, but it dosnt look like it will be out in time for our mid june st anthonies/lil sahara dune trip.

i have ridden a predator, and i cant even explain how odd it felt, along with very weak (on par with a z400 imo) so looks like 450r is what i should focus on for now.

I am pushing somewhere around 45 hp.(never dyno'd it...but stuck ranges from 38-40, so im hopefully at least 6-7 over stock) with my mods (ported/full pipe/KN in box/cdi/ and some other smaller doo dads) and am basically on par wtih a piped yfz (all 3 of my riding buddies on the yfz's are between 150-180, which definatly dosnt help me in drags) I am looking for somthing equally smooth torquey and powerful as my ds (anything on top of that is icing on the cake)

Im hoping i can get an 05 OTD for around 6200 or so. For now, i would like to set my mod limit to about 1k (but of course it is flexible...lol) My goals are 30% comfort, and 70% GOOD power (not just a motor with everything in the top, but somthing pretty lateral, with good bottom torque for the woods. yet still retaining a screaming top end for long dune climbs.) Also, we ride 50% tighter trails, and 50% open high speed land and then some dunes.

What combo should i get for my application? Has anyone done dyno's on different pipes/cams/filters etc etc?
I want a:

Pipe - somthing with an optional SA would be the best, also not somthing SUPER loud...i have the HMF and run it open now, so somthing a bit quieter would be nice. full system, or slip on?

Filter (hmmm foam or gauze.... is there an optimum setup? i would want some sort of airbox with a lid...maybe one of those KN lids? i know on the DS its dyno'd to get MORE hp with an IN box filter with lid and snorkels on)

Cam. I dont have much experience inside motors (i can do clutches and stuff no problem, but id feel better having the local shop install the cam, any idea how long it takes to drop in?) Seems like the R is mostly top as it is, and with the tight trails we do, i definatly need somthing i can lug if needed, to spare my clutch. HRC seems to be top? HC2 best for my app?

I just found out last night that Maeir makes ORANGE plastic for the R? (what does it run for EVERYTHING?) i would definatly want to do orange and black theme, like i have on my DS. I hate being a cookie cutter quad owner...always looking for somthing unique.

some of my biggest concerns:

Kick starter. Knowing that i can hit a button to keep the engine continually churning until fired is pretty nice. (i have had it where we travel, and i didnt get my jetting close enoguh before we left, so i have to crank on the DS for awhile. I am just worried my jetting will be off, and i wont be able to kick it over)

Carb.... one thing nice about the HUGE ds, is that there is enough room on both the top and bottom of the carb to access the needles and the jets, while it is still on the machine. I read a little write up, and it looks like the tank has to come off to get access to the needle? how about the jets?
one solution i was thinking, was an externally adjusted carb. seems like for somthing under 500 bucks, that adds a few HP, keeps a tune well, and is externally adjustable, would save a lot of headaches on trips. Was it the FCR carb that is externally adjustable? does anyone know if this is a good carb? hold a tune well, not finicky?

you honda guys dont like to trade quads do ya !?!! ;) :P
I like trading quads with people to see what other machines ride like, with each persons mods and tweaks. But you honda guys dont budge! i went through 7 people before i finally found a guy that would even drag me. Once i started talking to him (assuring him i wasnt gonna take off on his R, he finally agreed to swap quads for a few mins.) This R was totally stock, except for elka quad rates F/R. (so i cant really say how i liked suspension, as i dont plan to dump 1500+ into shocks) It seemed moderatly comfortable. One thing i noticed was that first gear was SUPER high. Im hoping that with the mods listed above, i wont have a problem lugging it at super low rpms, so i dont fry a clutch from feathering it in the tight trails. I wish i could find someone local with a piped R, and get 10-20 mins on it so i can truly feel what its all about. Until then, the best i can do is get more information on mods, and how they respond.

If i get one, i will be getting the longest warranty avail (3-4 years?) i have heard bad things about honda not wanting to repair stuff? (id be afraid my local dealer would just not want to do the warranty work, and say it cant be warrantied)

What are the main problems with the 450r? the only things i have heard of, are the kickstarters coming loose (locktite the bolt?) and then some crank problems? i heard they replace them no questions asked..but do the cranks seize up or what? (do they just give you the new part, and your stuck paying for anything else that was damaged and the install labor?)

any other prob's?

I apologize to those of you with better things to do than to read my 6 pages of questions... but i thank everyone in advance for any information!

Mike

:huh

Put down the coffee dude:p

r00st
12-02-2004, 07:41 AM
if your not going to post somthing helpful, you could at least NOT quote my entire message.
I could have been a pain in the *** like some people, and make 30 threads for each question...but i didnt do that so i put everything in this thread.

The one thing i always liked about the bomb forums, was that its a much smaller crowd, with much more mature people, i was hoping if i got an R i could find a similar forum, but then again i could be wrong.

beak7707
12-02-2004, 08:03 AM
I probably wont be able to answer half the questions you asked because I have forgot most of them. But, I think you will be happy with the 450r. Your already used to not having reverse and your use to good power. So with the 450r you shave a meteric ton of weight and get race designed suspension.

One of my friends has a Ds650 pipe, rev box, filter, jetted, all the good add ons, and the day we unloaded the stock 450 the 450 layed it down on it. SO you will still have the speed of a 650 on a stock 450R. As for maintenace, the couple 450's youve heard about are about like you and your DS650. They are very few and far between. And Honda is very good about covering problems, many people on here have had stuff covered after the warranty was up.

Mods I would say the top pipe choices are sparks, HMF, and duncan. I have the HMF carbon fiber full and it gave me a lot of low end. Its not super loud and you can buy the quiet core. As for cam I race XC and have also been looking into cams. Many people recommend the stage 2, but I think I'm going to go with the HRC. Two people I race with run the HRC kit and it works fine for them on the XC track. I think they pull better all the way throgh the rpm range with the HRC.

Kickstarting, once you get it jetted right 1 or 2 kicks and its running. I dont have to worry about elevation change, so I dont ever mess with my jetting. But its 30 degrees here and I could choke mine kick it twice and it would be running.

Hope this helps some, good luck with the 450 if you get it.

chris450R
12-02-2004, 08:14 AM
hey man, i think that if you get a 450R you will be very pleased with it. the comfort for me great, of course i am only 5'8" and 200lbs. but the yfz (other step brother getting one)just doesn't fit me and neither does a pred(my step brother has one). the pulls of 450R is very good, it has smooth but continuous pull all the way the the rev limiter. the more gas you give it the more it pulls. now with mine all i have done for now is full sparks pipe, no hrc kit. i personnelly do not care for the kit, well cam, i think there are better cams available but it all rider preference. the reliability of the 450R is good. i have had no problems with mine(knock on wood:D ) and i have beat the hell out of mine but also takin care of it like you are suppose to. checkin stuff over regularly, changin the oil and keepin it up where it needs to be. i also race mx and i have had a few bad crashes this past season, one knock my ***** out. but the 450R come through like a champ only bent the bars and those where stock. so this is just my opinioin on this matter at hand but i think you will be bery satisfied with your purchase of a 450R, if you get one.

oh and i think the black and orange plasitc would look sick!:devil: gotta be different! c-ya, chris

r00st
12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
alright thanks for the input guys.

it sounds good, im just hoping i can find someone with one that is at least piped, so i can get a better feel for it.

if the hmf provides enough low torque, so it can be lugged in low rpms, and have the power needed for hare scrambles where you might be a super low rpm, that sounds good. Then maybe the HRC cam? will adding a top end cam take away your bottom end? (im thinking best of both worlds with hmf and hrc cam?)

i would just try the hmf and the HC-2 but i need pretty good top end for large rolling hills in wisconsin, and for the dunes.

ridingorhiding
12-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Well i had a ds650 and traded it for the 450r.
the first thing u notice is the big weight issue nice to drive @ in a Sport-quad and not a tank.
2.All around power thru 5th is nice and feels as strong as the ds the ds top speed is faster hands down.
3.Suspension the front shocks are just as good if not better than the ds the rear sucks.
time for work talk to u later

chris

MY450R
12-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by r00st
alright thanks for the input guys.

it sounds good, im just hoping i can find someone with one that is at least piped, so i can get a better feel for it.

if the hmf provides enough low torque, so it can be lugged in low rpms, and have the power needed for hare scrambles where you might be a super low rpm, that sounds good. Then maybe the HRC cam? will adding a top end cam take away your bottom end? (im thinking best of both worlds with hmf and hrc cam?)

i would just try the hmf and the HC-2 but i need pretty good top end for large rolling hills in wisconsin, and for the dunes.
hc-1=lowend
hc-2=highendnot the other way around
anyway good luck man i love mine and i have a hc-1 on order
i have a fmf pipe and header and it has way way more low end than stock

beak7707
12-02-2004, 01:04 PM
I dont have the HRC kit yet, all I have is the full HMF. But all my friend has is the HRC with the HRC exhaust cap and mine has way more low end than his. He races his XC and has no problems at all. I think the HRC and the HMF will be a good mix, mine doesnt wind out near as fast as his. So I think the low end from the pipe and mid top from the HRC should be about right on.

From my understanding the only way to get great power out of the stage 2 hot cam is with a high comp piston. I only have a few hours on my 450 and im not looking to put a new piston it at the time.

Just look and the pro GNCC the 450r is starting to take over. A few people switched from the yfz to the R, Borich went to the 450r and won 2 or 3 in a row. I heard all he has is a HRC kit in his with a full exhaust, so it must work good. On top of that the rev limiter is way higher than the one on the DS650 so you should like that in the dunes.

r00st
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
what is the rev limit on the 450r? is it a problem at all? the ds one is a problem...but i replaced the cid, so it revs out to 8500 now.

hopefully it isnt a problem with the R...because thats less money spent on a "dumb" mod (i figure stuff like that should have been dealt with at the factory, shouldnt have to put 100-200 to fix the problem)

i searched, but cant find much info on carbs...anybody at least know which one is the externally adjustable one? that way i can narrow my serach and hopefully get info on it.

if its cheap enough and a good carb, id like to get the carb, hmf, a cam, filter and i should be sitting pretty power-wise.

beak7707
12-02-2004, 01:17 PM
No I was saying the 450 has a much higher rev limter than a stock ds650. I Know the 450r's is close to 10,000 rpm I think it's 9,800. The stock carb is very good for factory. I read a couple post on here where the elderbrock carb didnt give it much more. Had a little more response and thats about it. I think the stock carb does a great job.

r00st
12-02-2004, 01:56 PM
ya i knew it had a higher limit (these little 450's like to rev high)

just wasnt sure if it was a problem once u do mods to the 450.

i think maybe its the edelbrock that is ext. adustable. even if the gain isnt great, as long as its moderatly cheap (around 350 or so) it would be worth it for me to be able to jet it without pulling the tank or plastic off, and or taking the carb off the bike.