PDA

View Full Version : ported or non ported sub boxes

Alberta_Qaudin
12-01-2004, 08:43 AM
k i've got an 01' sonoma ext. cab, and i've been told to get the best results with the box not being in a trunk and with a confined space i'm better off with a ported box, but i've never been a fan of ports......so which one and why

02Yellow400
12-01-2004, 08:50 AM
depends on what size sub and what kind of sounds you are looking for. Ported boxes usually give me for a "punch" or "hit". And sealed boxes usually make alot of low deep bass. I personally like sealed. Seem to be a little cleaner also

PBlackmon
12-01-2004, 09:40 AM
With a sealed box you get cleaner sound, but with a ported box you gain SPL. I have two JL W3 12s in a slot ported transmission line box in my dodge dakota and love it (been known to out hit a JL W7 10 and if you know anything about JL, you know that the W7s are the s***) If you decide to get a ported box, go for the standard slot port or a transmission line slot ported box. Trans line boxes keep a more clean sound and still get good SPL.;)

Alberta_Qaudin
12-01-2004, 09:47 AM
right now with the box i've got it always sounds like my sub is struggling to pushand then when the bass cuts its fluttering, a guy at a pro stereo shop around here said ishould put in a ported box cause the compression in the truck is keeping the sub from being able to fully flex....i mean i know a little, and i know i've always had non-ported boxes in my cars but this is the first truck i've put anything in....he also said that a ported box will make the bass more noticable on the outside

Regular_Joe
12-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Generally ....

Sealed: Flattest and tightest response, best SQ.

Ported: Will have a slight peak before the tuning freq, virtually no output below the tuning frequency, and less tight response due to group delay. Will be louder than sealed due to the peak before the tuning frequency. Nice mix of SPL and SQ.

Bandpass: Same as ported but w/ a bigger peak, etc. Even louder than ported due to the huge peak. Very one frequency oriented box, great for high SPL numbers, but not SQ.

I always go sealed. I don't care for the group delay etc of ports. Yes it is louder, but I don't think it sounds as good....

I'd suggest downloading a program like winISD and see how different boxes affect the response of the sub.

SixthFloorFreak
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
i'm a big fan of ported boxes, but with one exception. you won't find a ported box in my truck tuned above 30hz...i'm not fond of the way it sounds at all. my current box is 8 cubes @ 30hz with 60 square inches of port for 2 15's, and it will knock your head off at nearly any frequency from the bottom all the way up to 60hz. i absolutely despise exaggerated output in the 80hz range, i attribute this to an in-car resonance, and my subs roll off nicely before then.

my theory for now is to use a low tuned ported box, use a nice component set up front with at least 100w per side, and use no rear speakers at all. but with all that said, stereo systems are more personal preference than anything...only you can decide what box is best for your situation

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 11:23 AM
from my experiences, subs in ported boxes sound a lot better in small areas like trucks...

Regular_Joe
12-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I couldn't agree more w/ only having fronts. Why so many people insist they need rears is beyond me and I will never understand it. I haven't had rears in the last 2 vehicles and I must say they are both the best I have ever had .....

Alberta_Qaudin
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
my truck actually doesnt have anywhere to put rears, i have 2 in dash and 2 in door speakers and 2 tweeters

Chanman420q
12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
building a ported box is hard, if your going to build it go with a sealed box, but if your going to have it professionally made, go ported. ported isnt as accurate but its quite a bit louder. I have a 99s10 ext cab and i built my self a custom box for my 2 JL 10w7s

Scott-300ex
12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
you don't have a trunk, you have a truck so bed, cab, behind the seat.

i think subs are a waste of money, i mean my car idles louder than everyone's subs, so it's sweet.:D

SixthFloorFreak
12-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
you don't have a trunk, you have a truck so bed, cab, behind the seat.

i think subs are a waste of money, i mean my car idles louder than everyone's subs, so it's sweet.:D

must suck riding in a car where the SPL is over 140dB

:rolleyes:

hosted
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
I agree with Chanman420q. If you are building your own box and don't have much knowledge of ported boxes I would build a sealed box. If you want to put some time into researching how to build ported then I would definately recommend that. Depends on the sub(s) you want to use too. You can always just build a nice simple sealed box to begin with and switch to ported later if you want.

markk
12-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Depends on the Subs/The box/ the angles within the box/AMPS/ Weither it has enuf airspace, Depending on what kinda sound your really wanting outa it, MIDS/LOWS??

TEll us what u have, what your pushing it with, and how many CuBIC feet the subs require and how much u have for them.

Then u have to look at what kinda porting do u want to do to the box, Tube port/slot porting?? There are all sorts of factors, and hours of tuning in a good system!

markk
12-02-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
my truck actually doesnt have anywhere to put rears, i have 2 in dash and 2 in door speakers and 2 tweeters

What i did in my elcamino, I had two 12"kicker L7's and within my box, I made two other boxes to hold 2 6x9' for my mids/highs, And ran those off a little MTX220. It sounded pretty sweet! just make sure u seal up everything tight!

Alberta_Qaudin
12-02-2004, 06:49 AM
k well the final product is a rockford T2 10' in a clarion slot ported box.....sounds good but gunna need more power for the sub

PBlackmon
12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
You should've gotten JL

Alberta_Qaudin
12-02-2004, 01:31 PM
woulda needed more power for good JL's for sure,

markk
12-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by PBlackmon
You should've gotten JL

You should've gotten a HONDA! j/p

Scott-300ex
12-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
must suck riding in a car where the SPL is over 140dB

:rolleyes:

don't roll your eyes at me

what the hell is SPL?

i was just joking about the eyes...........maybe:o

PBlackmon
12-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by markk
You should've gotten a HONDA! j/p
I am very aware of that

Juggalo
12-02-2004, 03:26 PM

what the hell is SPL?

what he was saying is your car must idle pretty darn loud to be louder than his system. in fact i doubt your car idles louder then my system too and i aint go nothin on sixthfloorfreak. i have 2 different friends with more bad *** 5.0's then you and my system is def louder then their idle. subs arent a waste of money if you ask me..they make your sound sound so much better.

Destructo
12-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I got two cheap arse Baja 12's in my truck running off a MTX Road Thunder 220 in a sealed box and it works great, I don't care if one person outside the truck can hear it, its loud enough to hurt my ears inside the truck and thats too loud.

Now, take my 350ci v8, remove the pipe off the headers and it might compete with some systems for SPL.

I actually only have rear 6x9 speakers right now because I haven't put any in the front, but the stock dash locations only allow for a 3.5" speaker, so i'm thinking just put some tweeters there, but the imaging won't be the best because of the angle. So I am then going to get some kick panel pods and put some good 5 1/4" 3-way speakers in those and then I will have a pretty good sounding system.

I'm running a Sony CDX-F7700 head unit also.

Oh, and I like sealed boxers better, I don't listen to much rap or hip-hop and mostly rock and I want the bass tight and clean.

Scott-300ex
12-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
what he was saying is your car must idle pretty darn loud to be louder than his system. in fact i doubt your car idles louder then my system too and i aint go nothin on sixthfloorfreak. i have 2 different friends with more bad *** 5.0's then you and my system is def louder then their idle. subs arent a waste of money if you ask me..they make your sound sound so much better.

well my friends get cheap ****, except for one of them and i can barely hear it when im sitting next to them

so what do your friends cars have?

Destructo
12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
130-140 decibels is where your ears will physically start to hurt, and ear drum rupture occurs around 160, so wear your ear protection when you go to these audio competitions ;)

Ex'In_Alberta
12-02-2004, 09:06 PM
learned my lesson about setting up a system from a factory deck, apparently the spl setting on the deck that adjusts volume depending on engine noise can really f*** with your sub, lose bass and then it kicks in and out...now its time for a new head unit

SixthFloorFreak
12-02-2004, 10:22 PM

what the hell is SPL?

okay, mom

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:p

Chanman420q
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
im running 2 JL 10w7's each with there own 500/1 amplifier for my subs. then i have alpine 6.5s in the door. And a XD Dual 7500 deck. Everything else is stock. I also have a 300/4 amp for when i pick up my JL 653 component set.

PS... If you build your box, DEFINITLY give it the manufactorers air space, i didnt, because i didnt think the air space made that big of a deal. i was wrong and will be rebuilding my box shorty.