PDA

View Full Version : Before you guy's get the Elka's,PEP's,etc..........

KEN1
11-28-2004, 07:31 PM
I recently had my local shop here in Mesa Arizona do a complete revalve job on my stock front and rear shocks on my YFZ. Before I did this I was going to shell out about $1,800 for a set of Elka's because the stock suspension was just plain out kicking my *** and leaving me sore all over.

Custom cycle here in Mesa recommended me to let them do their revalve(about $400 for all 3 shocks)and guaranteed me that they would be as good if not better then the Elka's because the stock YFZ shocks are already top notch but are just harsh at slower speeds.

My test was this past weekend at Glamis. The sand was damp and rutted all to hell from all of the buggy's and such. The revalved suspension was steller!!!!Felt like a new bike actually. I was going much faster thru the rough stuff and was taking 5-10 foot drop-off ledges and landing on what seemed like a bed of pillows..........NO BOTTOMING WHATSOEVER!!!

I am so,so freakin happy and it saved me a load of cash. My upper body has no soreness at all and this is from 4 days of non-stop riding.

The stockers have so much potential and imho you don't need to spend thousands on aftermarket shocks. My 450 is perfect now.I figured i'd pass this info on to you guy's not happy with your stockers.CHEERS!:D

SRH
11-28-2004, 09:05 PM
elkas arent 1800.......youd be better off spending that 400 bucks on a set of elka econos, better built shock , and just leaving the rear alone, the front shocks probaly fade faster than non rezz elkas, you can give them a revalve and stuff but id bet you they fade because the shock bodies are still low grade stuff, any shock if vavled correctly will feel great but theres other stuff to look at as well, did you get zps/ssd and triple rate springs on this deal?

TBD
11-29-2004, 11:25 AM
We have been doing some revalving with the stock YFZ shocks also. The design of the shock and the internal components are really good. We found that by making one modifacation to the internals made a huge difference in eliminating the harshness. As far as the material they use it is of very good quality. I doubt that you would of been better of with Elkas. Sounds like your very happy with what you got.

400grl
11-29-2004, 12:50 PM
I am probably going to be revalving my shocks as well.......my fronts actually suit me well for MX the way they are, but my rear shock could use a little softening.......although I was bottoming out a few times this weekend racing, so maybe not. I am totally happy with the stock shocks......you CAN race this quad the way it is.......it amazes me every time I race this thing.

Ken1 - thanks for the info.....there is actually alot about this quad you can leave stock - I think people are just used to shelling out money as soon as they buy something.......and they think spending alot of money will somehow make them faster..........

It took me being broke to realize how good the YFZ is in basically stock form.........

SRH
11-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I am probably going to be revalving my shocks as well.......my fronts actually suit me well for MX the way they are, but my rear shock could use a little softening.......although I was bottoming out a few times this weekend racing, so maybe not. I am totally happy with the stock shocks......you CAN race this quad the way it is.......it amazes me every time I race this thing.

Ken1 - thanks for the info.....there is actually alot about this quad you can leave stock - I think people are just used to shelling out money as soon as they buy something.......and they think spending alot of money will somehow make them faster..........

It took me being broke to realize how good the YFZ is in basically stock form.........

i shelled out the money, rode a stocker and im glad i did:D, stock stuff beats the **** out of you and leaves you with a pile of junk at the end of the season...been there done that and never again, if your ona budget you can get by with it and you dont have much of choice really anyway, i just dont understnad people spending 4-600 dollars on revalves

muff
12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I take it you havent rode a real suspended quad then :p

yes the rebuilt stock shocks will work fine, depending on what you ride, your budget, and how serious you are in the sport...