PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading an upgraded engine

Chanman420q
11-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Right now i have a 11:1 weisco piston and a HC's stage 2, id like a litte more power all the way around. Which cam shaft should i go with, i was thinking the TC GNCC grind cam, but not sure. Im not really interested in going the hardened rockers or shortend valve guides route. What about the white brothers all around cam or track cam? Also i was thinking of going to a weisco 12.5:1 comp. Would it be fine to order the 416 piston with 12.5 comp? and just hone the cylinder? or would the bore size be a little bit diffrant? Also i plan to have the head ported too. but thats another story

LazeR
11-28-2004, 10:04 PM
From your sig you already have a 416, you SHOULD be able to just hone it, but it might be a little off, im not sure on how good the pistons are machined to be exactly like the others! with 12.5:1 comp i would definately say you should have a strong rod, like a carillo! As far as a cam, i can't help ya :(

cals400ex
11-29-2004, 11:21 AM
honing is usually sufficient. it is always recommended to let a shop take a look at it though. i have run the stage 2 and the TC mx grind cams. both are similar. i honestly think the TC may produce a bit more power up to peak rpm. the stage 2 may rev a bit higher though. both will easily go well past the stock rev limiter. the gncc cam will be much different than the stage 2. this cam will produce low end power and won't rev near as high. i don't know if this is what your looking for or not. a higher compression piston will go right in. a heavy duty rod and head studs may be needed, along with race fuel.

Chanman420q
11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
well honestly, i want bottom end, i race MX, so i want the power out the gate and around the turns. For soem reason theres this myth that u want top end for MX racing, i find that very un true, if i was in 5th gear pinned then yes id want all the top end i can get, but im usually 3-4th gear, so thats where i want my power. So maybe the TC cam would be a good idea. What about the white brothers cams?

cals400ex
11-29-2004, 08:34 PM
i have no experience with the white brothers cams. i think they make a couple. i would think if you race mx, a mx cam would be recommended. they only reason why i would consider the gncc cam is if your riding on tight tracks or simply want to have more power at lower rpms. i have never seen the gncc cam in use, i so i can't tell you too much about it. i know when i called tom up he did talk that cam up, but then again he specified it was a woods cam.

Chanman420q
11-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have no experience with the white brothers cams. i think they make a couple. i would think if you race mx, a mx cam would be recommended. they only reason why i would consider the gncc cam is if your riding on tight tracks or simply want to have more power at lower rpms. i have never seen the gncc cam in use, i so i can't tell you too much about it. i know when i called tom up he did talk that cam up, but then again he specified it was a woods cam.

doesnt really seem like there are that many options for cam shafts. I thnk im gunna call tom and ask him, see what he says, but i do think im gunna go with the TC cam