PDA

View Full Version : 400ex electrical problem is it the battery??

enduro400rider
12-01-2004, 06:55 PM
last week no one pick me up for school and i had to ride my 400ex 5 miles to school cuz no one was home to take me. I got there and with my luck that afternoon it rained, not real hard or anything but my quad did get wet. at the end of the day i went to start it up to go home and i put the key in ( i know i didnt have the lights on all day or anything like that cuz i had the key with me all day) and i pushed the starter button and it make one "click" sound and my lights went of and even with my lights off it still wouldn t do anything. i didnt want to call my parents cuz theyed be really mad, so my freind jumped it with his car and it started right up. i got home and went to ride it about 3 days later and it started up and while i was warming it up it stalled and did the same thing it did a school, it wasnt wet then eather is it the battery or somthing in the wiring PLEASE HELP

foster
12-01-2004, 07:15 PM
This happened to me before. It turned out that I had a short in my wiring and then I ruined my wiring harness and had to buy a new one. check all your wires and make sure they are all hooked up right.

02Yellow400
12-01-2004, 07:30 PM
How old is your battery...If the wiring is ok and its not holding a charge its most likely time for a new battery.

400exstud
12-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Is the battery fresh or does it start up real sluggish?

awsomeaussies
12-01-2004, 08:49 PM
One of my wires come loose once in a while and it wont start. Check all of your wires.

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
check your fuse. I had a friend who bought a $60 battery when this same thing happened and it turned out he blew a $.50 fuze.

sampleez
12-01-2004, 09:06 PM
mine did this once, the solenoid made a little clicking noise. it ended up that the cable to the started was a little loose.

Toadz400
12-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Make sure the connections to the solenoid are tight and CLEAN. If there is any dirt or mud it will definately make that happen, I had the same problem for a long time...I would just keep hitting the solenoid with my hand while holding down the start button and it would eventually turn over. Then I finally decided to take it apart and see what was wrong, I didn't see anything wrong so I just cleaned off the connections and put it back on...hadn't had a problem since.

MadMax27
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a short to ground. Like stated, above check all wires. All of em. If your lights go out, its cuz the current just found its way back to positive on the battery. ( DC flows Negative to Positive, whereas AC alternates back and forth, the number of cycles is your frequency) DC can hurt lots, so do be careful when fiddling with those wires...:p