PDA

View Full Version : high octane gas question

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 02:18 PM
This might be a stupid question but here it goes anyway. Do you guys think its safe to run 100+ octane gas (like maby 110) in a 400ex with a pretty much stock motor?? A station here carries it, its called turbo blue and there's only a couple that has it.

44oEX
11-30-2004, 02:24 PM
well I am no gas expert but there is no reason for it to damage anything.

The only thing is that ras gas is used for high compresion engine. and since yours is stock it probably won't do anything as far as power or atleast not much.

So save you money and run 91octane

Juggalo
11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
it wouldnt hurt your motor at all but you would just be wasting money. you wont be making any more power then usual. in fact you could actually be losing power running race gas in a stock motor. the reason for this is the higher octance gas burns SLOWER then lower octane. this means it takes more heat to get the air fuel mixture to completley burn so you might not be burning all your gas and end up losing a slight bit of power and not only that THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY! the reason race gas is used in high compression engines is because the more you compress the air fuel ratio the more heat is built up. eventually you compress it too much and build up too much heat and it explodes before the spark plug ignites. this is what causes pinging and is extrememly bad for your motor. thats why you should run race gas in high compression motors and just stick with premium (i always ran regular actually) on your stock motor. race gas is pointless until your runnin high comp.

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 02:30 PM
I usually run just plain ol' regular (I think its like 80 sumtin octane), you think I should at least run Plus gas?

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Yeah around here its like $2.50 a gallon. Just thought I might give it a shot but hear you guys opinion first, dont want to mess up anything...

44oEX
11-30-2004, 02:34 PM
it would be better yes but you don't have to

Flynbryan19
11-30-2004, 02:34 PM
It won't "hurt" anything other than your wallet. :) You only need to run race gas in high compression motors to fight detonation. In actuallity your motor will actually make your motor put out less hp. If you just like the smell or something, go for it. Other than that your wasting your money though. Just run high test.

44oEX
11-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
it would be better yes but you don't have to

I was talking about the regalure gas

Bush0102
11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
theres no reason to run high octane unless you have high compression. Octane does not equal power. Just stick with 93 and use the money you saved to get a piston...then you can start running the good stuff.

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
If you just like the smell or something, go for it.

Actually, yes. Thats one of the reasons I like it. Would that gas make it have that aroma (sp?) like you smell at the races? Or do they put something else in there gas that does that?

Bush0102
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
that smell at the races youre talkin about is probably 2-stroke exhaust....

yumm

mephyst
11-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah its probably the few 2 strokes. Nothin better then smelling the burning of Race Gas mixed with Golden Spect. But 4 strokes burning race gas still smells good. Race gas smells sweet.

LazeR
11-30-2004, 03:21 PM
You should at least run 93, but with a stock motor you dont need anything more than that. Also the smell, its mostly 2 strokes that you smell, or if there running alcohol that smells good to ;)