PDA

View Full Version : 3 Pipe observations

Pappy
11-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Well, it took me over 5 months to try out 3 different pipes on the 450R. I dont have any fancy dyno numbers, just seat of the pants feel:p

I started out with the HMF Bill Ballance pipe. This pipe worked well, it smoothed out the 450R and felt like a decent gain. The fit and finish were superb. The noise level was a bit more then I could handle for trail riding and the small amount of racing I manage to get into.

Second up was the highly touted White Brothers E2 pipe. They claim this pipe is 96db and it seemed to be alot quieter then the HMF. It came with 2 different end caps...1 for race and 1 for quiet riding. There was a small difference (atleast to me) regarding the db limit but i felt no change in power. The biggest draw back to this pipe is it's billet mount on the silencer. It is weak and although I didnt break mine others have not been so fortunate.

Third pipe is a full blown Curtis Sparks. This is on par with HMF all the way. The power felt less down low but really pulls hard thru the mid to top. Id bet to say that on a modified engine this pipe would be right at home.

I was happy with all 3 pipes, with exception to the noise levels. The White Brothers needs to have its mount redesigned but other then that all 3 made good power.

I did like the length of the White Bros. and feel it would be a decent all around pipe. The HMF is probably the best bang for the buck for the average rider/racer, with the Sparks pipe taking the win in the bad atitude department. i dont know why but it just looks like a performance pipe:p

So there is my unbiased take on 3 popular systems.

Martin Blair
11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
I can add some feed back between balance and yoshi trs.

I had the ballance aluinum slip-on and it was nice, I took the trm core out and left it open though, that that was kinda piontless. Felt good gains all arround, but talked to some about the yoshi trs and decided to get it.

The yoshi TRS on the 450r is amazing, It pulls about the same on low-end as the bllance but opens up for much better midrange and topend. When you open up the airbox and get a new cam the yoshi really complements them well, the stock 450 cam really restricks breathing, but even with stock cam, yoshi is far better then ballance. For woods and mostly stock bike the hmf would be good and for 250 from c&d cant beat the price. But if you can save up the money I would go with the yoshi TRS talk to Denton Racing they can hook you up for lot less the rocky mountain for same stanless system, they carry full stanless threw ti/carb top of the line pipes.

Jersey450R
12-01-2004, 06:08 AM
I've concluded about the same as Pappy. I have a HMF and I absolutly love the pipe. Great sound, really improved the low to mid range power and awesome looks. Hands down the best "all around" pipe for normal recreational riding. The white brothers is ok but dosent sound as good and to me didnt open up the 450 as much as others. still a decent pipe though. If i were going to buy another pipe, it would probably be the sparks, not because it looks cool but because i would want to feel the power in different places of the powerband. Even though the Sparks sounds a little louder than my HMF, I still feel the HMF produces the best sound through their pipes. Dont know what it is, but its just that way. I'm always looking for change and change is good, so maybe i'll sell my pipe in a year or so and try the sparks, who knows. Oh and yea, dont forget about TC racing systems. They are expensive but if your looking for the best pipe for motocross, the TC is your brand. Loud as chit though, but worth the stomach rumble. Just some of my opinions. Dave

Oh yea, and Yoshimura. um...

Motoman440
12-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

The HMF is probably the best bang for the buck for the average rider/racer

I agree 100%!!! Can't beat the HMF for the price. Pappy, don't know if you have the HRC kit or not but in combination with the HMF pipe the HRC kit will take care of the mid range and top end while the HMF takes care of the bottom. Great combination!!!

spincr4hire
12-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Motoman440
the HMF pipe the HRC kit will take care of the mid range and top end while the HMF takes care of the bottom. Great combination!!!

I agree with that. I'm sorta with HN400 on the TRM with the Ballance pipe, though, I can't really tell it does much. I may need to jump back to the 14 tooth front and see if I can tell any difference then.