PDA

View Full Version : learned the hard way

Stevie-D
11-28-2004, 07:29 PM
bought myself a 95 dakota a while back. just got around to getting it inspected. i bought it off of my boss, who told me it recently passed inspection, doesn't need work, runs great, etc...

so i get a call from the shop-this is the second one ive taken it to-turns out it needs all new ball joints, outer tie rod end, rear brake bleeder tit thingys, new brake lines, new front shocks, new parking brake cables, and another thing i can't remember off of the top of my head. i've dealt with the shop before and am confident i'm not getting ripped. going to cost me bout $1,300 all said and done.
i asked the guy to throw all the bad parts in the bed so i can look them over when i get it back.

i paid $4000 for the truck, put $500 worth of tires on it, $250 for exhaust, and now this.

so now i've got over $6000 sunk into the pos. mind you-its a nice truck. but being jerked around by someone you trust is not a fun experience.

moral of the story-don't trust people when buying things-always look everything over really really really well before buying something.

416exmx
11-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D

moral of the story-don't trust people when buying things-always look everything over really really really well before buying something.

That is not the moral of the story!!! It seems you want a "new" (mantience free) truck for the price of this used one. You get what you pay for (most of the time)... How can you expect a 95 truck with at least 100k miles i am guessing to be perfect?

Now if your boss knew of these problems and didnt tell you, then it is a different story. With me being in the resale business (quads, vehicles, equipment, ect.), i see this all the time. It is not always the SELLERS fault. Stuff happend, stuff wears, stuff breaks, ect... Anyway i have been burnt also. Once i bought a 99 dodge truck and ended up dumping 2K in the tranny, along with another 1K in other stuff. We all live and learn, but most of us are big enough to handle it.

chucked
11-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Thats not that bad, what do you expect? 416exmx said it best...

SGA
11-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Took me along time to fiquire that out. You cant take a older car and make it like new.
Also it seems some cars just run forever (15 years +) with just basic maintenance and there are others that just wear out head to toe in 8 years.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Took me along time to fiquire that out. You cant take a older car and make it like new.
Also it seems some cars just run forever (15 years +) with just basic maintenance and there are others that just wear out head to toe in 8 years.

exactly.

and if i were you dude i would use the 'needs shock replacement' as an excuse to lift it :D turn a boad thing into a good thing

chucked
11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
You know what I learned the hard way? I had an 1988 s-10 pickup, new engine, tranny, rear, tires, sprayed bed liner, all new interior, I had abotu 5-6k in this truck, I got hit and it was totalled (not my fault) Do you even wanna know how much insurance gave me for it??????

mephyst
11-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Oh man that totally blows. They only give blue book value right?

chucked
11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
Oh man that totally blows. They only give blue book value right?

yup blue book was $1200, I had redone everythign not even a year earlier, I still have yet to pay off the motor....

Scott-300ex
11-29-2004, 04:00 PM
that sucks about the s-10, hardcore

if you know what your doing on cars, check it all over yourself, ball-joints are easy to check, shocks would have to be real bad on a truck to make me change them, sprung tight, they don't do a whole lot anyways, maybe on a dakota but not a lot, emergency brake cables anyone with eyes could check, i wouldn't buy them, they probably don't need it, unless the brake sticks, but my truck used to do that and if i went in reverse, it unstuck it. Tie rod ends would be good to get because you don't want to be going 65 and lose your steering and both front wheels going different directions, if they are bad, you don't need new brake bleeders if you know what they do you would know what i mean, unless they have no threads on them:p, and why would you need new brake lines?:ermm:, from a 95 they ain't ganna be clogged unless he went muddin' with all the lines loose, which he would have had no brakes.

if you don't know how to check for ball-joints to see if they are bad write back, and i'll tell you

AND TELL THEM TO GREASE THE BALL-JOINTS MAYBE THATS THEIR PROBLEM!

morons:cuss:

good luck, write back so I..........we know.