PDA

View Full Version : CB's

Scott-300ex
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
me and my friends want cb's, to talk to each other.

anyone got em, or got some story's with them

the one i want is $80, i think i know where im ganna mount it, i just don't want a friggin wire to be seen goin all the way to the antenna:( but i guess it will, cause im not ganna put it under the carpet or anything

how far do they reach, a good one?

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 03:36 PM
i used to have one badass CB...i had a texas star, i had it tweaked at a cb shop to 18 watts, ran a 150 watt booster, and a k-40 antenna. My buddy had a similar setup and we could talk for about 25 miles, sometimes further on the interstates in flatter areas. All of this, of course, was about 164 watts over the legal FCC limit :devil:

You need to go to a CB shop, dont go to wal mart or a truck stop. Get it tweaked and if you can afford it, run a booster.

My favorite is the General Lee, its illegal as hell but they have some loophole to sell it...i think it is actually classified as a ham radio. It has a built in 40 watt booster on top of its operating power of 20 watts. Be sure to get a k-series antenna such as a k-30 or k-40...and dont be gay and get the usless dual firesticks people put on their trucks. Running 2 antennas is pointless, and to make it even work properly they need to be about 10 feet apart...which is a lot wider than a truck bed.

CBs are fun, and they're pretty useful. There's no better radar detector than a CB radio;)

Scott-300ex
12-01-2004, 03:50 PM
lol, yeah, i want to be able the cops to, so i guess once i find a channel they use a lot that will be cool, as long as i don't talk to them. lol, unless there is trouble.

i heard you have to register your cb, which is wierd

25 miles, wow:eek: i live in southern illinios so its pretty flat which is sweet.

thanks

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 03:51 PM
The cops dont use CB radios...they use VHF radios and you need a scanner to hear them.

And no, you dont have to register a CB, at least not in Tennessee...

Dust_1503
12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Are there any online stores to pick up CB's?

mudslingingurl9
12-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
me and my friends want cb's, to talk to each other.

anyone got em, or got some story's with them

i gotta story i guess:) ....
my dads a truck driver (ever since he got hurt doin construction crap) n hes got a cb in his truck...and his tanker. But yea ne-way over the summer my sis, me, n my dad went up north to ohio to visit family..n that is 1 long *** drive like around 8 hours from NC. Me n my older sis drove up seperate in her sc coupe and got a cb hooked up in it so we could talk to my dad when we needed to. our route went through virginia, and west virginia and u know wut that means ****loads of truckdrivers on the highways. omg every freakin time we passed a tanker they would honk the horn n then speed up again to us to get another look...n thats not even the worst part..those truck drivers r NASTY n since we had the cb hooked up we new wut they were sayin bout us n they had no idea. my sis is dirty blonde n she had it dyed blonde blonde at the time n they were like "Damn!! I'd like to find out if she's really a true blonde!" they were flickin there tongues at us and s*** n i have to admit it wuz pretty funny tho and @ the same time gross cuz they're all old n nasty. The 1 good thing.....we ended up gettin there earlier than we thought we would becuz of speedin away from the truckers lol

kazpr
12-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Dust_1503
Are there any online stores to pick up CB's?

What he said!

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 06:38 PM
I actually bs on them almost daily, been about 11 yrs, got pinched by the FCC last yr:o :p I was running a 10 meter Magnum Delta Force tweeked to 40 watts w/ a 800 watt pump thru an Antron on 11 meter:devil: At the time of arrival...I didnt have anything inline and had just been testing out an old tuber that only did 150 watts, your only supposed to be running 4 stock watts haha

I have a buddy that can help you, www.thequackshack.com

Scott-300ex
12-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by mudslingingurl9
my dads a truck driver (ever since he got hurt doin construction crap) n hes got a cb in his truck...and his tanker. But yea ne-way over the summer my sis, me, n my dad went up north to ohio to visit family..n that is 1 long *** drive like around 8 hours from NC. Me n my older sis drove up seperate in her sc coupe and got a cb hooked up in it so we could talk to my dad when we needed to. our route went through virginia, and west virginia and u know wut that means ****loads of truckdrivers on the highways. omg every freakin time we passed a tanker they would honk the horn n then speed up again to us to get another look...n thats not even the worst part..those truck drivers r NASTY n since we had the cb hooked up we new wut they were sayin bout us n they had no idea. my sis is dirty blonde n she had it dyed blonde blonde at the time n they were like "Damn!! I'd like to find out if she's really a true blonde!" they were flickin there tongues at us and s*** n i have to admit it wuz pretty funny tho and @ the same time gross cuz they're all old n nasty. The 1 good thing.....we ended up gettin there earlier than we thought we would becuz of speedin away from the truckers lol

lmao

i went up to pennsylvania to pick up my car about 2 months ago, and i've never seen so many trucks in my life, i was like:eek:
i could see 20 trucks in my lane at all times, then the ones coming towards us on the other lane, i bet i saw 50,000 trucks in 10 hours.

are they real easy to install?

Guy400
12-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Every time I see a CB I get a picture in my head of one dirty trucker asking another dirty trucker for a 20 on a lot lizard:devil:

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 06:48 PM
you HAVE to match the anttenna, or you wont get out past the mailbox and the finals in the radio will eventually burn up, also stay away from Radio shack $30 anttenna setups, get a stainless whip...or a real anttenna;)

Chino
12-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Every time I see a CB I get a picture in my head of one dirty trucker asking another dirty trucker for a 20 on a lot lizard:devil:

Lot Lizzards ahhh bring back da memories lmfao just that word sounds dirty, let alone to pick one up:ermm:

Guy400
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Chino
Lot Lizzards ahhh bring back da memories lmfao just that word sounds dirty, let alone to pick one up:ermm: Sorry, does "truck-stop trixie" sound a little cleaner? LMFAO :devil:

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Lot Lizards LOL! thats what we call the sluts that come on talking all the cheezy horny chit:rolleyes: :p

We dont talk 10code or anything like that(well a small amount to long distant stations), no riod-farming deisel dummy trucker bs, just plain old bs'n, like on the phone, buts its all about gettin-out and trying to put the spank on other cb stations:blah:

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Holy crap JRX...800watts?!!!!!!!!!!! i think i've heard some FCC stuff on the radio once...i shut the radio off though. How do you get caught by them?

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Holy crap JRX...800watts?!!!!!!!!!!! i think i've heard some FCC stuff on the radio once...i shut the radio off though. How do you get caught by them? I have a few mobile units but prefer to talk at home on the base, when your mobile and you run a kicker its harder for them to track you, a base is a diffrent story., but the base antenna is almost 3 times more powerful

Every few yrs they make a "sweep" and pinch the bigstrappers, or it takes alot of complaints from neighbors, business's etc for them to check you out. Took them 10 yrs to wanna come say hello to me haha

Scott-300ex
12-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by mudslingingurl9

oh yeah, i forgot to say did you stop at any truck stops? lol

what is FCC?

and you can't get caught by cops if your on their channel right?

mudslingingurl9
12-01-2004, 07:25 PM
lmao

i went up to pennsylvania to pick up my car about 2 months ago, and i've never seen so many trucks in my life, i was like:eek:
i could see 20 trucks in my lane at all times, then the ones coming towards us on the other lane, i bet i saw 50,000 trucks in 10 hours.

are they real easy to install?

my dad did it....he said its pretty easy to do....dont kno any more details on installin it then that lol

mudslingingurl9
12-01-2004, 07:27 PM

what is FCC?

and you can't get caught by cops if your on their channel right?

he** no!! we learned real quick that we were better off to just hold it lol

n no you cant get caught by the cops

FCC=Federal Communications Commission.....regulate the frequencies

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 07:31 PM

what is FCC?

and you can't get caught by cops if your on their channel right? An 11 meter cb has 40 AM channels, some have upper/lower side-band to, NO license needed for AM 11 meter band, the FCC is the feds, they regulate everything from tv shows to Howard Stern, AM cb'ers are only allowed 4 watts(otherwise you could start your on broadcast station) Most cops dont use 11 meter am cb radio, as long as your stock...your legal, nothing they can do unless your a REAL PITA haha, you can run a power-mic tho

TRX250X
12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
We have CB's in our semi's of course. You can't leave home without them. We also have FM radios. The two-way kind, not the stereo, that we use for our farm communication. I guess a DOT looked all over dad's two-way one day because the ones we have at home we have police stations programmed into also. We don't put any police stations in the trucks or we could probably get in trouble.

250rpilot
12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
im runnin a galaxy dx73v, peaked and tweaked, and a road king 56 mic, with a wilson 2000 antenna in my triaxle dump truck. we BS all day long and use them in the quarries and such. very easy and cheap communication. with about 10 watts rms, 40 peak at the top of the mod. swing, i get out about 3-4 miles depending on conditions. PA is very hilly and has alot of trees, so im doing real good. flat land i could probably go 10 miles with optimum conditions.

i paid 375 for the radio, 50 for the antenna and 50 for the mic. it has proved to be a very reliable mobile setup, sounds great, easy to tune, never had a problem with it. and with the echo and voice changers, you can really p!ss off the foreigners in the landfill that dont speak english!!:devil:

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 250rpilot
im runnin a galaxy dx73v, peaked and tweaked, and a road king 56 mic, with a wilson 2000 antenna in my triaxle dump truck. we BS all day long and use them in the quarries and such. very easy and cheap communication. with about 10 watts rms, 40 peak at the top of the mod. swing, i get out about 3-4 miles depending on conditions. PA is very hilly and has alot of trees, so im doing real good. flat land i could probably go 10 miles with optimum conditions.

i paid 375 for the radio, 50 for the antenna and 50 for the mic. it has proved to be a very reliable mobile setup, sounds great, easy to tune, never had a problem with it. and with the echo and voice changers, you can really p!ss off the foreigners in the landfill that dont speak english!!:devil: J...sounds like you'd be a perfect ch8er!! haha, yeah...those are sweet radios, for now Im gonna stay a bit more stealth (altho still cheatin just a tad:blah: )

wonder if we could make the trip during skip?:confused: ;) :D

wheeltrax
12-01-2004, 08:43 PM
I have a CB in my car, yea i get some interesting looks, but it is the best thing for traveling. Makes a great radar detector and i can hear when there is a crash, and where, and if i should get off. It is great when i travel with my friends because then we can all chat back and forth and make sure we are all in check and not lost. Best thing i ever put in my car. I bought one of the radio shack antennas, and its better then any of my friends. I can get about 5-7 miles out of mine.

Scott-300ex
12-02-2004, 03:44 PM
you learned to hold it, lmfao:p

how do you know what channels to be on to hear about cops and accidents, cause wouldn't you have to search all over the channels to see what station the people talking are on?

im askin for one for christmas, and so are some of my friends:D

Destructo
12-02-2004, 03:57 PM
I got an old big radio in the basement that has been peaked and tuned some and has an antenna that is tuned for the radio, it works good but was way too big for me to put in my Chevy K10. So I bought a Cobra DXIII or something like that, I never tuned the antenna to it though, need to do that, I just use mine within a 1 mile range usually so i'm not too concerned about distance, althought I believe it will work for a good distance.

TRX250X
12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
you learned to hold it, lmfao:p

how do you know what channels to be on to hear about cops and accidents, cause wouldn't you have to search all over the channels to see what station the people talking are on?

im askin for one for christmas, and so are some of my friends:D

Semi trucks always use Channel 19. That's the one you want to listen to when crusing the interstate to know what's going on.

Destructo
12-02-2004, 04:10 PM
And channel 9 is for emergencies only, don't chat on it...

ShiftFMX
12-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Hey whats "Breaker Breaker 1-9" mean?

I seem to hear that alot, lol

Scott-300ex
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
wow, thanks for the channels guys and all that stuff!:D

250rpilot
12-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Killa250ex
Hey whats "Breaker Breaker 1-9" mean?

I seem to hear that alot, lol

they only say that in the movies. as a matter of fact, i dare you to hook up a cb, and say that out on the big road somewhere. i bet you get laughed right out of your car.

but really, you would say "break 1-9" to break into a conversation on channel 19. if you were on channel 40, you would say "break 4-0" and so on. most folks dont follow the "ten code" anymore, so those terms are pretty obsolete.

if you were running a ham radio, with license and all that good stuff, then in some cases you MUST follow these types of codes.

i talked to a guy in texas from PA once at my vo-tech teacher's house on his ham radio. it was pretty cool. we went to his house for a field trip for electronics class. if you use radar, you can thank him, he was in the navy and on the team that developed the first radar for combat. hes a hell of a smart man, and at close to 80 years old, has seen and done many things. i learned alot from him. come to think of it, i saw him about 2 months ago, and thanked him for the great things he taught me. i never had a better teacher.

bulkdriverlp
12-02-2004, 08:09 PM
this is right up my alley, i will try to answer all the questions in this post, may be long but some good info

cb's are great for being on the road,to inform you of cops or accidents. they are easy to hook-up just a black for ground and red for pos. make sure you have a in-line fuse in it thou to protect it. dont even bother spending 80$ for a c.b. not to be rude but give it to me i will put it to good use. for a good c.b. buy a cobra 29, hr2510,galaxy 66, or cobra 29wx. buy if form a c.b shop. you can get on the c.b. and ask truck drivers where a good c.b. shop is. as for amplifiers, (liners) they are illegal but if you respect it and dont get carried away you wont get bothered. as for antennae's like one guy said, dont get firesticks they suck. get a wilson magnet mount. and have the cb shop check ur s.w.r. with a swr meter. you can adjust the rod of ur antennae up and down a 1/16 of an inch at a time to match it up with ur cb. this is very important!!! DO NOT KEY THE MIC UNLESS YOU HAVE YOU SWR CHECKED. you should have a 0 or 1-1.3 STANDING WAVE if its too high you will burn out the "finals" in your c.b. and also you wont talk very far and youll be garbled. as for mic's i will use nothing but the "astatic 575" theyre bout 70 bucks. just get a c.b. and get used to it before you hook up ur linear. as for coax cable, you can have it made up at the c.b. shop for your vehicle. as for mounting it, DO NOT mount it on ur dash, the defroster will burn it up. as for cops, cops use f.m. radios not v.h.f. or whatever the other guy said, that is a fact. in some states cops do monitor channel 19,especially late at nite. i drove truck for 2 years and the cops were involved in a high speed chase, the cop got in his C.B. and asked us truckdrivers to move to the right lane. so we did, the cop lost sight of him for a while unitl i was first in line and saw the car get off, told the cop which exit and the cop got the car stopped on the off ramp. the cop got back on the c.b. and gave us a big thank you. was pretty good feeling. i called in a few drunk drivers on my c.b. stayed behind the drunk until the cop got behing me and i braked so he could suqeeze between and bust em. as talking skip...have done it many many times. you need at least 120 watts to get good skip, and yes ive talked to almost all 50 states for up to 5min at a time, then the wave moves out. its best to talk skip if you have the extra channels too. here is what you do, go late at nite, dont park near any lights,metal buildings,airports. wide open field is great. partly cloudy skies work best. clear sky is not too good sometimes. your signal goes up to the clouds bounces back down someplace else. its a lot of fun let me tell ya.

c.b. slang
10-4..i agree
10-20..your location
10-7..being quiet
north bound hows it lookin over ur shoulder??..is there any cops behind you?
smokey bear-cop
diesel bear-dot officer
break down lane..shoulder
hammer lane..fast lane
hammer down..step on the gas
grab a gear..upshift,get goin
break 19..if someone is talking, a polite way to say you want to talk.
roooggoo, roger d..another way of saying you agree, "thats right"
front door..vehicle in front of you
back door..vehicle behind you.

theres lots more of info avail if requested. i have 167,000 safe miles drivin a '01 freightliner classic 72" condo with 53' drybox.

Quad18star
12-02-2004, 08:11 PM
I got one in my truck . I love it during the winter .... we can radio ahead and see what the road conditions are like . Truckers will usually tell us whether to hit it in 4x4 High or 4x4 Low and let us know where the accidents are . On a good clear day .... I can pick up signals from Oklahoma and from down in Texas with our CB .... I can't remember its make and model .... I'll check it out tomorrow .

Scott-300ex
12-02-2004, 08:45 PM
man, you guys are helpfull!

thanks a lot

once i figured what all that stuff is that bulkdriverlp posted that will be REALLY helpfull.

i never knew you guys new all about this stuff, and so many truckers on here.

and ontario to oklahoma and eve texas???????????:eek: :eek: :eek:, wow, i want to get the setup you have, tell me what it is like you said you were (ganna check)

thanks

you guys know your chit!:blah:

JTRtrx250r
12-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I got one in my truck . I love it during the winter .... we can radio ahead and see what the road conditions are like . Truckers will usually tell us whether to hit it in 4x4 High or 4x4 Low and let us know where the accidents are . On a good clear day .... I can pick up signals from Oklahoma and from down in Texas with our CB .... I can't remember its make and model .... I'll check it out tomorrow . during the day , skip gets unbareable..I personally cant stand it, get to hear Tennesee, Alabama,Oklahoma,Texas, Cali and Mexico all damn day, some days its all of them...at the same damn time :rolleyes: :huh DX'ers are into long distant trips daily. I got my base unit next to my computer so anytime Im on it..Im on that too:p I have an old Cobra29 in my truck, good old radios that take well to mods. I run nothing but Astatic D104's, got the chicken-choker on the base and the M6B's in the rigs, my fav mics

If your a noob ..definitly stay away from 10 meter units, untill ya learn the ropes they'll just get you in trouble (Hammers are whiney bi'otches and get jealous b/c they have to follow code, we dont and most will go out of their way to get you busted!)

Quad18star
12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
JTRtrx250r .... you just sparked a bit of my memory ... I believe mine is a Cobra that I got in the truck . I'd have gone out to check it tonight .... but theres about 6 inches of fresh snowfall and I don't feel like taking another flip and ending up in the hospital for another 3 hours taking x-rays .

Narly R
12-02-2004, 09:43 PM
This is prolly a dumb question, but how are they illegal? What do they do that is illegal?

Quad18star
12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
This is prolly a dumb question, but how are they illegal? What do they do that is illegal?

I know up in my area , they have "Emergency channels" and if you got on them and it's not an emergency , you better hope they dont find ut who you are or else you're in chit over your head .

JTRtrx250r
12-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
This is prolly a dumb question, but how are they illegal? What do they do that is illegal? they're only illegal if they exceed 4 watts,which means pumping up the radio itself, or running a "pump" (linear,amp , footwarmer,boot.. etc) 10 meter radios are FM and are Ham radios and do require a license(w/ that..you can run a pump legally)

on AM 11 meter(cb) ch9 is a REACT ch (emergency, ppl vollenteer to monitor in all area's)ch19 is the trucker channel(that dont mean you cant talk on 19..you'll just be asked alot of traffic questions)

If the cb has upper/lower ssb (side band 12 watts legal on ssb) its a gentlemens agreement to somewhat use ssb on ch32-40(you can talk there also..you just get blead-over and it will sound all garbled):)

Oh yeah...#1 thing is EVEVATION is everything( That and a good antenna match ...aka SWR), you'll get out and receive LOTS better , I can talk as far as 30-60 miles w/ a stock 4 watt cb from a big hilltop if conditions are decent ,same w/ my base( I live on a killer hill and a base antenna has ALOT more gain than a mobile antenna . the average mobile antenna is a 1/4 wave, my base antenna is a 5/8's wave.. which is 18-22ft tall up in a tree 60 feet so it gets out much better than a mobile... even if it was parked under my antenna)

The key is a good SWR (1.1-1.5) a good mic, and a nice hill top for elevation, :blah: :macho :blah: ;)

bulkdriverlp
12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
JTRtrx250r knows what hes talking about, i can say that much. your welcome for all the good info, i could go on and on. i used to have a "launch pad" and 102"whip mounted on the truck of my 87' tempo, with a hr2510 and a 680 watt linear under the front seat. they used to pick on me and make jokes bout my car until i wouldnt let em talk anymore. c.b.'s are "self-policing" which means most of the time the fcc has better things to do than mess with kids with cbs. i will compile a list of "fun things to do" you will be pretty impressed. ill post em later tonite.

btw i could max ur scale at 35 miles. hehe

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
You guys got me confused with all this technical stuff .... All I know , is we got a CB hooked up on the truck , with a 5 foot antenna .... does the trick for us . :D

cam400ex
12-03-2004, 06:28 PM
dont be gay and get the usless dual firesticks people put on their trucks. Running 2 antennas is pointless, and to make it even work properly they need to be about 10 feet apart...which is a lot wider than a truck bed.

CBs are fun, and they're pretty useful. There's no better radar detector than a CB radio;) [/B][/QUOTE]

dang i must be gay then i always run dual 102" fiberglass whips. the last car i had them on was a 87 honda crx mounted about 3 feet apart running 1.1 swr 100w kicker with a connex radio., some times 29ltd classic it makes the car work like a set of beams. i've talked atleast 80 miles with that set up. before i sold the car i bent one of the brackets so one whip was tilted back a little and tha took care of the beam affect. also used to leave messages on my answering machine that was fun.

never run a lot of power around where you live it may not be there in the morning

borrowed a old 500w tube kicker by the time i got it loade and tuned in blacked out the neighbors tv dad came out told me to get out of the truck less than a minute there was 2-3 cars drive by a couple of times with antennas on them that didn't live in the area

major power lines will kill your distance quick
and if you ever want to have fun with people get an echo box

bulkdriverlp
12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
HA HA if you run a lot of power you cant run fiberglass, when you push a lot of "rf" through an antennae it gets real hot. thats why i ran stainless whips, but whatever works.

im going out to the shed and gettin mine. gunna throw up couple of pics.

bulkdriverlp
12-03-2004, 07:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/bulkdriverlp/IM000060.jpg

this is the one i took out of my semi 3 years ago, had to polish it up a bit. you guys got me pretty excited, think im gunna get back into it , gunna put this in my truck tomorrow.

this has bout 2watt dead key and swingin 25. echo and reverb has been added, one of the knobs is a little bit different, thats where it is. yyyeee hhhhaa

JTRtrx250r
12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
a cool trick is to take a 4ft flourecent bulb and hold it next to the antenna, the RF lights it up,

Bulkdriver...I can tell you know whats up too haha;)

cam400 just gave some good advise, ppl will "rabbit hunt" you so dont ever think you can talk chit just b/c your behind the mic, ppl will easily find you and see if you can back your mouth;)

Or

Swipe your gear!

:mad:

JTRtrx250r
12-03-2004, 08:10 PM
LOL at Bulk....Sparked a bug again huh haha

I have that same 29 in my truck...yours is just in much better shape haha

Ive had about 50-60 radios in the 11 yrs Ive been doin' it, started collecting and then ran out of room to put them, just like atv's....it can get addicting and spendy quick

bulkdriverlp
12-03-2004, 08:19 PM
meeeeeah thats a teeeann ffoooo

JTRtrx250r
12-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Im puttin the spank to the thro back mudducks and puttim em back out...and I just got down!! no doubt about it!

haha:D :blah:

Atreyu
12-03-2004, 09:12 PM
I thought you meant CB's as in 'c*ck blocks" and no one likes them....

Scott-300ex
12-03-2004, 10:46 PM
if an echo box is like a speaker phone thing i was talking to my sisters boyfriend about these, he's like, wow that must be a high school thing cause me and my friends had them back when we were in school, he said he had a speaker outside his truck mounted under the hood or something and he would drive by people and yell at them and talk and stuff and they would look around and be like wtf?:confused:, and they would sit by burger king drive threws and when people would order, they would start yelling out other stuff and the people would leave to give the money and they would be like, actually let me change that, give me 2 more burgers and 3 with hot sauce

:p

cknox88
12-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I have a question. How exactly can some one find you when you are talking on a CB. It seems impossible to track someone down. I know that you might be able to find the area just b/c how well you pic up thier signal but i dont see how you coulsd find out exactly who it is?

JTRtrx250r
12-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by cknox88
I have a question. How exactly can some one find you when you are talking on a CB. It seems impossible to track someone down. I know that you might be able to find the area just b/c how well you pic up thier signal but i dont see how you coulsd find out exactly who it is? Trust me on this;)

All I'd need is an RF GAIN knob and a SQUELCH knob and most cb's have them(unless they're a cheaper cb)

There's also what they call a "rabbit meter", it is basically a signal finder and will point you out, but anyone that knows how to run their gear dont need that....just a squelch knob really:devil:

Rastus
12-04-2004, 06:33 AM
I have a question.

I need to tune my antennae, it's a stainless whip with a magnet base.

How do I tune this bad boy? Can I do it without any special tools?

bulkdriverlp
12-04-2004, 06:55 AM
102's are pretty straight forward, not sure of a way to tune em. the length of ur coax will give you a good swr. (tune). coax should be in 3' incriments only and dont lay it near any car audio wires. not sure on that man.

bulkdriverlp
12-04-2004, 07:12 AM
ok,ok, i promised this here it is

1.park in front of satelite dish make tv go bonkers and talk through the tv

2. pull in to quarter car wash line up with signal wire, key up, get free car washes

3.pull in front of video arcade key up watch all the games go bonkers

4.go to any drive thru talk on ur c.b. blast their ears.

5. have ur buddy hold the tip of ur 102" while you key up, ouch!!!lol

Bubba
12-04-2004, 07:15 AM
if an echo box is like a speaker phone thing i was talking to my sisters boyfriend about these, he's like, wow that must be a high school thing cause me and my friends had them back when we were in school, he said he had a speaker outside his truck mounted under the hood or something and he would drive by people and yell at them and talk and stuff and they would look around and be like wtf?:confused:, and they would sit by burger king drive threws and when people would order, they would start yelling out other stuff and the people would leave to give the money and they would be like, actually let me change that, give me 2 more burgers and 3 with hot sauce

:p

what your talking about is a PA. Thats like what the cops have . Echo box is just what is sounds like. Makes your voice echo when you talk. Usually they have like a knob so u can turn the echo up or down, when its too much u can hardly understand people.

i think thats right if not bulk or jtr will tell you

Woodsrider
12-04-2004, 08:08 AM
JTR, do you tweak your own radios, or do you know some one who can fix an old 29ltd? I think I know where my dads old 29 is, and would like to get it up and running again. I know he had it tweaked out. I was going to have him build me a good radio for christmas this year, but god had other plans for him:ermm:
I just run a Cobra wx75st, with a 48" ant. on my toyota. The wife got it for me a few years back. I lost my first 29ltd when I sold my 77 F250 highboy:( What I run right now is okay for chit-chatin with the guys in a convoy on the way to events, and I can get out pretty good even on this side of the state with it. But I miss my "big box" CB. Ive thought about getting an 11m radio for the pick-up, but honestly, I just use it for shootin the chit with freinds on the way to and from work, and runnin the hi-ways to riding events.

cam400ex
12-04-2004, 12:15 PM
if you think some one is tracking you and your running a single ant. reach out and hold your ant. when you talk it will give a diff. signal.

i've got a echo box that hooks between your radioa and mike

JTRtrx250r
12-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
JTR, do you tweak your own radios, or do you know some one who can fix an old 29ltd? I think I know where my dads old 29 is, and would like to get it up and running again. I know he had it tweaked out. I was going to have him build me a good radio for christmas this year, but god had other plans for him:ermm:
I just run a Cobra wx75st, with a 48" ant. on my toyota. The wife got it for me a few years back. I lost my first 29ltd when I sold my 77 F250 highboy:( What I run right now is okay for chit-chatin with the guys in a convoy on the way to events, and I can get out pretty good even on this side of the state with it. But I miss my "big box" CB. Ive thought about getting an 11m radio for the pick-up, but honestly, I just use it for shootin the chit with freinds on the way to and from work, and runnin the hi-ways to riding events. 1st let me say Sorry to hear about your dad:( same w/ mine not to long ago..

I got into tweekin on radios for awhile, actually...the dude whos link I posted ...he and I started messin' w/ them about the same time...hes just much better at it(especially these days haha)and I didnt have the patients other than pumping them up a bit, that dude can fix just about anything you throw at him...hes gotten extremely busy w/ his site online now

I do most of my local bs'n on the base unit, but its great to have a unit in the moblie for exactly what you mentioned, makes for less boring road trips, seems to make all road trips go by faster haha

Anyway man, that dude could do a much better job on your 29 than I probably could, he can make those 29's sing, they along w/ a Cobra 148 are killer 11m cbs

Good luck to you bro!

Rastus
12-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Where I mount the antennae will also make a difference wont it?

Right now I have it setting in the bed, as close to the cab as I can get it. I did have it on top of the cab.., but I kept hitting ceilings and everything. ( I have a 93' Chevy 1500 with 33's)
Would this make a big difference?

I used to pick up bounces.., but I don't anymore. They sounded Latino/Mexican.:p

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated.

JTRtrx250r
12-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Rastus
Where I mount the antennae will also make a difference wont it?

Right now I have it setting in the bed, as close to the cab as I can get it. I did have it on top of the cab.., but I kept hitting ceilings and everything. ( I have a 93' Chevy 1500 with 33's)
Would this make a big difference?

I used to pick up bounces.., but I don't anymore. They sounded Latino/Mexican.:p

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated. when you run a mag-mount, most of its tuned w/ the coax length w/ an adjustment on the bottem of the whip itself, you loosen the small allenhead screw and raise or lower the whip to fine tune it, but you need an SWR meter to set the match

trucks are hardest to get a good ground-plain, vans are the best, the rig itself acts as your gp while the whip does the transmitting

I have a 75 chev 4x4 w/ 33s and a 4 inch suspension lift and mounted my 102 inch stainless whip on top of my light bar, didnt matter where I went..I was trimming the trees and its kinda nerve-racking when you pull up to a light and noitice your whip touching the powerlines:huh :eek2: . Alot of ppl run the whip behind the cab window but its not the best, ifyou mounted it on the front left of the rig,you'd be gettin' out and receiving best from the opposite coner of the rig, dead center (as much as possible) is best,

So yes, where you mount the antenna will definitly make a diffrence

Scott-300ex
12-04-2004, 04:48 PM
wow, my thread reached 5 pages, i am surprised

you have to run a wire from the cb to the antenna though right? its not cordless is it?

im going to mount my antenna on my back window

JTRtrx250r
12-04-2004, 05:22 PM
wow, my thread reached 5 pages, i am surprised

you have to run a wire from the cb to the antenna though right? its not cordless is it?

im going to mount my antenna on my back window LOL..it dont help w/ this being my 15th post about cb's haha

Yep..depending on what antenna your running, some come w/ the caox already set up,you just adjust the match and your done, others you have to solder up yourself..along w/ the PL259 barrel- connectors

Like stated before...you have to go in 3ft increments if your setting up your own coax

like 3ft,6tf,9ft etc ...BUT for some reason 18'6" is a good length to start...I ended up trimming mine down to 18.2 to fine tune it(along w/ the whip itself) to get a 1.3 match, a 1.5 or less is great for a mobile, a flat match is best for the radio ..but you'll actually sound louder w/ a 1.5

it depends on many factors when trying to dial in your match(coax length,
mag-mount/hard mount, placement of antenna/groung plain, kind of coax etc)

If your not good w/ a soldering iron..you can get a cb shop to do it or just buy it pre-assembled

You guys can learn a chitload from the internet alone if your a noob to it all, it can be very simple ..or pretty technical, but once you start to understand and get the hang of it,..it 's all pretty simple

bulkdriverlp
12-04-2004, 07:24 PM
if you have a truck just bore a hole through ur headboard of ur box and back of ur cab, run ur coax under ur seat up ot ur cb.make sure your line ur hole with a rubber grommet or liquid electrical tape thou, when the truck flexes itl cut ur coax and fry ur radio. if you have a 102, get a "mirror" mount from truck stop, unbolt it only use the half that has the male p.o.l. threads on it, mount it on the passenger side on the box rail and put a spring on it. if need be a tennis ball so it dont smack ur cab and chip the paint. if you need pics of the mounting spot let me know ill throw a pic up tommorrow.