PDA

View Full Version : Locknut, stock or aftermarket??

Thump_It
11-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Okay, so tomorrow I'm ordering LT Burgards A-arms, Axis LT shocks front and rear w/linkage. I'm gonna buy an axle as well. Is an aftermarket locknut a must, or will I be able to get by with stock for now?

kazpr
11-28-2004, 10:10 PM
I used my stock one for awhile. I did get a LSR one though looks alot better and to me is cheap peace of mind.

Thump_It
11-28-2004, 10:11 PM
How much was the LSR locknut?

kazpr
11-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Got a heck of a deal on it from JH Racing. I think he has them on sale right now actually.

Thump_It
11-28-2004, 10:30 PM
How well is JH Racing's turnaround? Or how fast do you think it would be if I ordered all that stuff from him that I listed a few posts up? OH, and thanks for you input too.

kazpr
11-28-2004, 10:33 PM
He is in Oklahoma and I am in Kansas so we are close. I get everthing I order from him the next day.

<edit>
He treats me so right I dont even ask him what the $$ is anymore I just order what I need or want and he takes care of me!!

Thump_It
11-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Well i'm in Oregon, I'm not in any hurry though if he has the best prices. It seems as if he would cut me a good deal if I bought a bunch of stuff from him at once.

simoniz
11-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Go with your stock nut until something else better is made. The LSR is crap. I've had 3 and had problem's with all 3 after time. Never had a problem witht the stocker. Like said above it's not as pretty but it's pain when you can't keep a LSR tight for more than 5 or 6 laps.

xsr_racing28c
11-29-2004, 11:30 AM
are you guys talkin about the LSR anti-fade or just the regualr style>>??? cuz i havn't heard of anything wrong with the anti-fade locknuts from LSR..

RedRacer44
11-29-2004, 11:32 AM
I have the LSR locknut and have not had any problems with it. It does come loose every now and then, once every 8-10 motos under harsh race conditions. Its a breeze to tighten back up though, takes maybe 5 minutes max! But the rear end stays tight, so no worries. We ran the stocker on an RPM axle and could never get it to stay tight. 1 or 2 motos and that thing was loose again.

simoniz
11-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I don't know what the h@ll the problem is but mine will not stay tight for 1 freekin race. I tighten it up tight as *&%^. Tighten the allen head screw till the aluminum almost touches and it still comes loose. Locktight won't work either. Very aggravated?? This is the third one I have had problems with.

R3Concepts
11-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Thats probably becuase you have the old LSR lock-nut, and yes they are crap. LSR has a dual pinch bolt design that is much better. I use the stocker, but either will work fine. THE LOCKNUT IS A MAINTENCE ITEM, IT WILL NEED TO BE TIGHTENED REGULARLY ESPECIALLY, IF YOU RACE HARD. Sorry for the caps but locknuts are a huge misconception.

kazpr
11-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Ya mine is dual bolt.

remlapr
11-29-2004, 07:29 PM
I had the RAD dual pinch bolt locknut on my EX, very nice and I never had a problem with it - also had stainless hardware. Probably about the same thing as the newer LSR, but maybe cheaper. C&D can get one for you...

4fiddyR
11-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I use the stocker and I'm getting ready to trash it. Comes loose constantly with my lonestar axle.
Honestly every ride it is loose, I'm gonna try the Lonestar anti-fade. Hope it works better.:ermm:

bobbo97f150
11-29-2004, 08:55 PM
I have run the RAD and Durablue locknuts on my Lonestart axle. Both come loose. I would have to tighten the RAD after 10 laps or so even after I would disassemble it the night before and cover all the threads in loctite including the pinch bolt. The Durablue comes loose but a lot less often. I through the RAD in the trash. Both were the single pinch bolt design though. I haven't run a stocker long enough to know about them. I have heard duct tape and loctite works well with the stocker.

dantwo
11-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey kazpr
Are you sure your lock nut was coming loose or was it something else wearing out. Did you ever mark your lock nut to see if it backed off. I think your problem is bigger than you think and it is not the lock nut. It just dose not sound right to me that you went throught three lock nuts and had the same out come. I am sure if you mark your lock nut, you will find your problem lies else where. Also keep in the back of your mind. When you ride these bikes hard their will allways be a certain degree of maintance on keeping things tight. Yes it should last more that a moto, but please double check your problem because I am sure it is not the lock nut.
Dan @ LSR

dantwo
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Sorry the last post was meant for Simoniz
Please get back

kazpr
11-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks Dan. Glad to see someone post on this. I bought the locknut w/ assurance from JH Racing that it is the best setup for me. Ya hopefully he can figure out what is going wrong.
Dan is locktite needed @ all on the locknut? Thanks alot Kazpr

dantwo
11-30-2004, 02:16 PM
You can put blue lock tight on the pinch bolts, but it really is not needed. When installing your lock nut, please do not over tighten with adjusting tool. You are just putting your bearing and lock nut through unneeded stress. Just make it tight enough to get the play out. Other than that you should be good.

FatBoy Racing
12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
i put the mezaro's nut on both of mine and they haven't budged since -- problem is GONE and the price is good. see their review on this site also.

have fun

Thump_It
12-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Is there a site for Mezaro's product?

FatBoy Racing
12-08-2004, 12:34 PM
http://www.meszmoto.com/

the nut is $49 for hondas, a little less for others

have fun!

quadjeff
12-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I have a RPM anti-fad and it is great. The stock sucks and comes loose.. It is a little spendy but I have had this for 8 months. Also make sure to keep up on your bearings in the stock carrier. Only will last for 4 months with a ton of riding in the mud etc.

simoniz
12-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks Dan.