PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions when splitting the cases

Blown 331
11-30-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm in the process of splitting the cases on my 85 ATC. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there? I'm guessing crank seals would be a good idea. The bike doesn't have much use, it was still on the original piston and the rod is tight. I think I'm giong with an ESR 310 kit. Should I do anything with the crank? I don't want to spend a ton of money but if there is anything that needs done I will do it.

44oEX
11-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Just a little hint. When you open up the case put the motor on it's side so the tranny stays in place. Then take out the tranny in one piece. and put it on a table in one piece. it's alot easier that way so you don't have to try to figure out where everything goes

beak7707
11-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Just take your time and look at everything really good before you remove it. Be sure to check your tranny for any wear and replace anything on it that might look bad. If I were in the bottom end I would replace all bearings and seals, its a good piece of mind. If you go through it all at the same time you know its all new. I think thats alot better than putting a new part in here and there.

#1speedbump
12-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Check your gears and the wear on them. Chances are second gear will need to be replaced and also the shift fork. These are the two problem areas in the tranny in my experiences.

Also have someone true the crank and check the tolerances and play. It may feel ok but that can be misleading

beerock
12-03-2004, 08:35 PM
why are you spliting the cases?

if you do, replace all the tranny bearings, update the main bearings to 89, they have on extra ball and will help with a 310. if your motor is a 85 then you may have to find out if they make the 310 for short rods.... if not and you have to get a crank, go with a 88, they were the best year.

also do what speed bump said.

You will need to be careful getting the crank out if you want to use it again, dont hit it with any metal it will mess up the crank.The right side case should come out with only a slight tap with a rubbr mallet in front by the front motor mount hole and in back by the kick start area once the gasket is separated it should slide off. the tranny and crank will stay in the left side case.

also, you might want to throw a 89 clutch update in there as well.

check the clutch basket for ridges too, if there are, think about getting a hinson, thay last 3-4 times longer then stock.

also, you might want to think about replacing the bearing on the counter balancer and the counter balancer holder.

after all thaty it should be ready for at least 150-200 hours more...

when you tighten the cases use a 1/4 ratchet with a 8mm and extension. put your hand around the ratchet where the extension connects to it and tighten the cases like that.