PDA

View Full Version : Its time to start working out..

Punk'd
11-30-2004, 09:53 PM
I think its time I just go all out in workouts again.
What are some good exercises you can do for stronger harder and faster punches?

I hear punching something hard for some time strenghtens your knuckles is this true?

Thanks for your time:D

stocktires
11-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Is your only goal to punch faster and harder?

www.bodybuilding.com

Punk'd
11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by stocktires

www.bodybuilding.com

For now. One thing at a time and thanks for the link.

dbsbl1
11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Here's another one:

www.athletes.com

LazeR
11-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
I hear punching something hard for some time strenghtens your knuckles is this true?

No, it's not true. I was in (studied) Kung Fu San Soo for 2 years, i also did some Wing Chun (style bruce lee studied) and some Brazilian Jijitsu Grappling (ground fighting) The karate guys are the ones that believe if you punch things, or hit with the top of your on like a pole or something (the way you would block) you will actually strengthen it, that is false, they also think if you break something when it heals it will heal faster.

The thing that i did find out, is when we would "workout" (would be 2 or 3 ppl and all would take turns throwing a punch and let the person go from that punch, or you would have a punch thrown at you and you block it and do whatever, but at about one third the normal speed) anyway what i noticed was that when i first started i had a lot of bruises, after about a year, i would hardly get bruises from it, it still hurt the same, but i now don't bruise as easy! If you ever have a chance to go into martial arts i highly recommened either Kung Fu, or Brazilian Jijitsu, there 2 of the best fighting styles.

I really miss San Soo :( It was a lot of fun, and i learned a lot plus it boosted my confidence way up, with me being able to defend myself! I just don't have the time anymore, and couldn't make it to class, with work/school :(

**edit** Another thing, i know especially in San Soo, it is a great workout! Although it doesnt really build muscle, you do get stronger from it, and it really tones your muscles!

LazeR
12-01-2004, 12:25 AM
I'm not totally positive but im pretty sure this is me being thrown
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/3464/flip04-meithink.jpg

stocktires
12-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
I'm not totally positive but im pretty sure this is me being thrown
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/3464/flip04-meithink.jpg

I'm getting a red X on that one.
I've been interested in Brazilian Jijitsu. Are classes normally long and often? I don't really have much time on my hands but would love to do it.

LazeR
12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm getting a red X on that one.
I've been interested in Brazilian Jijitsu. Are classes normally long and often? I don't really have much time on my hands but would love to do it.

I'm pretty sure its working, is anyone else getting a red X ?

I never actually did Brazilian Jijitsu, i did the ground fighting portion of it "Grappling", The kung fu class was from 530-830, you could come in whenever you want and work out for however long you want, most belts he would just teach 1 new technique as you could say, but since yellow belts have so many, if you were there for about an hour you would end up learning 2! Sometimes he would also ask if there was something we wanted to learn, like if someone had us in this position or that position and how to get out of it! It was really a lot of fun.

I got some bad news, i e-mailed my instructor, and he informed me that her closed the school, in the beginning of september :(, but he is still teaching from his house, and to let him know when i want to get back into it! Which is cool!

Syrus
12-01-2004, 09:45 PM
I Recommend Judo, very amazing stuff you learn, and its mostly stuff you really will use in fights, and to defend/take downs. After you move up in belts, it becomes pretty leathal.

nosliw
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM

www.bodybuilding.com

yea i'm a member on their forums... awesome site. i was at 220lbs, 11%bodyfat with the help i got from that site..... now i'm at like 210lbs and 15%bodyfat.... lmao

LazeR
12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
I Recommend Judo, very amazing stuff you learn, and its mostly stuff you really will use in fights, and to defend/take downs. After you move up in belts, it becomes pretty leathal.

I was in Kung Fu for 2 years, i am a Yellow Belt, basically belts don't mean anything! It goes White/Yellow/Green/Brown/Black

takes about 6 years or so for a black belt, but as a yellow belt, i am about equivalent to a black belt in karate :rolleyes:, and that is no joke, the style that i studied is all about take downs, throws, submissions, arm locks, arm/leg/knee/neck breaks. You learn lethal things right at the get go, and you should only use them if you really need to! They get brought in slowly though, as you get better you learn things that are more lethal and more likely to be used. Also there is no stances or anything, you act like you dont want to fight, wait for the punch or do an offense attack and there most likely out for the count. <--- that is San Soo.......Wing Chun, the syle Bruce Lee studied is more of stand up hand to hand fighting, i was starting to do some of that and its crazy, its about feeling what your opponent is doing. Jijitsu is a lot like San Soo, and is more logical for day to day application, because when someone threatens you or whatever your gonna jump in your stance :rolleyes:, but you still need to be ready, and with San Soo/Jijitsu you can start when the punch is thrown, by blocking and responding and the attacker had no clue what they were getting into!

bansheeguy77
12-02-2004, 12:43 AM
have fun trying to "punch harder and faster" just do upper body lifting. bodybuilding.com is a great site so much info on there its crazy. coming up pretty soon im picking up boxing and ji jitsu. just watch some ufc tapes...like over and over and study how things go down. that helped me alot.

MY450R
12-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
I think its time I just go all out in workouts again.
What are some good exercises you can do for stronger harder and faster punches?

Thanks for your time:D
yes actually it does but only if you bruise or damage the bone
lets say you punch a wall and your bones are bruised (a hard punch will bruise bones)
well it heal it heals stronger than it was before you bruised it
this is true ive been to the doctor a million times for busted knuckles and chit
on my right hand my knuckles are much bigger than on the left
i broke my right hand 6 times and now have very strong knuckles

Alberta_Qaudin
12-02-2004, 07:04 AM
k from my experience of 7 years in Tae Kwan Do, if your an idiot and stand there punching a wall and you injure your hand, and when it heals your smart enough to try it again....you will still injure your hand, as for your nuckles getting bigger, thats true because when you hurt them and they heal the bone will heal larger but more brittle, it gets bigger because of the scar tissue thats grown around it, that will also be helpful in your goal for arthritis down the road. its just like tearing a muscle, no matter how good it heals or how much conditioning you do that muscle will never be as strong as it was

MY450R
12-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
k from my experience of 7 years in Tae Kwan Do, if your an idiot and stand there punching a wall and you injure your hand, and when it heals your smart enough to try it again....you will still injure your hand, as for your nuckles getting bigger, thats true because when you hurt them and they heal the bone will heal larger but more brittle, it gets bigger because of the scar tissue thats grown around it, that will also be helpful in your goal for arthritis down the road. its just like tearing a muscle, no matter how good it heals or how much conditioning you do that muscle will never be as strong as it was
uh you dont know what your talking about
i also took tae kwan do and i dont know what that has to do with anything
i work in a doctors office and all three docs just confirmed what i just said
yes your knuckles will get bigger from scar tissue but noone was disputing that
if you dont believe me ask someone who know and dont dissagree just to disagree

bansheeguy77
12-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by MY450R
uh you dont know what your talking about
i also took tae kwan do and i dont know what that has to do with anything
i work in a doctors office and all three docs just confirmed what i just said
yes your knuckles will get bigger from scar tissue but noone was disputing that
if you dont believe me ask someone who know and dont dissagree just to disagree

i dont think he is disagreeing to disagree. seemed like he came across it just trying to state facts. anywho what you confirmed was what he just said. your knuckles will get bigger thru the scar tissue but wont be as strong and cause arthritis. ask the doctors that and see what they say cause im curious bout this.

Alberta_Qaudin
12-02-2004, 11:42 AM
i dont think he is disagreeing to disagree. seemed like he came across it just trying to state facts. anywho what you confirmed was what he just said. your knuckles will get bigger thru the scar tissue but wont be as strong and cause arthritis. ask the doctors that and see what they say cause im curious bout this.

thanks....i'm not trying to argue or dissagree, i was just giving my 2 cents.....now i do know that a if you break a bone they say it will heal stronger...but am i wrong in saying that a knuckle is a joint and not a bone? with catrlige? which will cause arthritis....i've broken both or my wrists and i can tell ya they're not stronger, but they sure do get sore alot ever since

MY450R
12-02-2004, 11:48 AM
yes everything i said is true
your bones become stringer if they are broke.yes you get arthirtis
but when scar tissue forms it make bones thicker and stronger.
just like in tae kwan do you have to do push ups on your knuckles
the reason is they become stronger period

bansheeguy77
12-02-2004, 12:43 PM

dude ya needa relax no need for the attitude

LazeR
12-02-2004, 01:10 PM

If you break a bone it does not heal stronger. It will break easier the next time something happens. That's just an old myth

400exrules
12-02-2004, 02:22 PM

yooo chilllax

stocktires
12-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Bones generally don't heal stronger. My wrist is weaker than before. It was weaker after the first time I broke it, then It healed for 2 years and snapped again. My collar bone was the same way. Both get sore or hurt at times.

400exrules
12-02-2004, 06:14 PM
mmm broke my big toe few years ago...now i cant completely bend it one way, and it still hurts sometimes

tp300ex
12-02-2004, 07:54 PM
train for boxing:p

6arett
12-02-2004, 10:45 PM
A quad gives you a good workout ;)

LazeR
12-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by 6arett
A quad gives you a good workout ;)

^^ hey man just to let you know, in your sig it says "HFM Pipe (soon)"

6arett