PDA

View Full Version : drag strip

Scott-300ex
11-29-2004, 03:46 PM
ok, as you can see my car in my sig, its a stick. Now i am going to go to the drag strip next year quite a bit probably, and i was wondering how you guys let the clutch out. i will have to do a burn out cause my tires like to break loose when i am cruising along and get on it a bit. Now, i don't want to pop it and spin my tires, or break a u-joint, and wear down the clutch, but i don't want to take forever letting it out slow.

so i'm just wondering what you guys do.:ermm:

Bush0102
11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
thats a nice car, man...are you running an 1/8th or 1/4 mile strip? The situation should depend on your traction...you should look into a set of drag tires that you can put on once you get to the track.

reconmaster
11-29-2004, 04:32 PM
my friend had a mustang like urs is urs 1 of the small mustangs with a big motor in it 4 its size if it is then u should kill @ the races. My friends Stang did a wheelie 1ce i heard and it layed huge strips

Quad18star
11-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Well there's no easy way to put this .....letting off the clutch slowly , will cause you to lose .... I'm telling you this right now . Most races are won at the tree ... based on your reaction times ... especially in bracket racing ( which I'm sure you're gunna be running) . Get yourself a set of Mickey Thompson ET slicks and set up your suspension correctly and you shouldn't have too much trouble with it breaking loose . But I'm telling you ... you better be dropping the clutch or else you'll be packing it up on the trailer more often than advancing to the next round .

redlineranger
11-29-2004, 07:16 PM
gonna suck if he does it one to many times and looks back and sees nuthin but smoke:ermm:

Quad18star
11-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
gonna suck if he does it one to many times and looks back and sees nuthin but smoke:ermm:

That's the joys of drag racing . I grew up in a drag racing family and we have done drag racing for the last 15 years or so . If you go to the track every weekend ... you're bound to break something every time .... no matter how big or small it is . It's the risks involved . If we came home from a weekend at the strip , and only have to spend a few hundred dollars on parts ... we count ourselves lucky .

Get yourself a heavy duty racing clutch .... that's the only way to do it . But like I said ... if you're letting off the clutch slow off the start .... pack it up on the trailer ... you're heading home .

Scott-300ex
11-29-2004, 07:32 PM
thanks for the compliments guys

maybe i could find some slicks off ebay, that would be sweet

i would be b a d a s s

everyone would want to be my friend

ok, so, i'm going to let the clutch out fast, after doing a monster burnout for grip, lol

thanks a lot guys, noone i know has sticks they race, so you guys have really helped me out!:D

thanks

i'll keep you up to date.

any more info if people are still reading this would be cool

later

Scott-300ex
11-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Well, hell, now that i know how to post pictures i'll put one up.

Oh and it's the 1/4 mile.

http://img31.exs.cx/img31/1246/mymustang.jpg

Fast mofo!
:D

Scott-300ex
11-29-2004, 07:42 PM
wow, that pik is huge.

lol

Quad18star
11-29-2004, 07:43 PM
I'll give you a little hint ...... when you warm up your tires ... don't do a monster burn out . Lightem' up for about 3-4 seconds then roll up to the line . Doing a monster burnout does nothing but wear your tires down for no reason at all . By actually doing a long burnout ... you heat the tires up to the point when oil from the tires breaks your traction loose while going down the track and it also forms tiny little balls of tire compound which does the same affect ..... breaks traction .

Get a set of 10 inch slicks .... they'll do your car perfectly .

brooksgnm
11-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Very clean 85 you got there!! That is what I like to see! I am a big fan of the 4 eyed fox stangs if you haven't picked up on it yet! I have an 85GT like yours.. an 83 Capri.. a 91 LX.. an 88 Turbo Coupe... used to have a 78 Zephyr.. an 84 SVO.. the list changes constantly lol... Feel free to drop a line if you are ever looking for parts.. I'd be glad to cut a few deals to someone with a worthy car such as yours. About your question, I can tell you right off the bat you will not get anywhere off the line with those tires! My 85 has some similar mods just slightly more radical.. and I never cut better than a 2.2xx 60 ft with crappy street tires, just spins 1st & 2nd every time no matter if you slip the clutch or not. If you want to drag get yourself a set of 26x10 et drags and mount 'em on some cheap wheels. I will warn you now.. if you go w/ slicks you NEED subframe connectors.. ask the stress cracks on my 85 t-top! Some other helpful things for hard launches are 4cyl springs in the rear, disconnect the front sway bar, and get a good clutch after yours is toast! This is just the tip of the iceberg feel free to ask any questions and I should be able to help ya out. Also, don't get upset when you go out there and can't get S##t for an ET your first few times, it takes lots of practice to get a 5spd down the track. Have fun!

Scott-300ex
11-30-2004, 03:57 PM
thanks man, i also have subframe connectors, just haven't put them on yet

mine is a t-top too:)

i can't believe you cracked yours, what happened

i thought i would just shift as fast as i can and my dad has an '04 mach 1, and we were pullin out of a side road, pullin on to the 4-lane, i get straight and get on it in 2nd gear going about 45-50, the posi rearend kicks me out, cause i was almost straight and i go sideways for about 20-30 feet, it was so awsome, i was over a 45 degree angle i had to over countersteer to get her straight, but it was a perfect slide, i was like, awsome, scared the crap out of everyone behind me though. If someone would have been with me they would have s h i t their pants. lol. ANYWAY after i let off and get it straight, i get up to 93mph pretty quick, and i never knew i could shift so fast! I was like, omg! i thought i would be a lot slower than that, well, to me it was fast, i was like SWEET! then the next week the top shifter bolt broke so i couldn't shift unless i was like 1 foot more pulled back than usual, so i fixed it. Better take it easy next time. lol

yeah, i'll probably be nervous though, and i know what you mean about getting a 5-speed down the track, I'll have to work on it, because it's different everytime.

you got a nice settup of cars too, and thats awsome you got an 85 too

if anyone wants to post pics of your cars go ahead

thanks man

quadrcr161
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
if your running street radials, dont do a burn out, it can cause you to spin more. just bark them to clean the tread and go. if you rev and just drop the clutch you will roast the tire. once your staged hold the clutch right to the point it wants to roll, then as it goes green smoothly yet quickly let the clutch out and roll on the gas.

oh yea, while staging you will want the revs up when you let off the clutch, dont try to roll on the throttle off idle.

Quad18star
11-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Oh I'll guarantee you will have a shaky leg when you get up to the line . I remember my first time at the track ...... trying to stage and my leg was shaking like crazy . It took me a few times before the jitters left .... but after that , you can concentrate more on your staging .... shallow or a deep stage , play mind games with the guy beside you , etc . I'm sure you already know , but never leave when you see the green light . ALWAYS go on the 3rd amber light . I love bracket racing ..... cuz when you got a fast car , and the guy beside you is running a slower car .... you watch him leave the line and you're stuck waiting for your green light . You sit there thinking ... " Chit I'm never gunna catch him" but then you do ..... joys of drag racing . :D

Scott-300ex
11-30-2004, 09:30 PM
yeah, i hope i get a pro tree where the 3 light up at the same time, i practice my reaction times all the time on everything and when im bored too. i've done lights on the street and stuff just for practice, lol. I did reaction time to lights before where the computer does it and done good, because i've been practicing it for like 7 years:p

i can't wait for the track to open up.

i never have but can i shift without the clutch, im not going to but wondering about it

and i kind of know what double clutching is but i need more info on it, doesn't it take like 5 times as long.

later

bignorm
12-01-2004, 01:16 AM
my buddy got a nice car. its a 93 lx 4.11 gears and its been stroked i forgot the displacement but i think its a 347 ci. anyways he runnin low 10's on motor and then wen he throws the 200 shot of nos on there itll hopefully be in the low 9's. he has weld drags lites like u do and he has mickey thompson drag radials and they hook up fine. he runnin 4.11 gears an his car hits 80 mph in second gear. thats quick. lol

-josh

initall
12-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Put the frame connectors on
Get some slicks or cheater slicks
Launch at 3500 to 4000 rpm

I had an 89 GT with
373 rear gear
fram connectors
GT 40 intake
Trick flow heads
Motorsports E303 cam