PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when the rev limiter kicks in??

04-19-2002, 09:31 PM
How do you know when the rev limiter kicks in. I was riding my buds and was getting on it pretty hard and then it started to cut in and out. Anyone have a lonestar stearing stem how do they hold up.

Jim300ex
04-19-2002, 10:00 PM
ya your rev limiter kicked in it kinda seems like you can feel the stroke of the piston slowy gain the loss of power but very sudden and it should sound wierd too.

VegasEx'r
04-20-2002, 01:07 AM
Any momentum you had is suddenly gone.

Smoker
04-20-2002, 06:52 AM
Anyone know of a GOOD rev limiter to buy. I've heard so many horror stories about hard starting and the difference they made not being worth the money. :p

nakomis0
04-20-2002, 10:12 AM
YOur bike will sputter. Cut in and out like you said , thats the rev limiter.

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 11:03 AM
I have the WB rev limiter and have never had a problem starting my bike. The only thing I did notice about starting is that the battery does need to be at full capacity.. If it is just a little weak it will sound like it wants to start but will never fully kick over. That is my two cents.

PDunes300ex
04-20-2002, 11:06 AM
I heard that a rev limiter is relatively useless unless you get an engine built, with a cam designed to produce power in higher RPM's than stock. If you have a stock motor the rev limiter acts as a safety so you don't go beyond the safe RPM limits of the stock engine specifications. There would seem to be very little gain with an extra 1000 rpm especially when the stock engine has already gone past peak horsepower in that gear. A rev box on stock sounds like it could only cause premature engine failure by constantly over revving the engine.
Just my .02

CBW
04-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Deathbringer
I have the WB rev limiter and have never had a problem starting my bike. The only thing I did notice about starting is that the battery does need to be at full capacity.. If it is just a little weak it will sound like it wants to start but will never fully kick over. That is my two cents.

exactly Deathbringer,,,,,i have the WB limiter also and it acts the same as yours........

nakomis0
04-20-2002, 02:20 PM
Can get your stock rev limiter rebuilt. That should stop the hard cold starts.

The WB limiter needs the engine to spin at a slightly faster rpm, before it will allow the sparkplug to spark.

I just put my stock limiter on in the winter.