PDA

View Full Version : Help... out of time?

450R_lover
12-01-2004, 06:30 PM
I just got a hot cams stage II installed by a local honda dealer, when i got it back home, i started it up and it ran and idled fine. I noticed that it was popping on de-acceleration so, i took it to the garage to richen the jetting. While i was rotating the carburator to get to the main jet, i felt the cam chain tensioner bolt?...(the bolt that sticks out of the back of the engine right above the front sprocket and just below the carb... the bolt at the end of the long cone shaped thing) this bolt was loose enough that i could turn it with my fingers!!! My first reaction was to tighten it... so i did. After i tightened it, i changed the main jet from a 180 to a 185 and kicked it over. It wouldnt idle.. it would run all crappy like it was missing out and stuff... which i dont think would be the jetting. The only thing i could think that it would be was the bolt that i tightened. Also, now it wont even start. Could it be out of time? Did i do something wrong by tightening it.. any permanant damage? What exactly is that bolt and what does it do?

thanks for the help

450 Racer R
12-01-2004, 08:04 PM
take it back to the dealer... they installed it and it's not running right, they should fix it for free.

WhiteZee
12-01-2004, 08:58 PM
well, you need to take it back to the dealer, when you get popping on decel, that means your air/fuel screw is lean, you need to turn it out a .25 of a turn and see if it stops, if not, keep turning .25 of a turn untill it goes away.

rowlrag
12-01-2004, 09:08 PM
That little bolt has nothing todo with it running, it is only a plug, you remove it to get to the timing chain adjuster screw. Did you retighten the clamps? Or when you rotated it which you don't have todo, you may have pulled the cable for the hot start out of it's seat.

rowlrag
12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Did you take the bowl off the carb?

450R_lover
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks alot guys, i'll go change the main jet back to what it was, which was a DJ175... it seems like its getting too much gas or something now and see if it will run like it did before but if i doesnt, im gonna take it back to the dealer on saturday. And no i didnt take the bowl off... just the big nut on the bottom of the carb. Thanks alot... Any other suggestions are welcome

Martin Blair
12-02-2004, 04:25 PM
adjust the air screw

WhiteZee
12-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 450R_lover
And no i didnt take the bowl off... just the big nut on the bottom of the carb.
lol, that is the fuel bowl.