PDA

View Full Version : Might buy a lt250

440ex2001
11-30-2004, 12:21 AM
One of my buddies is selling his lt250. he says it needs a helicoil on the swing arm and a new 3rd gear. He says he wantts 500 bucks. I don know much about lt250's are they a decent quad? I have heard they are fast. How fast are they compared to the quads out today. Are the 400ex fast or 450r fast. Or in between. I know they dont have any bottom end and you have to rev them out to get power but I was just wondering about potential as far as drag racing .

angieyes
11-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
One of my buddies is selling his lt250. he says it needs a helicoil on the swing arm and a new 3rd gear. He says he wantts 500 bucks. I don know much about lt250's are they a decent quad? I have heard they are fast. How fast are they compared to the quads out today. Are the 400ex fast or 450r fast. Or in between. I know they dont have any bottom end and you have to rev them out to get power but I was just wondering about potential as far as drag racing .
ask ltandraptorider that is what he has and it has smoked the raptor and quite a few others
yes he has work into it but ask him

LTandRaptorider
11-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by 440ex2001

Yes, I have a 1992 LT... PM me for any info you need. In good condition, they are a good quad. And yes they do have low end power...

why does your buddy have a helicoil on the swingarm? And if third gear is gone, chance it may be because of a broken dog... which may have damaged other gears. $500 is pretty cheap though, as long as you are getting something fixable. ;)

Power wise... stock the LT will beat a 400ex... mine not stock smoked a 450R. :D

Guy400
11-30-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
why does your buddy have a helicoil on the swingarm?I'd bet money one of the adjustment bolts on the back of the swingarm snapped off.

As far as speed goes, my 15 year old bone stock '87 (absolutely never been touched) with a +2 rear sprocket ran bumper to bumper with a new piped/filtered 400EX.

JTRtrx250r
11-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Those LTs were actually pretty damn fast!! I know of an old 85 that I can beat...but if we had the same gearing ...I think he'd hand me my *** on a straightaway:o :p

chucked
11-30-2004, 07:52 AM
I heard they need to be rebuilt more often then most 2 strokes??? Is this true?????

Quad18star
11-30-2004, 10:03 AM
I had a '92 and it ran awesome . They are pretty damn fast in stock form and with a bit of motor work , they run even better . In stock form , I beat a done up Banshee while racing on the lake . He had studs and I didn't . After I sent my motor to LRD for their work , nothing around here was able to touch it . As far as maintenance .... they are the same as any other 2 stroke .... do proper maintenance and it'll run fine .