PDA

View Full Version : loading a quad alone

ZQ8Dude
11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
anyone?

ive gotta meet a friend up at the OHV park tomorrow and i dont have ramps, and dont really want to pick them up yet.(but will if i have too)

its a lowered truck, sits a tad lower then an S10 Xtreme.

last time we just used the automotive mechanics lift ramps and then lifted the bike into the bed. but i dont have access to them tomorrow morning....

anyone?

400exrules
11-29-2004, 09:04 PM
pick the front end up and set ot on the tailgate if u can...otherwise idk?

mudslingingurl9
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
do it the redneck way and back up into a ditch :D

Destructo
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
I usually just back my truck up to a bank (4x4 truck with 33" tall tires) and use some short wood boards.

I plan on buying ramps here real soon because I broke a board loading my dirt bike once and that wasn't fun.

With a lowered truck it should be pretty easy to get it in there. But using boards or ramps is just about the only way to get it in there.

kyex40047
11-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
pick the front end up and set ot on the tailgate if u can...otherwise idk?
thats what I always do

sportraxkid
11-29-2004, 09:10 PM
dude its easy just pick the front end up, slid the bike to the tailgate on its grab bar set the front tires on the tailgate the pick the back of it up and put it in there. Thats what I always do I think ramps are a big pain in the ***.

SRH
11-29-2004, 09:11 PM
tip it back on the grab bar, back the truck up to it, let the front down into the truck, pick the back up and push it in

mojoe2878
11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by mudslingingurl9
yep, thats the best way. i have to do this everytime i load mine up and i have extended ramps, my truck is just so tall i cant ride anything up a ramp with it just sitting on level ground cause its like trying to climb up a damn wall.

Destructo
11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Try and put a quad in the back of my 1985 Chevy K10 4x4 with 33x12.5" tires on it and then you'll start loving ramps. Oh yeah and it doesn't have any lift.

Dan_Guetter
11-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by SRH
tip it back on the grab bar, back the truck up to it, let the front down into the truck, pick the back up and push it in

11-29-2004, 09:13 PM

that makes me a canadian redneck:p i never herd that before

SixthFloorFreak
11-29-2004, 09:14 PM
edit: you guys beat me to the "quad on the grab bar, back truck up to it" approach

:(

Mxjunkie
11-29-2004, 09:17 PM
i either find a hill or put it up on the grab bar push it down and slid the mofo in

Destructo
11-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Front end will fit between the wells on a full-size, for a mid-size I have no clue.

Yall make it way too hard, i'm just gonna buy ramps and drive mine up into the truck :p

nosliw
11-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by sportraxkid
dude its easy just pick the front end up, slid the bike to the tailgate on its grab bar set the front tires on the tailgate the pick the back of it up and put it in there. Thats what I always do I think ramps are a big pain in the ***.

ZQ8Dude
11-29-2004, 09:32 PM
ill give it a try tomorrow morning. the front end just barely squeaks by my fenderwells. so it should work. if not i guess ill run out for some ramps.

getting it back in shouldnt be a problem as the park has loading ramps

genxracer
11-29-2004, 09:35 PM
be careful with those ramps... if they dont connect to the tailgate some how, the rear tires can shoot the ramp out from under you and you end up on the ground under the quad. Seen this happen TOO many times. pick it up and toss it in. Its tough sometimes but you'll get used to it.

roostin_dale
11-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by sportraxkid

thats how i do it, right there

MY450R
11-30-2004, 06:56 AM
i always uuse a hill or something like that
or i lift the front and throw the back in
but for unloading i just pull it right off the truck

Pungohboy
11-30-2004, 07:27 AM
I also just throw it in the back of the truck i take ramps with me sometimes incase i get hurt and cant lift it back in but it is easier to me to load it that way. Of course now it is way easier with my z71 because it is stock height my old k1500 4x4 with 3 inch body and 33s was a little harder but it still wasnt a big problem. The ditch method is also easy if available.

11-30-2004, 07:49 AM
buld a jump and launch it in.

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 08:17 AM

Thats how we do it around here. We have a Blazer and a long trailer so we just drive them up and slide them around side by side and they fit good.

Or make you some ramps...:huh

Alberta_Qaudin
11-30-2004, 08:33 AM
i know with my extreem getting it on to the tail gate is a joke, but where i have a shortened tailgate cause of my flareside and ya gotta lift it up over my tail gate hinges, then over the wheel wells, so to make life simple i'm just gunna buy a flat box cover and drive it right up onto it

ZQ8Dude
11-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
i know with my extreem getting it on to the tail gate is a joke, but where i have a shortened tailgate cause of my flareside and ya gotta lift it up over my tail gate hinges, then over the wheel wells, so to make life simple i'm just gunna buy a flat box cover and drive it right up onto it

whats a flatbox cover?

anyways ive decided to just go out and grab some ramps as soon as kragen opens. just to save me the hassle.

the person im riding with may be already up there so i dont have time to "figure it out" today

kinda funny people are saying a ditch when i mentioned its a loweredtruck....ive gotten my colorado stuck from a pile of gravel that was deeper then i expected lol(LineX shop is kinda out in the country)

Alberta_Qaudin
11-30-2004, 09:00 AM
flat box cover is like a tono cover but it sits flush with the top of your box on rails mounted in the box, can be made out of coated ply wood, aluminum, ect, getting mine made out of brushed checkered aluminum i think

400grl
11-30-2004, 09:03 AM
I drive mine up into my truck all the time on ramps - you just have to be sure to strap the ramps to your hitch or something and make sure it's tight - that way you can't shoot them out from under you. I have seen too many people do that, too. I have lifted a quad into a lowered truck bed before by myself.....it's not hard, you just have to get the front end up first. Lift with your legs so you don't give yourself a hernia! LOL!! :)

MY450R
11-30-2004, 11:24 AM
hey corry you seem like you are tough one
i wouldnt want to mess with you lol

86350x
11-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I would just pick the front end up, put it on the tailgate. roll er forward, then pick up the rear and slide it in. Doing this with a full size is a little tougher then a s10 though. I don't suggest that to everyone, normally I use a trailer now.

I have borrowed a set of ramps before, worked pretty good. If you don't have a cover on the back of your truck, you have to back over them a bit so nobody steals them while your out riding.

"I drive mine up into my truck all the time on ramps - you just have to be sure to strap the ramps to your hitch or something and make sure it's tight - that way you can't shoot them out from under you. I have seen too many people do that, too. I have lifted a quad into a lowered truck bed before by myself.....it's not hard, you just have to get the front end up first. Lift with your legs so you don't give yourself a hernia! LOL!!"

Like big bird said, lift with your legs. And same thing with the saftey hooks. Most of the ramps hook together also, so they can't slide out sideways.

And if your a hot chick like 400grl, 5 guys will be there waiting to help you load it as soon as you take your helmet off :p

MY450R
11-30-2004, 11:38 AM
aint that the truth
oh hey let me get that for you as i blow out a nut
no prob i got it

400grl
11-30-2004, 11:50 AM
LOL!!! Yeah......guys are sweet.....always offering to help with stuff! :) ;) :D

wilkin250r
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 86350x
And if your a hot chick like 400grl, 5 guys will be there waiting to help you load it as soon as you take your helmet off :p

Yeah, and if you take your shirt off, you got 100 guys willing to help! :devil:

86350x
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
He said it not me:p , Big Bird doesn't even need to take her shirt off to draw a crowd. But yeah, that would deffinantly draw some extra attention.

2002400ex
11-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
aint that the truth
oh hey let me get that for you as i blow out a nut
no prob i got it

lmao!

Hondadudeehhhh
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
this is how i load my quads and bikes up.....

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=loading-a-bike.mpg

prettty simple

ZQ8Dude
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
well i went and bought the ramps this morning. worked pretty well. in a funny twist, my tailgate latch system made a perfect place for my safety chains to connet to my bed.

took me a couple tries to get it up into my bed as i suck with a clutch.

my poor truck though, before today it had never seen an ounce of mud and only a few scratches....now it looks like a beat up work truck. tomorrow ill have to spend the day detailing it and hoping to polish out any scratches on the body(not the bed though)