PDA

View Full Version : New York has banned ATVs

Quad101
11-29-2004, 08:09 PM
New York bans ATVs from 2.6 million acres
November18, 2004 – The crackdown is official.

The state of New York has banned ATVs from the 2.6 million acres it owns in the Adirondack Forest in the northeast part of the state.

That's an area more than the size of the states of Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

The Adirondack Park Agency approved proposals offered by Erin Crotty, commissioner of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, to close 49 roads to ATVs. ATV use will continue to be allowed on five roads from September 1 to December 15 each year by seasonal permit to allow hunters to get to primitive camping sites, for a period not to exceed three years.

The roads are in the Aldrich Pond, Independence River and Black River wild forests unit management areas, as well as the Watson's East Wild Forest.

The five roads open by permit are Jackworks and Maple Hill roads in the Aldrich Pond Wild Forest, and Herkimer Landing, South Shore and Wolf Lake Landing roads in the Black River Wild Forest.

So now, all 54 roads are closed to ATVs, except by special permit.

The proposal was submitted last spring to the Adirondack Park Agency for consideration. The roads were closed in the fall.

The Department of Environmental Conservation is developing an ATV policy for the forest preserve, state forest, and conservation easement lands.

``It is not the policy of DEC to provide riding opportunities on state lands,'' Crotty stated last spring. ``Motor vehicle use, however, provides a means of access to DEC programs such as hunting and fishing. This policy will establish a set of criteria for evaluating the suitability of roads for ATV access in limited circumstances in compliance with existing law.''

red
11-29-2004, 08:10 PM
that sucks

Honda4trax250x
11-29-2004, 08:11 PM
dude, dont scare me like that, when i saw the titile i was thinking it meant all of NY

dirt308
11-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Some how they keep thinking we riders are making things worse and worse what gives that they always specifically pick on atvs and nothing else. I think its time they found something else to try to ban.

ZRider400
11-29-2004, 08:42 PM
haha thats funny.

ive known about that for a few months now.

a track i ride at is like right in the adirondack thing i think.... i think thats only for state land, but if the person owns the property they can do w/e they want.

400exrules
11-29-2004, 08:43 PM
and now it begins......starts small.....but before we know it, atv's will be illegal

:(

Destructo
11-29-2004, 09:00 PM
They'll have to pry my ATV from my cold dead hands, just like my guns. Most of the land I ride on is private anyway and they can't do a damn thing about it!

Didn't they make Jetskis illegal in New York too or something?

Syrus
11-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
and now it begins......starts small.....but before we know it, atv's will be illegal

Yup, first 2-stroke ban, now certain parts of the country are out-lawing ATV's... i thought only sleds had this problem, but now ATV's are getting hated aswell.

400exrules
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Yup, first 2-stroke ban, now certain parts of the country are out-lawing ATV's... i thought only sleds had this problem, but now ATV's are getting hated aswell.

wtf sleds too? how come no one complains about the bikes?!?!?:huh

Ralph
11-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Is there anything we can do, WE ARE GETTING SCREWED!

Destructo
11-29-2004, 09:09 PM
wtf sleds too? how come no one complains about the bikes?!?!?:huh

Because there aren't as many of them, I don't see very many people riding bikes, I see way more people riding quads, and since thats what the majority of idiots ride thats why they get all the attention.

Get all the drunk idiots who race around the national parks tearing crap up off the trails and ATVs won't get such a bad name.

genxracer
11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
and i thought New Jersey was bad:mad:

ZRider400
11-29-2004, 10:05 PM
if they ever outlaw it completely im moving to canada.

n00b on a 400ex
11-29-2004, 10:51 PM
or alaska

11-30-2004, 07:54 AM
They are currently banning the Squares in Fl. Picayuo Forest. Really sucks, The officers will not be enforcing it until mid next year. What a crock!!!

MY450R
11-30-2004, 08:06 AM
i mean bikes tear up land more than wheelers do or at least the same anyway
not only that there are more bikes than wheelers out there
why not ban them
i dont get this fricking country its begining to become a joke with alll these regulations and bans

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 08:11 AM
glad I live in the south...http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/tweetz/moon.gif

hell we support atv's around here with special places to ride, clubs and stuff...

FTR250Rnif
11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Ya know this kind of **** really pisses me off. the complain about the ATV's and dirtbikes destroying the environment, and yet they have no problem letting developers come in and wipe out hundreds of acrse at a time to make some lame yuppie housing development. it pisses me off....:grr:

11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
glad I live in the south...http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/tweetz/moon.gif

hell we support atv's around here with special places to ride, clubs and stuff...

NC has awesome riding spots!

lol
11-30-2004, 01:46 PM
wait does this include lake george?!?!?!?!?!?! How about Lake Placid?:confused:

400exrules
11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by FTR250Rnif
Ya know this kind of **** really pisses me off. the complain about the ATV's and dirtbikes destroying the environment, and yet they have no problem letting developers come in and wipe out hundreds of acrse at a time to make some lame yuppie housing development. it pisses me off....:grr:

dude exactly! is so bullsh^t

big_poppa49
11-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sinister450
NC has awesome riding spots!

Yeah. Then we got big riding areas next door in WV which is not too far of a drive. Only thing is I wish there was some sand dunes near by...:(

dunnonuttin
11-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by sinister450
NC has awesome riding spots! my friends up the street have an MX track that we ride on and i'll ride the 90 that they have lying around. that pos bottoms out so easy that it hurts to ride it and the tires are bald so when its wet, we go to the big field across the street and them basterds spin me out:mad:

SRH
11-30-2004, 03:34 PM
you guys are freaking out for nothing, this only applys to state owned land.....we couldnt ride on it til about 2 years ago now its closed again, i never rode there and never wanted to, the people who do like to ride state land are usually irresponisble and wreckless and shouldnt be riding on a quad, the ones who arent are family people whos kids eventually end up riding one of the parents quads and killing themselves,they try to tell me i cant ride my land and there will be problems, i dont even have my quad registered it ran out like 6 months ago wtf is registration doing for me, the ******* cops are so lazy if it did get stolen all they do is take a report and nothing happens, some guy got killed at a party by a group of guys they arrested the people who did it and let them go...bucnh of hicks around here the cops dont do anything besides seat belt checks and speeding violations occasionaly bust some kid for having an ounce in his shoe, i ride on my land, im respectful to are neighbors they all know us and i have no problems, half these areas that get closed get closed for good reason, were just making fools of are selves by getting them opened up and letting a bunch of weekend jerkoffs trash it for everyone

JUSTINcredible
11-30-2004, 04:17 PM
when ATVs are outlawed only outlaws will ride ATVs

gyt-r450
11-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
when ATVs are outlawed only outlaws will ride ATVs

:eek2:

Destructo
11-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Generally when they quit letting ATVs ride an area it means the dirt bikes too, a lot of times ATV includes the dirt bike riders also.

TC426EX
11-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Thats bad news man.... The rest of us will probably get slipped the wiener too in the future sometime, so thats why Im glad I race MX.... I started off trail riding, I still love trail riding/hillclimbing, and I cant imagine not being able to get together with some buddies, slap on the Razr 2 tire setup and hit some wicked trails!! Nothing beats it!

brian-250
11-30-2004, 04:42 PM

ill be a convicted felian.:o nobody on gods green earth is stopping me from riding, if this is a free country i should be able to ride around my yard and not get a arrested.:p

Hondadudeehhhh
11-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by SRH
you guys are freaking out for nothing, this only applys to state owned land.....we couldnt ride on it til about 2 years ago now its closed again, i never rode there and never wanted to, the people who do like to ride state land are usually irresponisble and wreckless and shouldnt be riding on a quad, the ones who arent are family people whos kids eventually end up riding one of the parents quads and killing themselves,they try to tell me i cant ride my land and there will be problems, i dont even have my quad registered it ran out like 6 months ago wtf is registration doing for me, the ******* cops are so lazy if it did get stolen all they do is take a report and nothing happens, some guy got killed at a party by a group of guys they arrested the people who did it and let them go...bucnh of hicks around here the cops dont do anything besides seat belt checks and speeding violations occasionaly bust some kid for having an ounce in his shoe, i ride on my land, im respectful to are neighbors they all know us and i have no problems, half these areas that get closed get closed for good reason, were just making fools of are selves by getting them opened up and letting a bunch of weekend jerkoffs trash it for everyone

the only post on this thread so far that actually says something

MadMax27
11-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Those trails sucked anyway. They were hundreds of hikers, mountain-bikers and bunny-****ers everwhere. Get regestered, buy Insurance, get "Trail Pass" There opening everywhere, exit 21 is the oldest ( Northway ) Its about $55 a year, tons of maintaned trails. Couple opening west of Albany too.

250rpilot
11-30-2004, 05:36 PM
is there something you can do? YES!! join your local atv clubs, go to township meetings, write your congressmen. anyone can do these things!!! and EVERYONE must!

keep in mind, the big money race clubs could care less if you can ride on public land. if you have nowhere but the tracks to ride, where will you ride? yep, the track. and that means $$$$$ for them!

also, the absolute number one biggest complaint with atvs and dirtbikes is NOISE!!!! take your loud *** pipes and throw them away if you plan to ride for a few more years. if they cant hear you, they cant complain about you! loud is NOT cool in our sport, it is what is ruining it. and thats a fact.

groups like www.paatving.com and other state and local organizations are fighting tooth and nail to stop these eco-morons from stopping our sport. join in the fight, before we all end up being forced to sell our quads and sit here doing nothing!

PERFECT EXAMPLE- a local township to me was getting complaints about atv's in the township creating too much noise and damage. a town meeting was held, with 6 people in favor of a total ban of atv's, snowmobiles and dirtbikes. over 200 showed up against the ban. we can still ride here thanks to our fellow atv'ers coming together for a common cause. it turns out the complaints were coming from one guy, and he stirred up the whole eastern part of PA with his complaining.

MORAL OF THE STORY- it only takes ONE person against us to ruin the sport forever. DONT LET IT HAPPEN!!!!