PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a CMP rack on their 400ex? (question)

leel
04-20-2002, 08:45 AM
My son and I ride way back into the mountains to fish, so I need some kind of rack on the 400ex. I had a CMP rear rack on his old 300ex, but you had to remove the rack to clean the air filter (the rack supports went through holes that you drilled in the rear fenders). Does anyone know if the 400ex rear rack is the same?

If so, if anyone has the CMP front rack, what is it like? A six pack rack won't work because it's too small...

Thanks,
Lorrin

04-22-2002, 05:44 PM
i asked th esame question and someone said that the sub frame was to flimsy.

"BLAHH"300!!
04-22-2002, 10:58 PM
ok here' your rack....

get you some sort of metal think of a design you want...the narrower and the wider the better...it would be ok for it to come over your seat a little if you will only be riding single with it on...if it sticks out too far back it'll get reall tippy on those mountian trail's.....get someone to weld all this up for you...or do it your self....fix a mount for your grab bar and you can make 2 more mount's in either of 2 places....
1) make it with 2 long curved support's that attach to your foot pegs' or
2) have 2 supports go under the quad and attach to your subframe around your batter'y mount

i think #1 would work a little better....it may not look all that great but it will work...and i mean come-on...your not ganna have 200lbs of weight back there are you?..
.make it 3 foot wide (or so) and hav eit
. about the with of your quad...with would put it at about square or a little over.....also here's another trick......
get a trailer...you don't have a place to hook it?...ok ..you know on your grab bar there's this little round hole that you use to mount flaggs in...ok...get a trailer...and instead of having a streight tunge on it...have it shapped like this kinda..
with this "GOOSE NECK" type trailer hitch fixed to your grab bar. it will give you clearance to go up sharp incline's. also with the rounded bottem on the front if it doesn' run aground, it will act as a sled and slid up and over the obstical without digging in. i would suggest looking around for a lawn mower type trailer with this bottom in plastic. for light weight. then cut off the hitch and welding this goose neck type hitch on to it. ....or make one out of a light weight aluminum or sheet metal. (plastic) on the hitch part. fix a little rod with a hole in it..slide it through the hole in your grab bar (flag hole) and slip a pin through the rod..(like on you rime's ..a nut with a pin after it...only do it with out a nut..but you can still use a bolt..just weld it on)

"BLAHH"300!!
04-22-2002, 11:28 PM
do i win the award for the best artest rendering of a 400ex or what....by the way...thats' a 440ex +2 all around with fullbore (CLEAR) plastic...chromed everything ...billet everywhere else

that amazing trailer you see there is a
"BLAHH ZTX DYNO-SLIDE 1000" it's the new chrome pakage come's complete with polished aluminum body and tounge, chrome douglas rim's with hole shot 20"'s on it.....the axel was specially crafted by DURABLUE and it come's standard with the berring buddy's (keeps water out of your bearings) and tarp to keep the rooste off your goods. also come's with a quick release parking break and third leg for quick detaching. with a base price of only $250.00 (US) it's a camper's dream!!!!
(7'Lx4'Wx3'H--6"clearance--46.3LBS)

there is a larger version avalible i call it the
"WADAFUG 420 THC" model. it's large enugh to carry a 12' john boat and cooler. or can double as a partty wagon, or both it come's with the bearing buddy's also so you can back your boat right off into the water..... quick release parking brake and quick cover(tarp) 3rd leg is optinal starting price on this model is $420.00(US) it marketed towards the larger utility model quads'
FISHERMANS DREAM
(10'Lx5'wx4'H--8"clearance--52.7LBS)

contact me for imediate shipping (buyer beware)

nah forreal LEEL hey man this will work just need a little creativity. with that rack design you'll still have to remove it to clean the filter but you won't have to drill hole's in your plastic....i'd go with the one that fixes to your footpegs. and make 2 one for you and one for your son. less weight for both of you...may even do some thinking on your own and find a way to fix a small one to mount in place of the front bumper...a little 2 foot by 1 foot would be just about right...just a strong flat piece of somethin' up there will be all you need...make it 3 foot by 2 foot and you could mount a cooler on it with out worry of tipage....

(i think i need to shut up and market this stuff myself)

how many people in here would buy one if i made one to fit the honda 250ex/300ex/400ex models and made em' look decent and not like a piece of iron welded on your bike? what price would be resonable? i can weld .....let me know if it's a good idea we see racks everywhere for utility models but none for us...

"BLAHH"300!!
04-22-2002, 11:36 PM
i just found a flaw...on that trailer. the tounge mounted through the hole for your flag pole wont work. when you hit a steep angle the slack between the to metals would go only so far and then touch/ bend....hummmmmm....there would need to be a pivot in there somewhere...or youd need to get a small 1inch or so ball/hitch...bolt that mounts in the flag pole hole and use the ball as the pivot like we do everday....on your trailer outside now
"BY GEORGE I THINK HE'S DONE IT"

any other tips? sorry for the quadrooplt postin' but i didn't feel like goin back

04-23-2002, 04:59 AM
good thinking!