PDA

View Full Version : Arm pump and endurance!?!?!?

balls2da-wall
12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know some special excercises to help out in racing...ive heard that the best thing to do for arm pump is to hang from a bar as long as you can...

hardkoratvmxr
12-01-2004, 07:24 PM
here is what i do

fill a coffee can with concrete and put an eye hook in it and tie a rope through the loop in the eye hook and a piece of wood on the other end of the rope the rope should be as long or longer than the length of your arms to the floor while your arms are parallel to the floor the take the piece of wood that you tied to the other end of the rope.. not the end by the coffee can.. and just twist the rope around the coffee can with your arms parallel and then when you have it all the way up unreel it slowly and do it again i do it about 2 or 3 times a day during the week and 4 or 5 during the weekends it helps alot for arm pump

WhiteZee
12-01-2004, 08:50 PM
when he says wood, hes talking about a broom handle or some type of pole. tie the string to the middle of it.

markk
12-01-2004, 09:31 PM
I took a curl bar, and used it!

ThumPIN_450R
12-02-2004, 03:36 PM
switch hands when you beat it that's what I do:eek2:

5valves
12-02-2004, 04:54 PM
I use one of those little hand opperated spring do da's
I am not sure what there called, they work good though. You can use it wial driving.
I will also use it before the race it has seemed to help.
I just have to remember during the race to not hold on so tight. The steering dampner helped that too.

balls2da-wall
12-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I used those things too and they work...i use them the week of the race about twice a day for 10minutes and I never really got arm pump...remembering not to hold so tight also helped alot...I used to have a death grip on the bars:D

LapTraffic
12-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Im not an expert, but I dont think that arm pump is caused from weak arms or from not having enough muscle.

I've heard to it referred to as compartmentalization. Meaning the blood gets trapped in the area, is depleted of oxygen and is not circulating effectively.

I havent heard of an excercise that would really help prevent that from happening.

I think it might have more to do with riding stance and grip on the bar and how much punishment is transferring from the bars into your arms.

Good grips, good gloves, a loose hand grip on the bar and possibly a steering dampner in conjunction with staying hydrated would probably be far more effective at preventing it than do wrist curls.

I'm sure someone who is far more in the know than I am will chime in with the specifics.

5valves
12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
compartmentalization?
what the he?? is that????? lol.
I forgot I also have been taking a couple of asprins before the races to thin the blood, maybe that is what compartmentalization is.
Or maybe the asprins were for the 12 pack I drank the night before the race?
I usually try to hydrate the old body very well the week prior to the race. Drink at least 2 gallons of water every day. drinking lots of water the morning of the race just makes you have to pee when you are waiting at the start.
JMO

The reason I use the spring hand do daa's before the race is not to build muscles but to get the blood moving in the arms before the race.

LapTraffic
12-02-2004, 06:16 PM
"Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome of the Forearm"

Did a search on the internet, came up with this artical. Has some extremely good information in there.

enjoy
http://moto-md.com/armpumpandmotocross.htm

LapTraffic
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
here's a cut/paste of the gist of the artical for those that dont want to wade through that. pretty good info.

I have broken nonoperative arm pump solutions into three groups based on the chance of success in reducing arm pump for a large population. My list does not mean that anything won’t work for you as an individual (see preceding paragraph).

High chance of reducing arm pump

1. Frequent riding.
2. Staying relaxed on the track, loosening the stranglehold on your grips, moving your fingers, and alternate between
3. squeezing and relaxing your hands.
4. Using more legs and less arms while riding.

Medium chance of reducing arm pump

1. Avoid heavy weights in arm workouts.
2. Suspension set-up.
3. Wrist curls with light weights and high repetitions.
4. Forearm, wrist stretching.
5. Using aspirin as a blood thinner. (The blood thinning attributes of aspirin work best at low dose. One pill a day is all you need.)

Possible chance of reducing arm pump. Treatments that some riders believed helpful are sometimes diverse and contradictory:

1. Taking nutritional supplements, vitamins, magnesium, potassium, calcium…
2. Changing the bar type, composition, and position (some say up, some say down) .
3. Lever position (some say up, some say down).
4. Grip size and stiffness (some said smaller and stiffer grips helped, while others said a larger softer grip absorbs vibration and helped.)
5. Steering Dampers.
6. Gripper seat covers
7. Acupuncture
8. Magnets
9. Voodoo

Johnson
12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Frequent riding, Moving fingers around, and relaxing my hands in a long straight away helps me alot.

5valves
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
7. Acupuncture
8. Magnets
9. Voodoo

That sounds like a good fix

shep
12-02-2004, 07:04 PM
two bananas a day and a tredmill!!

Kilabanshee
12-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Water, frequent exercise, asprin before race, and the hand spring things really do help but begin these a month or two before the race season to get you prepared.

5valves
12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
well you never know what shep might do with the bannana's
It might be better for him to be in front of you.
lol.

markk
12-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by 5valves
compartmentalization?
what the he?? is that????? lol.
I forgot I also have been taking a couple of asprins before the races to thin the blood, maybe that is what compartmentalization is.
Or maybe the asprins were for the 12 pack I drank the night before the race?
I usually try to hydrate the old body very well the week prior to the race. Drink at least 2 gallons of water every day. drinking lots of water the morning of the race just makes you have to pee when you are waiting at the start.
JMO

The reason I use the spring hand do daa's before the race is not to build muscles but to get the blood moving in the arms before the race.

Early on in the season I was takin asprin, And the 3rd race of the season i slamed up into my bars, and Got some HUGE brusing on both of my legs!
I also was just play boxing in the highschool parking lot one evening, and my cuz poped me in the eye, Well i had a great shinner for about a week and 1/2! Asprin worked good, But i was kinda scared, if I wrecked bad and cut myself, that i would bleed realy bad, so i stoped that method!

Beer is also a killer for a race, It works all the Water out of your system, Drink plenty of water, and try not to drink to much the night before a race! Horble cottenmouth!!!

balls2da-wall
12-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah my mom was flipping out on me about the whole asprin thing...she thought if I wrecked and got cut or something I would bleed to death
:p silly moms

markk
12-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
Yeah my mom was flipping out on me about the whole asprin thing...she thought if I wrecked and got cut or something I would bleed to death
:p silly moms

Actully man it wasnt my mom, I actully thought that, I was taking one asprin a day, and like i said i hit my bars, and OMG i didnt think a bruise could get that big, without puncturing the skin!

It was FUGLY!

balls2da-wall
12-03-2004, 06:42 AM
I know it wasnt your mom:d It was my mom:p I told her about it and she told me I better not try it with the asprin-a-day thing!

Rico
12-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
I know it wasnt your mom:d It was my mom:p I told her about it and she told me I better not try it with the asprin-a-day thing!

Asprins WILL make your stomach bleed, I know from expereince. I recommend to leave asprin alone.:cool:

Superman440
12-15-2004, 08:37 AM
arm pump has nothing to do with strength, it has to do with the position of your clutch. try lowering your clutch until arm pump stops.i've heard riders who've went to the gym to correct this problem but apparently when you gain strength you lose endurance so it actually gives the opposite results.

Shawn H
12-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Building more muscle will do nothing for arm pump!

Like Johnson says relaxing your grip and a little movement helps, Also ride more that is the main thing that helps, I built me a arm pump machine that I practice with:cool: Dont even ask how to I cant tell!

popo
12-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Building more muscle will do nothing for arm pump!

Like Johnson says relaxing your grip and a little movement helps, Also ride more that is the main thing that helps, I built me a arm pump machine that I practice with:cool: Dont even ask how to I cant tell!

Holding on to a vibrating weiner in not a arm pump machine. :devil:

Shawn H
12-15-2004, 04:16 PM
LMAO

How do you know?

I built me 1 like Laz's ;)

QUADROOKIE
12-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by popo
Holding on to a vibrating weiner in not a arm pump machine. :devil:

:D Now that;s sum funny *** chit!!!!!!

woodsracer420
12-17-2004, 02:29 PM
building "muscle mass" :muscle: is a NO-NO! you wanna do something that increases your strenth, flexablity, and blood flow, i use a tennis ball. Take a tennis ball and cut a very small slit in it and squezze it with your finger tips, and alternating fingers too. This will help your blood flow and will strengthen odd muscles in your fore-arm that you only work in a race. Also do it with your entire arm tightened up, this really helps increace the blood flow. I do it right before a race too because it really loosens the muscles up that you cant with a hand spring or with a weight,rope tied to a bar. those exersices only work the same muscles over and over and "bulk" your arm up, which makes arm pump worse!Make sure you stretch your arm too this will help the flexability part

do this, remember to RELAX and BREATH during a race, and make sure you have all you controls in a comfortable postion and youll eliminate arm pump! it works for me

my 2 cents

12-19-2004, 06:05 PM
i ride alot and drink alot ,,to thin the blood :D havent seen arm pump in two years:macho

12-19-2004, 06:05 PM
i ride alot and drink alot ,,to thin the blood :D havent seen arm pump in two years:macho

12-19-2004, 06:08 PM
i drink alot (to thin the blood of corse) and ride alot. havent had arm pump in 2 years. 1 little trick i do, is i don't sit down when i practice,, or as little as posible:macho

Shawn H
12-19-2004, 06:13 PM
R U drinking now ya posted 3 times lmao:p

Z-135
12-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Take aspirin about 30 minutes before you race. I take 4!

12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
R U drinking now ya posted 3 times lmao:p yea:D

woodside83
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
do you have a track at your house or a riding area near buy ride as mutch as possiable. handle bar time is what you need. i ride every day i have a xc and mx coarse i can ride about 2 hours on the xc and 30 on the mx i only get arm pump on the mx corse. a nother thing that will help is lots of cardio. riding a pedal bike helps a coulple miles a day. and lots of water. wear sweats so that it is close to have ing your gear on.