PDA

View Full Version : Horses on atv trails WTF????

banshee364r
11-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Rock Dam WI

well its seems as if the horse riders *****ed long enough that they now can ride on the atv trails . there was horse **** all over the trail anf the riders were yelling at atvers to slow down when we went passed them. and then to make things worse we got stopped by the dnr and he was asking us about our machines light,reg sparkarrestors,etc when the horse riders came by drinking beer and smoking cigs the horse riders dont have to register their horses or pay anything for that matter to the trail system this really pisses me off

Pappy
11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by banshee364r
the horse riders dont have to register their horses or pay anything for that matter to the trail system this really pisses me off

turn it around on them...get support and try to make them pay thier share.

450Racer
11-30-2004, 08:15 PM
i say, plug your nose and roost that schit on them! :devil:

Mxjunkie
11-30-2004, 08:26 PM
up in upstate pa we ran into a group of them ALL THE TIME, it got so annoying, we would be crusing along, going pretty fast having a fun time, horse group brings us to a stop and yells at us for scaring the horses when they are throwing beer bottles in the woods when they are done with them etc, its sad that the offroaders get blamed for everything the other people do, but there its the chosen few atvers etc that do the same :rolleyes:

muddkitten
11-30-2004, 08:35 PM
we have a place in NC where people ride horses. its a pain in the arse to have to slow down and wait for them to go by so we don't spook em. if we do spook em they blame it on us. well what do they expect its a atv riding park not a horse riding park. they know we're out there when they come. makes me so mad!:grr: :mad: :grr:

chucked
11-30-2004, 08:56 PM
take pictures, black mail

Mxjunkie
11-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by chucked
take pictures, black mail

good idea, next time im at the trails cameras comin along :devious:

Destructo
11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by muddkitten
we have a place in NC where people ride horses. its a pain in the arse to have to slow down and wait for them to go by so we don't spook em. if we do spook em they blame it on us. well what do they expect its a atv riding park not a horse riding park. they know we're out there when they come. makes me so mad!:grr: :mad: :grr:

Where are you talking about in NC? I know they have horses in Uwharrie, but they have seperate trails, I'v never seen horses on the ATV/OHV trails.

Horses and motorized vehicles don't belong on the same trail if you ask me, riding a sport quad i'm sure most of you know that the fenders don't protect you from debrit coming off those tires, and mud/dirt is fine, but I sure don't want horse chit flying onto me.

deathman53
11-30-2004, 09:32 PM
where I used to mountain bike it was like that, and those minefields are big!!!! Bikes don't have fenders to protect you from it.

Bush0102
11-30-2004, 09:37 PM
just be patient...as a fan of quads and horses i hope you guys can reach some kind of compromise. I understand how both sides feel, but just stay respectful and dont do anything stupid.

To alot of people, their horse is their life, and they may have 20,000 bucks (I've seen $250,000 dressage and walking horses before) in the darn thing. Same thing goes for quad riders. I know i couldnt give up either one of those things...

But see? You at least have one thing in common. Just work it out peacefully and please dont try to spook the horses- someone or a horse could get really hurt.

Good Luck!

Destructo
11-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Riding up at the Cabin we would come accross horse riders, I tried to keep the 200R quiet as possible with the supertrapp pipe on it but that was hard lol.

Thats one of the reasons I wanna keep my 400ex stock, I got a little tired of the loud exhaust.

You just gotta ride real slow and keep the RPM down as you go by the horses and you'll be fine, but some horses just spook way to easily and theres not much you can do, atleast you tried, and if they get angry nothing you can do.

wheeltrax
11-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Being from wisconsin as well. I know what ya mean about rock dam and that whole line of trails. There are many trails in wisconsin that are multiple use trails now too. I also hate the horse poo all over the trail. I dont have a problem with slowing down and passing them, but i hate having to dodge sh*t while im out to ride, especially with cut fenders lol. It also doesnt make sense that we have to pay for the trail and they dont. I have also seen plenty of horseback riders make alot of litter as well, and as stated previously, that makes us ATVers look bad and causes out trails to be shut down.

hondarider2006
12-01-2004, 12:41 AM
ahhh you gotta love horses...Last one that was on a trail around here, I just held it wide ****in open. Mind you guys I do have that TC shorty....Ya that horse was goin crazy:devil: Maybe if ya scare enough of them they will realize that horses and atv's do not mix;)

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 12:58 AM
been dealin' w/ that for 25+yrs at our stomping grounds, We(the bikes/atvs) just shut down when/if we run across them in the trail, dont wanna spook the horses and get someone pissed or hurt

Only a few have been pricks, we have to remind them that the trails they ride on...we made...for them to ride on, usually shuts them up:D its not the horses fault..its the owners/riders, Ive never seen a horse person w/ a pooper-scooper either...just gotta wheelie over them and hope they roost on the dude following:devil: :blah:

markk
12-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Rock Dam WI

well its seems as if the horse riders *****ed long enough that they now can ride on the atv trails . there was horse **** all over the trail anf the riders were yelling at atvers to slow down when we went passed them. and then to make things worse we got stopped by the dnr and he was asking us about our machines light,reg sparkarrestors,etc when the horse riders came by drinking beer and smoking cigs the horse riders dont have to register their horses or pay anything for that matter to the trail system this really pisses me off

I agree, They should have to pay/register every year to ride that horse just like we ALL have to do, too have any fun I.E. boating/fishing/hunting/atving/motorcycling/ We all have to pay our way, If horses where to tear up that trail, it would be because of 4-wheelers, not horses!

Its messed up, But u should be thankfull that u actully still have a place to ride! Its illegal to be drunk in public also!!!

sharkinthepool
12-01-2004, 05:30 AM
I agree as well, that is bulls**t( or Horse sh*t):D Good luck though.
If you would have had a camera when you had seen this you would have been better off!
Here in Ohio the trails are seperate just because they are afraid the exhaust will scare the horses. But the spark arrestor thing will get you here as well. They do not say much about headlights though!:ermm:

The drinking in smoking thing would have got them a ticket here though. Most likely kicked out of the park system as well.

muddkitten
12-01-2004, 05:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destructo
[B]Where are you talking about in NC? I know they have horses in Uwharrie, but they have seperate trails, I'v never seen horses on the ATV/OHV trails.

buscoe beach in goldsboro. last time we went out there a horse got so scared it just laid down with the girl on it. the owner even made us some jumps on the side of the lake to play on and last time we were there they had the horses squashin down our jumps!:grr: we're going up there this weekend and if horse poop flies on me it's gonna be on!:grr: :mad: :grr:

Rico
12-01-2004, 06:06 AM
Just poop on the trails and show the horses who's boss...:chinese:

muddkitten
12-01-2004, 06:12 AM
oohhh that's not lady like! lmao:D

LTZ400rider
12-01-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
ahhh you gotta love horses...Last one that was on a trail around here, I just held it wide ****in open. Mind you guys I do have that TC shorty....Ya that horse was goin crazy:devil: Maybe if ya scare enough of them they will realize that horses and atv's do not mix;)

haha thats crazy. i hate horse ***** especially when they take a dump all over the roads. thats bs they leave road apples all over the place, even in public parks pathways. im gonna start changin my oil and dumpin old oil all over the trails and i bet u some1 will get pissed

muddkitten
12-01-2004, 08:56 AM
i still can't believe some people are dumb enuff to ride horses around us. they're just askin for someone to get hurt. then they just turn it around and make it our fault.:grr: i liked those lil jumps too...now they're all flat and squashed:grr:

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 11:12 AM
i still can't believe some people are dumb enuff to ride horses around us. they're just askin for someone to get hurt. then they just turn it around and make it our fault.:grr: i liked those lil jumps too...now they're all flat and squashed:grr:

ahhh you gotta love horses...Last one that was on a trail around here, I just held it wide ****in open. Mind you guys I do have that TC shorty....Ya that horse was goin crazy Maybe if ya scare enough of them they will realize that horses and atv's do not mix

:mad:

wilkin250r
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
In public lands and parks, the horses have just as much right to be there as ATVs do. It seems pretty close-minded to assume that YOU have complete and utter licence to access, but other people do not, simply because it's inconvenient. ATVs are rather inconvenient for all the tree-huggers, and they complain about it all the time. Your response to them is to live and let-live, but you aren't doing the same with horses.

Unfortunately, that also means they have the right to poop right in the middle of the trails. Deal with it, it's not the end of the world. By the same token, no horse owner should ever get mad at you for spooking their horse. They're on open land, on a public trail, and there are bound to be ATV riders around. If their horse gets spooked by loud exhaust, then they shouldn't be around them. It's not reasonable to expect everybody else in the world to change their riding styles or areas simply because their horse is easily spooked. If I can't stand loud noises, I wouldn't go to a gun range or a truck pull. If your horse can't stand loud noises, don't bring them on an ATV trail.

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
its not usually the noise that spooks the horse, its the sudden noise and then the quad blowing by them. Usually most trail horses arent skiddish, but you have to understand they dont know what a quad is. If you can just slow down a little bit, they won't spook.

just be careful and respectful and you shouldnt have a problem. Theyre just trying to enjoy the place as much as you are...

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
its not usually the noise that spooks the horse, its the sudden noise and then the quad blowing by them. Usually most trail horses arent skiddish, but you have to understand they dont know what a quad is. If you can just slow down a little bit, they won't spook.

just be careful and respectful and you shouldnt have a problem. Theyre just trying to enjoy the place as much as you are... exactly how I see it also, the quad wont react, horses have a brain and will, Im not a horse buff but Ive had them and understand how they are, I kill the motor and let them have the right of way personally

dont matter if its bikes trikes, quads or horses..we all ride and enjoy doing it in the woods

muddkitten
12-01-2004, 01:04 PM
oh don't get me wrong, i ride horses too. i'll stop and let them go by. but some of the people that are riding the horses don't show the same respect to us. just like our lil jumps. why do they have to squash em? it's not like the horse is gonna get big air on em! now we can't ride on em. i came to a complete stop and the horse still got spooked and the guy started yellin at me like i did something wrong. i was tryin to be nice and let him by.

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
just like our lil jumps. why do they have to squash em? it's not like the horse is gonna get big air on em! lmao:D

well if someones a prick about it, they get it right back. Ive had hikers act like it was our fault ppl dump garbage and ruin the area, I once again told him thats not how I am and had to remind them a few times that the trails they're hiking on..we helped make so they could!! It usually gets them to stfu

theTman
12-01-2004, 02:55 PM
wow this thread made me mad....i used to ride horses and sometimes ride my moms too...we have 2 of them....

think about this

what if YOU were on that horse and a quad went flying past you....the horse spooked...reared...u fell off...the horse runs off...or even worse...steps on you,falls on you...trust me..hurts worse when yuo fall off a horse

so have some damn respect....:rolleyes:

and about the horse ****....does less damage than the quads....

yoshz400rider
12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
I am sickened of this post ya some horse people dont like quad riders but look in the mirror half you guys dont like the horses they just want to ride to my mom rides horses and they dont get scared around quads at all but some horses do real cool hold open a loud *** quad and scare the horse so the rider falls off and gets permenatley injured CUT ME A BREAK you guys are pretty immature and around here we just slow down and wave there gone in a second anyway you wonder why we cant ride anywhere and just so u know alot of horses are registered and also they have to get special tests to take them out of state or onto public areas bet you dont have to pay someone to say ur quad is allowed to go somewhere to a GNCC race you guys need to grow up and respect people enviromentalist dont want horses on there property either so why cant everyone get along

markk
12-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by theTman
wow this thread made me mad....i used to ride horses and sometimes ride my moms too...we have 2 of them....

think about this

what if YOU were on that horse and a quad went flying past you....the horse spooked...reared...u fell off...the horse runs off...or even worse...steps on you,falls on you...trust me..hurts worse when yuo fall off a horse

and about the horse ****....does less damage than the quads....

Dont get fired up ppl, I just feel that horse, and quads should have there own trails, I also wouldnt want to be on a horse when a quad, or anything motorized went flying beside me!
But as far as drinking beer, and riding a horse, or a quad, (BOTH DUMB)

Mabey talk to your DNR officer, and have somone who rides horses out there talk about seperating the trail system, U all should be luck to even have any place to ride IMO!

banshee364r
12-01-2004, 09:40 PM
i for one have a very bitter attitude towards horse riders just for the simple fact that we have a 40 member atv club that use trails that we built on over 100 different landowners property and now the horse club goes on our trails whenever they want not a big deal but the club is full of big city pricks who have horses and dont help to maintain the trail system a majority of these people dont live in the area but since one or two landowners allowed them on their property they feel they can go anywhere that is why our club is raising money to purchase our own property so we dont have to deal with anymore of this bull****

yoshz400rider
12-01-2004, 10:00 PM
it happens with everyone u can be sterotypical

WANNA HEAR SOME CRAP
my parents just recently purchased 180 acres of land 60 acres of field and 120 of woods surrouned by other areas of land that is uninhabitaed my parents ride horses my dad rides both quads and horses my brother and I both race we got the ladn to ride on and practice and just have some peace well alot of people ride there no problem everyone we see we say go ahead your welcomed to ride no posted nothing ride horses ride quads dirtbikes go four wheeling on the four wheel trails whatever you like just dont litter or cuz trouble you figure peopole would be happy with this WRONG we had a plow not a field plow one to smooth out the road into the property so we could get the trailers back there easily we figured the thing weighs about 300 pounds it will be safe wrong someone decided to steal it and then some quad riders decide to ride without helmets drunk and throw out trash and beer cans everywhere I chased one guy down didnt know i was a racer:eek2: scared the **** out of him when i was kickn at him goin 30 mph he pulled over and I made him pick everything up or I was callin t he cops so he did well then someone decided to steal our stumps ya stumps that we had for sittin by a fire then stole some scrap we had to take to the junk yard so we put up a cable they cut the lock with bolt cutters then first day of deer season there were 30 people out there hunting on private property with no permission that will be the end of that im takin the Z out this weekend with the pipe and ill hunt my own damn deer What I am sayin is people are disgusting we had all this property for everyone to use cuz we know how frustrating it is and they mistreat it
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 10:27 PM
man, that sucks! You need to put up signs that say:
Private Property: Tresspassers will be shot on sight

...or you could always plant lanmines or dig a big pit, put a tiger in the bottom, and cover it with leaves. They'll fall in and the tiger will eat them. Works every time!

Put up barbed wire or concrete some posts into the ground, those are the only real solutions i could think of.

yoshz400rider
12-01-2004, 10:36 PM
well I am 19 and my brother is 21 and we are crazy so we will jus scare the piss out of them I wouldnt want to do ne thing like barbwire and stuff because I dont want anyone to be hurt and I love quadriders and fourwheelers but wouldnt u just think that they would be happy they have somewhere to ride whenever hell I am even putting in a mx track that they will all ride on but as soon as some one destroys it with a truck then out comes the 22:devil:

JD400exrider
12-01-2004, 11:20 PM
ahhh you gotta love horses...Last one that was on a trail around here, I just held it wide ****in open. Mind you guys I do have that TC shorty....Ya that horse was goin crazy Maybe if ya scare enough of them they will realize that horses and atv's do not mix

Originally posted by LTZ400rider
haha thats crazy. i hate horse ***** especially when they take a dump all over the roads. thats bs they leave road apples all over the place, even in public parks pathways. im gonna start changin my oil and dumpin old oil all over the trails and i bet u some1 will get pissed

It is dumb *****es like you that close trails down for horse riders and /or ATV riders. Have Damm Brain. :mad:
Most but not all true trail horses can handle noise. It is the all out wide open blasting by on a quad that will cause Any animal to spook. All it takes is the horse to reer up and off goes the rider. Then the scare begins. If the rider is lucky eneough not to get stepped on, rolled back on top of or land on their head. It happens far to often.

As a owner of three horses and a quad. I enjoy doing both. I would not take my horses out on a mixed trail for that reason or would I allow my kids to. I don't think horses and quad trails should be shared. But since some are, many horse people choose to ride on them. If it is public land. PUBLIC means just that. Show respect as you would want. How would you like a big buggy flying through your trails not giving a chit about your little quad. I can tell ya if I was the horse rider and you came blasting by me on purpose missing myself and my horse. I would hunt you down.

As far as horse crap on the trails. Give me a break. It is ground up grass. What is the difference between cow pies on public grazing land. Big Difference between horse crap and Oil. But then again with the remarks you have stated you lickley don't know the difference and don't care.

You show the horse riders respect they will show you respect. If they don't Be the bigger person and motor on by in a respectful manner. Why take the risk of injuring someone for life or some animal out of shear stupidity.

JD400exrider
12-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by yoshz400rider
well I am 19 and my brother is 21 and we are crazy so we will jus scare the piss out of them I wouldnt want to do ne thing like barbwire and stuff because I dont want anyone to be hurt and I love quadriders and fourwheelers but wouldnt u just think that they would be happy they have somewhere to ride whenever hell I am even putting in a mx track that they will all ride on but as soon as some one destroys it with a truck then out comes the 22:devil:

I would put up the No Tresspassing signs anyway even if you allow a few to ride. It is just to protect yourself or parents. Someone gets hurt riding on your land that was assumed to be open for riding. Well .......... It could prevent or help ya in a lawsuit down the road.

yoshz400rider
12-01-2004, 11:39 PM
i know i just hate those friggin posted signs it may come to that thouhg although it says private property must ask owner to hunt

JD400exrider
12-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by yoshz400rider
i know i just hate those friggin posted signs it may come to that thouhg although it says private property must ask owner to hunt

I with ya. posted signs look like a jail or something.

private property must ask owner to "access" "enter" "tresspass"

cknox88
12-02-2004, 02:52 AM
i for one have a very bitter attitude towards horse riders just for the simple fact that we have a 40 member atv club that use trails that we built on over 100 different landowners property and now the horse club goes on our trails whenever they want not a big deal but the club is full of big city pricks who have horses and dont help to maintain the trail system a majority of these people dont live in the area but since one or two landowners allowed them on their property they feel they can go anywhere that is why our club is raising money to purchase our own property so we dont have to deal with anymore of this HORSE****

sry i just had to correct that!

preach on bother!

250EXking
12-02-2004, 09:32 AM
we have amish people that ride their horse and buggys on our trials, those winky *******s.

muddkitten
12-02-2004, 09:37 AM
that was my biggest thing. like squashing our jumps! they want to ride there but they don't help to fix what they mess up. :grr:

Bush0102
12-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 250EXking
we have amish people that ride their horse and buggys on our trials, those winky *******s.

Haha take a picture of them and see what happens...they wont be back.

wilkin250r
12-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by theTman

think about this

How about you have a brain. If your horse is easily spooked, don't bring it near my quad. I don't complain about your horse crap, you don't complain about my noise. That's how it works, we BOTH have equal right to be there.

Now, I'm not going to gun the engine to intentionally spook your horse and piss you off. If I am near you, I'll slow down to an idle, I won't TRY to spook your horse. But I sure as hell ain't about to shut my engine off while you take your sweet time passing by. Your horse has the problem, why should I have to modify my behavior because of it.

Like I said, I'll have a certain measure of respect, I'm not going to do anything intentional, but if your horse can't handle a little noise, maybe you should keep it away.