PDA

View Full Version : hot cam stage 2 valve adjust.

quadgod440ex
11-30-2004, 10:15 AM
wat should i be adjusting my valves to with a hot cam stage 2 ? the rockers and valves are all stock i have a 10.1 compression piston full x6 exhaust wb rev box uni filter jetted carb ..... wat are the valve clearance for the cam ? and is there a specific way to do it ? i usually just go by the T on the crank and then line the notches on the cam sproket evenly to the head ? should i be looking for anything spacific ? please give me all the details i wanna make sure this is done right . thanks for the help guys

cals400ex
11-30-2004, 02:03 PM
yes, align up the T mark on the flywheel. make sure your on the compression stroke (all the valves will be loose). make sure you adjust the valves when the bike is fully cold!!! the specs are .005 for intake and .006 for exhaust valves.

quadgod440ex
12-01-2004, 12:37 PM
thanks for replying i appreciate that ... i got a card with the cam and it says .013 is that correct for the valve setting or is that something different .. and is there a trick to be able to tell if the valves are loose like ur saying ?

mojoe2878
12-01-2004, 01:30 PM
you can tell if the valves are loose by grabbing the rockers and moving them back and forth, if they feel loose then its on TDC.
idk about that card that came with the cam, does it say anything else on it, maybe thats the duriation of the cam lobes. but i know for sure its not the valve settings for it. cals was right ,for the hotcam stage 2 its .005 intake and .006 exhaust.

honda_runner
12-01-2004, 06:12 PM
cals400ex posted

yes, align up the T mark on the flywheel. make sure your on the compression stroke (all the valves will be loose). make sure you adjust the valves when the bike is fully cold!!! the specs are .005 for intake and .006 for exhaust valves.

I thought u were suppose to adjust valves when the motor i running temp.??? I have a stock cam.

Cole Trane
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
For a stock motor the valve clearance is .004 intake and .005 for the exhaust. I guess the cam increases the valve clearance.

quadjockey400
12-01-2004, 06:42 PM
are those specs the same for a stage 1 hot cam? if not what are those?

mojoe2878
12-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by honda_runner
cals400ex posted

I thought u were suppose to adjust valves when the motor i running temp.??? I have a stock cam.
cals is right, you are supposed to set the valves only when the engine is cold. if you set them after the engine has warmed up you will get a false reading.

mojoe2878
12-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by quadjockey400
are those specs the same for a stage 1 hot cam? if not what are those?
you can use the same clearances on the stage 1 that the stage 2 uses.

markk
12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
hotcams is .005intake .006exhaust, And with the pappers in the box it says that they require a little bit more clearance!

Bush0102
12-01-2004, 09:01 PM
can you use stock clearances with a stage 1?

cals400ex
12-01-2004, 11:30 PM
ok guys,

it is important that you adjust valves when the bike is cold. heat will make the metal expand. if you ever feel your rockers when the bike is hot, i bet they won't have any play. so, make sure the bike is fully cold. it will make a big difference.

the stage 1 and stage 2, according to hotcam, uses the same clearances. however, when my buddies ran the stage 1 they ran the clearances with a tight .005 and a tight .006. some tell me they use the stock clearances. either will work. it is usually easier on the engine to go a little loose, but with the stage 1 and the rockers a little loose, it ticks more so. well, that cam ticks when the rockers are tight too, but not quite as loud.

when you align the flywheel on the T mark, your not necessarily on the compression stroke. align it to the T. feel the rocker arms. all 4 should have some play. if you don't feel play in all four, rotate the flywheel 360 degrees (1 full rotation) until the T lines up again. now feel all the rocker arms. if they are looser than before, your on the compression stroke. if not, rotate the flywheel one full rotation again and line up the T. you will be back where you started and should be good to go. another way of doing this is opening up the valve caps and looking down at the cam with a flashlight. the cam lobes will be facing down on the compression stroke.

honda_runner
12-02-2004, 07:13 AM
wow, mabye thats why my valves are still tickin, i had the motor hot when i adjusted the valves.:o

i dont feel like tearing my plastics off again, damn