PDA

View Full Version : Frame Problems????????

MXRACER86
12-01-2004, 04:53 PM
I want to buy a TRX450 and set it up for motocross. I will be racing the four stroke C class in the nationals. My question is will the frame hold up? I really don't want to have to gusset it. My MX banshee and MX 400ex never had a problem with the frame breaking, but I did break a yamaha warriors frame:D . Are the YFZ450 frames any stronger? Please honest opinions ONLY!!
Thanks everyone!

04trx450R
12-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I have heard of people having problems with the frames, but I have had mine scince february and put many hard trail miles on it, plus a little flat tracking, and I rode on a supercross style track,,, I jump all the time, fly down the tracks wide open, basically just beat the bag out of the bike, I have not had any problems at all. I checked the common spots, everything looks fine, I think maybe one small lot of frames had the welds or jig, however they do it,, off a little,,, When you compare the number of bikes out there to the number of frame problems,,,, I think youll be fine with the 450r

RedRacer44
12-02-2004, 01:29 AM
My frame has broke in 3 places. 2 were the obvious, around the upper motor mounts on the frame rail and the other one was on a cross member bar towards the front of the frame. I race MX though and put the bike through some rough riding. Plus I had 2 BAD crashes early in the season that I think lead to my frame breaking. Its currently getting fixed along with gusset work to hopefully makes sure it doesnt break again.

I wouldnt worry too much about it but if you're going to be racing MX full time, it wouldnt hurt to get the frame gussetted and while you're at it.....get it powdercoated. BLING BLING:devil:

Thump_It
12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
RedRacer, just curious, did you have a new link and rear shock before you started racing MX? I have heard that the frame cracking by the upper motor mounts can be directly related to the stock shock valving and link. I have also beat the crap out of my bike in the dunes (I know the terrain is a little more forgiving). I have also ran it at a few motos in MX, my frame is fine.

dunebuggie66
12-02-2004, 08:19 AM
well, i race mx, and by the end of the season i had 10 breaks. had them all fixed as they happened. on the first break i called honda. they were willing to send a new frame, told me that if anything else happens to fix it myself until they are able to get my frame out. a week after the season ended my frame came in(good timing), i bought a walsh gusset kit, and am having the new one pc'd. this one should hold up very well.

ThumPIN_450R
12-02-2004, 10:38 AM
mine has cracked four times i race mx and gp style enduros but more mx than those i only do endoro/gp racing when there are no mx races the moto track i usually race is pretty brutal being sand with some rather big jumps and i raced all season in the intermediate class ( a class) on stock suspension but i've also seen yfz's crack just as much as mine when you put quad frames to the test the way we do they will all crack at some point

RedRacer44
12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Yes, I have the GT Thunder MX linkage and JH Racing revalved my rear shock to Laz's (GT Thunder) specs. I have seen several YFZ frames/swingarms break too, so its just a matter of when its going to happen if you race MX full-time. Also, a lot of us Amatuer riders aren't perfectly smooth ALL the time....makes it a tid bit rougher on the frame too :D Nobody's perfect.....