PDA

View Full Version : My take on the ITP XCRs

Pepto_Bismol
04-19-2002, 01:48 PM
I've had my XCRs for about a month now and I think they do well for the job. They hook up great, offering excellent holehot grabs. I have had no problems powersliding through any tuff corners. They are a tough, thick tire that indeed has reduced sidwall flex. One major thing I did notice though is that XCRs are HEAVY. They are a 6-ply tire (which didn't stop a large U-Staple from penetrating my first ride) and I noticed a small decrease in torque due to the extra power needed to get the weight of the tire moving at the MX track. Also, I takes me a tad bit longer to reach top end because of the weight. (It takes a bit more power for the EX to move the extra weight). Over all, a great tire, but would I pay the extra money ($69.00) to get them again? No, here's why. I bought the tire becuase I had limited funds at the time, so I wanted an all around track AND XC tire. But it just does not give me edge at the track. Next time I am going to buy an MX only tire that definately weighs (and costs) less. Although I like the hook up, there are certainly cheaper and lighter alternatives for an MX track tire. However, if your primary interest is only trail riding, or racing XC, thumbs up, it is a tough tire with great hook up, but I don't recommend it for MX. It is what it is,an XCR tire (cross country racing). For me, now I to have to buy a seperate set of MX only tires in order to stay competitive at the track, which defeated my original plan anyway. Now I have to spend the money. Live and learn! That's my opinion based on my personal experience.
Pepto:cool:

Blackguywithouta400
04-19-2002, 02:49 PM
We cannot fault the tire for being something that is not.
You cant blame the tire for this and that when its appernt that you bought the wrong tire. If u race MX then you should have bought an MX tire it is lighter then the XCR and less puncture resistance then the XCR. The XCR is a replacement tire for the stock 4 stroke that wants a lower tire for better turning. My guess will be that you will be alot happier with the MX tires.

OH im not flaming you, just so u know information is the key for all of us to make good choices. Im sure the XCR are going to be easy to sell, and there more expensive then the MX tire. U might not lose that much $.

Pepto_Bismol
04-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Blackguyona400
We cannot fault the tire for being something that is not.
You cant blame the tire for this and that when its appernt that you bought the wrong tire. If u race MX then you should have bought an MX tire it is lighter then the XCR and less puncture resistance then the XCR. The XCR is a replacement tire for the stock 4 stroke that wants a lower tire for better turning. My guess will be that you will be alot happier with the MX tires.

OH im not flaming you, just so u know information is the key for all of us to make good choices. Im sure the XCR are going to be easy to sell, and there more expensive then the MX tire. U might not lose that much $.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting the tire at all, as a matter of fact, I never said anything about blaming the tire or faulting anything. If you actually read my post, you'll note that I say it's a great XC tire, and I do use it on the trails. I am far from an uninformed rider, and to assume I don't know how to gather information is mildy annoying. As I stated at the time, I didn't have enough $$ to buy two different sets of tires and I considered that fact of what I was buying at the time, an XC tire with MX style, so I came to a compromise. However, I noticed some people replying to your original post inquiring about this tire hinting on using it for MX style riding. That's why I gave my take on this tire, I believed I covered all types of riding so that I could offer other riders some input on how this tire actaully performs ...all around. I never said " This tire is bad..don't buy it..." I merely stated the facts of how it performs, and I try to be unbiased. A review should be that, an honest review of a product in ALL test conditions. I bought em, tried them out, and gave my thoughts, that's all. Pepto :cool: