PDA

View Full Version : Performance question

Jay300ex
04-20-2002, 07:05 AM
Hey, I was wondering a few things about a little more power. I plan on putting a K&N filter kit on my 300ex, along with a FMF Powercore Q, will this increase the powerband a lot? I've riden a 400ex with a WB pipe and that has a ton of nice power ( I know I wont get that because I own a 300 but still ) . Looking for the bike to have more of a kick, easier wheelies mainly, stock isnt doing that swell for me anymore ;)

Thanks!

Jayson

PDunes300ex
04-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Get a filter (uni, k&n w/outerwears). An aftermarket pipe and HEADPIPE (everybody has their favorites). Re-jet the carb. Put some holes in the airbox, or just remove it. Those mods will give you better throttle response, up the power a bit. I like to think of it as waking the bike up but definately not creating a speed demon. Thats about all you can do until you wanna go into the engine. Forget a about a rev box unless you have a built engine.

Jay300ex
04-21-2002, 05:36 AM
Who makes a good header that is compatible with the 300ex? I think I tried the FmF and they dont have one. Any suggestions on that ?

Jay

Live2Ride300
04-21-2002, 06:50 AM
Powroll makes a good header for the 300EX, its an oversized head pipe, since the stock one is so restrictive. You can just the headpipe alone, then get your FMF Q, or you can get the Powroll full system that comes with the oversized header and a supertrapp disc system. Ive heard the supertrapp system is really loud. The head pipe gos for around 90 buks. Good luck man,

Later

Charlie

Live2Ride300
04-21-2002, 06:51 AM
Oh sorry I forgot the link, here it is.................Powroll 300EX Products (http://www.powroll.com/honda_300ex.htm)

PDunes300ex
04-21-2002, 10:09 AM
That's funny you couldnt find an FMF headpipe:huh . Both the MegamaxxII and Powercore IV2 is a complete system for the 300ex, which means silencer plus headpipe. I have the powercore system and the headpipe is much larger than stock. I got the powercore because it is a more mid to high RPM setup. The megamaxx system (besides looking funny) is designed for gains in the lower RPM for woods riding. Funny exhaust actually does wake up the sleepy little 300.

Jay300ex
04-22-2002, 05:28 AM
hm thats strange, i was just looking on the website maybe i missed my model or something, but thanks for the tips :)

Jay

PDunes300ex
04-22-2002, 10:22 AM
For some reason they are not on the website. Check out the ads in Dirt Wheels or check some online places and most of them will list the above mentioned exhausts as "complete" systems as oppose to ones for the 400ex which say "slip-on" only.

Jay300ex
04-22-2002, 05:54 PM
alright i will go down to the honda shop when i have a good $500 for it? just about i hope. thanks for the help
jay

PDunes300ex
04-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Are you serious about $500:confused: . Order over the net or look in a mag. I got mine for $230.00 plus some shipping for the complete FmF powercore IV2 system. Trust me...the dealership is only good for maitenance stuff and thats not even cheap...i'm just lazy.

Jay300ex
04-22-2002, 07:36 PM
hmm, thought it would be expensive, any good sites on the net i can order through? but $230 would be be an awesome price, would leave me money for jetting and putting a k&n filter hehe..

www.fmfracing.com <--- Dont order from that? better prices somewhere else?

thanks!

Jay

PDunes300ex
04-22-2002, 08:21 PM
I think i got mine from moto-man...or Rockymountain atv...honestly i don't remember. They should all be pretty close in price though. Most places also carry K&N powerkits for $80-100.
Powerkit (k&n filter, jets, outerwears) You could go to the dealer and just buy a few jets for cheaper, but like i said im lazy.

Jay300ex
04-23-2002, 05:32 AM
Well I want brand name anyway so ;) What is the outer ware? whats that do?

Jay

PDunes300ex
04-23-2002, 12:21 PM
its a nylon mesh that goes over the K&N for extra protection against particles of dirt and what not. The K&N does provide better performance but you have to clean it and maintain it with more regularity than the stock filter. Make sure you clean it out really well and re-oil it when it's dry to get the best protection.

Jay300ex
04-24-2002, 05:31 AM
Ahh I see, so I should get the K&N stuff with the exhaust system? Dont wanna mess up the carboration or anything that will yank life from muh quad ;). I am also kinda stumped about what FMF kit to buy, I wanted one that gives a good power boost while looking cool and sounding not-so-crazy-loud, know what I mean? The Powercore Q was what I was looking at, but I see MegaMaxes and other pipes that come with Quiet Core Inserts, do those help pretty good with the DB level?
Took a look on the rockymountainatv website and the pipes are still up in the $250+, Ill check the motoman now though so.

Jayson

PDunes300ex
04-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Megamaxx is built to give low end gains....powercore is for mid-and upper range performance....all i do is ride dunes so i don't really need the low end increase. The Q inserts help but the exhausts are still loud compared to stock. You could also check out WB-Eseries pipes...they look good but the complete system might be more. Yoshimura exhausts are really trick...but expect to spend more close to $400. That's about all i know right now...good luck with your decision. If you get all the stuff at the same time.....RE-JET the carb.

Jay300ex
04-28-2002, 07:46 AM
Definatly, I decided to go with the WB-Eseries, reviews show that its gains are overall better throughout the whole band. That with a K&N kit should give me some boosts ;) Thanks for the help

Jay

PDunes300ex
04-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Glad to help...keep me informed on how everything goes when you get it all together. good luck and have fun

400exRacerX
04-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Your not gonna notice a big power increase with just a pipe, jets, and a airfilter. You'll sure notice alot of sound increase though!!

04-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Hey Jay...you will need to order your FMF power core pipe today
in hopes of getting by next spring. I ordered mine in February and they still can't tell me when I will get it. FMF has the pipe on back order. I am putting a K&N filter and pre charger on also.

Good luck getting your pipe!!!

Jay300ex
05-01-2002, 05:23 AM
Hehe Yea I read something about their pipes on backorder. I suppose I will save up a few more paychecks and get a complete yoshi or white brothers. I'm not fond of waiting.