PDA

View Full Version : front sproket question

jak1389
11-28-2004, 08:40 AM
i feel a little embarresd but what the hay. about 2 weeks ago i was taking off my front sproket and stuff, then i was sitracked. last night i put everything back together with the chain guard not on. we i went to take it for a spin the front sproket came flyin off. i was wondering if i did not put it back on right or if the chain gaurd keeps it on that shaft. if you could tell me what i did wrong adn what i need to do that would be awsome.

TC426EX
11-28-2004, 10:46 AM
The chainguard has nothing to do with it staying on. The sprocket slides on, and then there is that piece that bolts on with the 2 bolts that holds it onto the shaft. When you put the sprocket on, the grooves in the holder plate dont necessarily line up with the splines the same way as the sprocket so thats why the bolt holes dont line up at first most of the time. There is a machined groove in the shaft and you have to get the holder plate in that groove and then line up the holes from there and bolt it to the sprocket there. That is what makes sure the sprocket is in line with the rear one and the chain is straight. That is what holds the sprocket on, not the chain guard...