PDA

View Full Version : everyone with an elka linkage

roostin_dale
11-28-2004, 12:44 PM
I have heard that on a yfz that the linkage gives too much travel and the battery box hits the swingarm? Could anyone fill me in on this? I will also be purchasing a Lonestar battery Box if that makes a difference?

Thanks

SRH
11-28-2004, 04:39 PM
i also would like to know this and im buying a battery box as well, i heard that if you only buy the lil 3 hole nuckle piece it was a great improvemnet and didnt smash nothing but buying the whole linkage cause too much travel and smashed everything

Rrider4life8
11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
you dont need A new linkage trust me. The factory YFZ linkage is just fine!

roostin_dale
11-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Rrider4life8
you dont need A new linkage trust me. The factory YFZ linkage is just fine!

the elka linkage gives you alot more travel..

Dave400ex
11-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Look into the Houser or Walsh linkage. Walsh also makes a Battery holder. Haven't heard much about the Elka, a local guy I know and have rode with has the setup and he didn't say anything about problems.

SRH
11-28-2004, 08:59 PM
the yfz shock feels funny about half way through the stroke for some reason i heard that the knuckle corrects this problem and gives it a much smoother feel

i dont see the big deal with travel, once your frame hit ths ground having more inches isnt going to help...

Extremeracer167
11-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SRH
the yfz shock feels funny about half way through the stroke for some reason i heard that the knuckle corrects this problem and gives it a much smoother feel

Your exactly right. It makes the motion of the shock MUCH smoother, gives it a more plush feel. Its def. worth the money in my mind. Mine hits the box but only on big bottoms. a few places make differant brake stay brackets to help, or like was said earlier...the lonestar box is supposed to help with this problem.

CTmxyfz
11-29-2004, 01:04 PM
my bike has the LT rear and linkage and it sits lower than a LT elka with stock linkage. It also makes it softer so when you get it valved, add about 10 pounds. My buddy is like 250 plus and my shock was blown, he sat on it and it was bottomed. Granted its only valved for 165. Although that happened, my shock was done as it was loosing compression and the fluid was leaking. I still ran it like this for 3 races at Jolly rodgers, Southwick and Winchester motorsports park. Even though i was jumping and all, hitting all the deep ruts, i only have alittle dimple in my battery box plastic area. The caliper did not hit my BB carbon pipe at all. Im happy that it didn't. But get it valved alittle more, and the LSR and walsh battery boxes raise the battery anyway. You will be fine.

roostin_dale
11-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info CTmxyfz!!:)

Bill Fuller
11-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I have never hit the battery box with mine,but I do have a nice sized hole in the bottom of my airbox.The long bolt that holds on the PRM skid plate put it there.

SRH
11-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
Your exactly right. It makes the motion of the shock MUCH smoother, gives it a more plush feel. Its def. worth the money in my mind. Mine hits the box but only on big bottoms. a few places make differant brake stay brackets to help, or like was said earlier...the lonestar box is supposed to help with this problem.

does the knuckle affect the amount of travel or only the motion of the shock? i saw on a duncan quad it was only using the knuckle not the whole linkage , but i see alot of xc quad running the complete setup

CTmxyfz
11-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Thanks for the info CTmxyfz!!:)

No problem, any more questions? Just ask.

YamaWarr0121
11-29-2004, 08:10 PM
i like mine, i have hit the battery, but i have also landed flat after being a good 25 feet up.. ( table at loretta's over jumped) and my suspesnion was too soft.. it works great, its the best rear shock set up i've felt since i rode a cr500 R..

Extremeracer167
11-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by SRH
does the knuckle affect the amount of travel or only the motion of the shock? i saw on a duncan quad it was only using the knuckle not the whole linkage , but i see alot of xc quad running the complete setup

It affects both. I believe u gain about 1-1 1/2 inches of travel in the back.

JOECASH
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
WHERE CAN I GET A QUALITY BRAKE RELOCATER BRACKET AT, MY PIPE IS ALSO TAKING A BEATING THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

YamaWarr0121
12-01-2004, 07:18 AM
what do you mean a brake relocator? the calipar? if you are using a250R rear end get a 250R one, if not, i think you might be on your own to fabricate something.. but y ou shouldn't hit with the stock yfz calipar bc its positioned rearward more..

12-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Here is a nice Battery Box setup. I do not know how much LSR charges or if htey are p/c, but I personally like this one:

How much is the linkage? Im thinking of getting it for my rear PEP suspension.

YFZ Battery Box (http://www.haleyengineeredperformance.com/products/yfz_battery_box.html)

Extremeracer167
12-01-2004, 02:22 PM
i believe the bracket that houser gives u with there swingarm kit, moves the bracket. They might sell them seperately

GYTR450
12-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I also want to get the Elka linkage and i would like to get the LSR or now the HEP battery box. but im worried that the caliper will hit my sparks pipe . Have any of you guys with the linkage had this problem?

the Elka linkage is $225 Cron.

thanks
Mike

JOECASH
12-01-2004, 03:52 PM
yes the caliper will hit muffler and possibly crack the pipe also thats y i was looking for caliper relocater , hey chad ill phone u later

YamaWarr0121
12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
i have the lsr box don't buy it, just take ur batter holder, bend it flat, and cut it to fit. then put about 3" of foam undernath ur battery

Bill Fuller
12-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by YamaWarr0121
i have the lsr box don't buy it, just take ur batter holder, bend it flat, and cut it to fit. then put about 3" of foam undernath ur battery :confused: Watcha talkin bout Willis:ermm: Pictures please.

YamaWarr0121
12-01-2004, 07:32 PM
don't have any yet, i bought a lsr at lorettas bc the bike wouldn't start cos i smashed the battery in on the big table..

Take ur stock battery and how it is. take off the bracket on top of it ( the gold one) and bend that into a flat piece

cut/drill it to make it work the same way, because it's bent when you straighten it out it'll become longer. so make it work, similar to what the lsr's looks like.

Now thatyou have that done, take ur battery out, fill the bottom with foam or styrophome or whatever you need to make it soft.. then put your battery on top of it. It saves your battery from hitting the calipar everytime.. instead the foam takes the impact from destroying batterys every 3 rides..;)

dantwo
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
That is a good fix and will work. One thing cool about doing the aftermarket battery box is now you are able to remove your rear fenders with ease. You no longer have to disconnect your battery and all you’re electrical. Plus that battery will no longer hit the caliper…..

Here are LSR’s pics.

http://www.lsracing.com/atv_quad_parts.php?step=5&searchunder=prodid&searchfor=225&PHPSESSID=727f5c4ccaa3257bf461221d46053e4a

Aussiequadrider
12-05-2004, 12:03 PM
My sparks was getting belted, so I just shifted it out from the frame with a couple of nuts and some longer high tensile bolts.

Geoff.

Carlock # 33
12-07-2004, 09:30 AM
I HAVE AN ELKA LINKAGE ON MY BIKE AND IT DOES MAKE THE BIKE FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER THE COMBINATION THAT I FOUND TO WORK THE BEST WAS A LONESTAR BATTERY BOX A SPARKS PIPE[THEY HAVE CHANGED THEM TO WHERE THEY MOUNT HIGHER TO MISS THE CALIPER ALSO PUT A ONE INCH SPACER BETWEEN THE PIPE AND THE SUB FRAME]. ALSO ABOUT THE BACK BRAKE RESIVOIR IF YOU BY FRAME GAURDS FOR YOUR BIKE YOU CAN DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE MASTER CYLINDER GAURD PART AND RELOCATE THE RESIVOIR THEIR. I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE PROBLEM WITH THE LINKAGE AND I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS THE LINKAGE IT SELF OR WHAT BUT MY LINKAGE BOLT BROKE OFF IN A RACE WHERE THE BRACKET GOES TO THE FRAME AND THE LINKAGE. I THINK MAYBE THE LINKAGE MAY PUT EXTRA STRESS ON THE BOLTS OR SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW ALL I KNOW IS THAT I WAS 5TH GEAR TAPPED WHEN IT BROKE AND SOME HOW I DIDN'T DIE. IF ANYONE ELES HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM LET ME KNOW BECAUSE IF SO THEN I WILL BE TAKING MY LINKAGE OFF. OTHER THAN THAT THE EXRA TRAVEL IS AWESOME.

dantwo
12-07-2004, 09:44 AM
LSR also makes fender braces that relocate your brake resivoir out of harms way. Your bolt problem is a pretty common problem with Yamaha hardware. For areas where you need a high strength bolt try to go after market.

JOECASH
12-07-2004, 03:06 PM
NO PROBLEM WITH BREAKING ANY BOLTS JUST CALIPER SMASHING PIPE AND BOTTOM PLASTIC , ILL BE CHECKING MY BOLTS CLOSELY THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE BOLT ISSUE JOE

SRH
12-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by dantwo
LSR also makes fender braces that relocate your brake resivoir out of harms way. Your bolt problem is a pretty common problem with Yamaha hardware. For areas where you need a high strength bolt try to go after market.

lsr is a rip off 175 for 2 aluminum brackets...

dantwo
12-08-2004, 06:13 AM
They are large brackets with a lot of machine time. So sorry about the price……. With the way the material market is raising prices, there is only so much I can do…..

R3Concepts
12-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Im going to bat for LSR here, im pretty sure Dantwo, is Dan Fisher of LSR but I could be wrong? LSR hooks up all of us DFR riders with great deals and great support, like it or not LSR is one of the biggest names in the game.

12-09-2004, 09:47 PM
If they are that big shouldn't they be able to afford to lower their prices?

Im not bashing LSR, ALL atv manufactorers prices seem VERY high, not ONLY LSR.

Will the Elka Linkage work w/ other suspenion besides ELKA, like my rear PEP?

R3Concepts
12-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Go to LSR and see what there overhead is and then you will know. They are cheaper then Walsh, Roll, Gibson.. etc etc.

SRH
12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
They are large brackets with a lot of machine time. So sorry about the price……. With the way the material market is raising prices, there is only so much I can do…..

oh come on now.. a machined chain roller relocator is 20 bucks how can the fender brackets be that much much more? , i mean you can get 2 machined motor mounts from esr andonized for 90 bucks....you cant tell me that your not making a big profit off them

dantwo
12-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Well I will try to explain this a little better. As for your motor mount reference, I have no idea what material they use. Yes if I got material from china I could drop the price, but I choose not to. I could get it made in Taiwan or China and cut the price in half and still make money. I choose not to that as well. We are made in the USA and I plan on keeping it that way. The material size to make a motor plate is much smaller than the material I use to make a set of fender braces. Also do not forget I have dealers and distributor trying to make a living off me also. Speaking of buying power and price shopping, trust me I do not live under a rock, I do shop around. I think it really comes down to where you do not fully understand all the cost to run a company. There are so many unknowns that you just do not think about. I am not going to explain that all in detail. If I priced the fender braces to high for you I am truly sorry. The stock ones work great for most people. As always if you have any questions you can always call. 1-800-457-7223 ext 203
Dan @ LSR

dawnchris
12-13-2004, 12:31 PM
How about we quit crying over the price of something and get back to the "Elka linkage" thread? If you don't want to spend the $$, then don't. Whiners.
So anyway, is there anything out there that can move the rear caliper around, to keep it away from the exhaust? It doesn't look like I can space my pipe out enough to clear it.

JOECASH
12-13-2004, 05:17 PM
still looking for bracket relocater will post it if i come up with somthing thanks joe, no whinners here ............

12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Well I will try to explain this a little better. As for your motor mount reference, I have no idea what material they use. Yes if I got material from china I could drop the price, but I choose not to. I could get it made in Taiwan or China and cut the price in half and still make money. I choose not to that as well. We are made in the USA and I plan on keeping it that way.

I have to give LSR props to them for that. I am proud to support American companies and you may have a new customer. It is nice to know not all American companies are outsourcing. Props on the good work.

Buy American!

If I get the linkage to I HAVE to get the battery box? I want the linkage but am all ready bashing my pipe.

R3Concepts
12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Tell em Dan, these guys dont know what a cnc mill cost or cost to run. But hey your always going to have to few that THINK they can do it better...my reply.. go ahead chief show us what you got. Dan I sent you another PM, check it out.