PDA

View Full Version : zero preload

400EXracer74
12-01-2004, 10:49 AM
what are peoples opinions on zero preloads im looking to get new front shocks and my rear rebuilt. Are zero preloads any more money that regular shocks?

TC426EX
12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
yes they are more money and they take some getting used to...

cdalejef
12-01-2004, 12:56 PM
With the Elka's, they are the same price as non SSD. SSD or zero preload is the best setup going! Your quad will handle like its on rails.

flyingbyfast400
12-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I love ZPS... Nothing better then a set up like it. If you ask me its money well spent.. I have nothing but good things to say about it.. But I only race mx, and ride dunes with this set up.. What type of riding do u do?

400EXracer74
12-02-2004, 10:55 AM
i primarily race or ride tracks. ill ride in a sand pit and shoot down some trails once and a while. is there like a happy medium between zero preload and regulars?

cdalejef
12-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 400EXracer74
i primarily race or ride tracks. ill ride in a sand pit and shoot down some trails once and a while. is there like a happy medium between zero preload and regulars? What do you mean? Zero preload is the best setup. You can set the ride height higher with preload adjustment but you would be giving up great handling.

wilkin250r
12-02-2004, 02:03 PM
The higher-end shocks, like Elka or PEP, are certainly more expensive than the lower-end, like Works. (don't get me wrong, Works are still good shocks).

You're only going to find zero preload on the higher end shocks, so a set of PEP ZPS shocks are going to be much more expensive than a set of Works shocks, so you can say that ZPS is much more expensive.

However, PEP also makes regular (non-zps) shocks, and the price difference isn't very much. So you could also say that zps isn't much more expensive. As Jeff pointed out, with Elka they are the exact same price, zero preload or not.

I'm not a true suspension expert, but I can't think of a single advantage of regular shocks. A zero preload shock will do everything and more. There is no need to find a "happy medium".

400EXracer74
12-02-2004, 05:55 PM
im just worried about it feeling wierd when im jumping im used to being able to preload a lot for jumps when i need to. does it change that a lot?

quad_62
12-02-2004, 07:51 PM
well, i'm gonna be switching over to zps this winter and i'd also recommend the zps. something feeling weird at first isnt always bad. you'll get used to the shocks, and will like them much better. and jeff will know more about this than me, but I think you should still be able to preload your shocks some on jumps.

cdalejef
12-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by 400EXracer74
im just worried about it feeling wierd when im jumping im used to being able to preload a lot for jumps when i need to. does it change that a lot? Its no different preloading, look at all the GNC and GNCC pros. If they didn't work, all those guys wouldn't be running them.

Jersey450R
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
I dont get it, if you have a regular setup and take all the preload out (putting the rings all the way to the top of the shock), then wouldnt that be ZPS or pretty close??

cdalejef
12-03-2004, 07:40 AM
No with a normal shock your actually making the spring softer which does hurt preloading. With an SSD or zero preload, your main spring rate stays the same. Its the sagging spring that does all the sagging.

yamahonda
12-03-2004, 10:14 PM
zps are the ****... they are smooth ride and you are low to the ground .. and then when you jump the shocs fall or get longer to absorb the impact... kinda like the off road trucks... its awesome...

TCSMotorsports
12-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I have an 86 250r and am putting elka ssd triple rates on the front with +3 a-arms and was just going to rebuild my rear works shock. Would it be better to put the elka ssd all the way around or will it not make that big of a difference?

Sean

JDiablo
12-04-2004, 10:26 AM
i would have SSD all around if it was me,that way you dont mess with the geometry crap of the suspension and watnot if that makes sense,and it wont be all cock-eyed,go ssd all around

wilkin250r
12-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by TCSMotorsports
I have an 86 250r and am putting elka ssd triple rates on the front with +3 a-arms and was just going to rebuild my rear works shock. Would it be better to put the elka ssd all the way around or will it not make that big of a difference?

I know the physics and theory behind it all, but I'm not an expert on specific brands.

However, if you have SSD in the front, you definitely want SSD in the rear. If memory serves me correct, you CAN rebuild your stock rear shock to SSD. If you can convert your stock rear, I don't see any reason why you couldn't rebuild a Works rear to SSD :confused:

300exOH
12-05-2004, 06:05 PM
I have elkas in front with a works rear shock converted to ssd. They seem like a good match and it saved me a few $$

TCSMotorsports
12-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Who did your conversion on your works shock?

Sean

300exOH
12-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by TCSMotorsports
Who did your conversion on your works shock?

Sean

The Quadshop did the conversion