PDA

View Full Version : LRD exhaust

StuntMentD4
11-27-2004, 08:53 PM
who likes it who hates it and why?

and if u hate it wat do u suggest for a raptor 660?

Pappy
11-27-2004, 08:55 PM
i cant say i hate them, but the ones ive owned, and ones ive had to work on were just nasty. they just didnt seem to hold up very well, but did offer good power and i still think they sound the best

Quad18star
11-27-2004, 09:26 PM
I was looking into getting an LRD for my 450 . I had originally planned on a TC , but sound level is too much ... then I considered a Yosh , but I heard talk about the canister burning up a bit . I was thinking of an LRD ... but now Pappy is saying they don't hold up too well . I'd like to know a good pipe for my bike also .

By the way StuntMentD4 .... I heard the LRD on a Raptor ... and the sound out of it was amazing . It looked like it was haulin' tail also .

Pappy
11-27-2004, 09:30 PM
well hopefully some LRD owners will post with different results from what ive seen. i have not used any LRD's lately so quite possibly they have turned out a better quality pipe. like i said, the best sounding pipe IMO.

my issues were mainly the canister constantly coming loose. they werent rivited at that time but maybe now?

secondly was the finish...it just rusted too quickly IMO

power was on par with any system (seat of the pants dyno:o ) that ive run on a 400ex so id expect it to be similiar with other quads.

Quad18star
11-27-2004, 09:38 PM
I loved the performance I had out of their adjustable pipe on my LT 250r ... but like you said .... it rusted quickly ... and now that I think about it ... the silencer was giving me a bit of problems . But I also rode the bike hard and was subjected to alot of bumping and bouncing around .

ex kid
11-28-2004, 06:47 AM
i got a LRD two stroke system. it's held up fine. the endcap uses allen screws to hold it on now. i've had mine for almost a year and no discoloration on the expansion chamber or silencer.

Giz400ex
11-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Even though this is for a 400ex but I've had there first style and loved it. I had the chrome and wasn't all crazy about it but I loved the power. Switched to CS and HATED IT:mad: and went back to the LRD Pro-4 and what an improvement as for power and craftsmanship. I would recommend the ceramic coating though! After awhile the chrome looks like crap, there ceramic looks better! In which I've said many times before on here I love the LRD and won't go anywhere else. For the price, performance and quality...........you can't beat it:D

ny300exrider
11-28-2004, 08:08 AM
i think the newest version- the pro-4 is supposed to be alot better when it comes to finish and staying together. i think lrd knew about their problems with the older pipe and im pretty sure they worked all of them out with the new style. a kid i know around here has the lrd pro4 on his 450r and it screams.

Quad18star
11-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Even though this isn't my thread , thanks for the replies you guys have given .... it's helping make my decision a little easier .

400exr
11-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I love my LRD Pro 4 full system (ceramic coated), and it has been through some serious s***!! crashes, mud, extream heat, etc. They changed the design quite a bit from the old LRD. The craftmanship is very nice and the finish is holding up nicely . Also the power gain (seat of the pants) is very very nice. I can't find anythig bad to say about the LRD.

StuntMentD4
11-28-2004, 05:39 PM
thanx guys...will the saramic coating take away any hp?

im adding the pipe to my x-mas list as we speak!:o

Giz400ex
11-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by StuntMentD4
thanx guys...will the saramic coating take away any hp?

im adding the pipe to my x-mas list as we speak!:o No:D

cals400ex
11-29-2004, 11:32 AM
the ceramic coatings will hold in heat better. this will help performance if anything. the hotter the exhaust stays, the quicker the gases can move and the cooler the head may stay.

aviator4
11-29-2004, 01:42 PM
I've got the LRD Full exhaust setup on my '02. Black caniser with the Chrome header and have been very happy with it.

The performance over stock is great. I've raced several times against my buddy running a DG full system and can outrun him, but only by a little.

As far as it holding up, I've had no problems. I, too have put it through all sorts of hell. I've even sumberged the entire pipe while it was hot (riding on the bank of a lake) and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I mainly ride power-sapping dunes and this pipe made a considerable difference.

The Endcap is held on by allen screws, but the seat in the canister is rivetted in. It appears as though they have solved their problems with the cans coming loose.

The adjustable header is really nice too. Lets you slide the can closer or farther from the engine to adjust where the power band of the engine comes in.

Changing out the packing is an easy procedure.

My only down side was during installation. Fit was a little tight at the exhaust ports, but I finally managed to get it on.

cals400ex
11-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
I've got the LRD Full exhaust setup on my '02. Black caniser with the Chrome header and have been very happy with it.

The performance over stock is great. I've raced several times against my buddy running a DG full system and can outrun him, but only by a little.

As far as it holding up, I've had no problems. I, too have put it through all sorts of hell. I've even sumberged the entire pipe while it was hot (riding on the bank of a lake) and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I mainly ride power-sapping dunes and this pipe made a considerable difference.

The Endcap is held on by allen screws, but the seat in the canister is rivetted in. It appears as though they have solved their problems with the cans coming loose.

The adjustable header is really nice too. Lets you slide the can closer or farther from the engine to adjust where the power band of the engine comes in.

Changing out the packing is an easy procedure.

My only down side was during installation. Fit was a little tight at the exhaust ports, but I finally managed to get it on.

if you just have that pipe and the hotcam, i would really consider putting in a smaller mainjet. you should get much much more power out of it, especially in the upper gears.

aviator4
11-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the reply advice!

Actually, My little riding group is "incahoots" with the guys that run Little Shara Power Sports in Waynoka, OK. They recently purchased a dyno and my quad was jetted during a series of runs on it. It doesn't get much more accurate than that!!

Believe it or not, it's running a 186 Main and it humms along nicely.

cals400ex
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
Thanks for the reply advice!

Actually, My little riding group is "incahoots" with the guys that run Little Shara Power Sports in Waynoka, OK. They recently purchased a dyno and my quad was jetted during a series of runs on it. It doesn't get much more accurate than that!!

Believe it or not, it's running a 186 Main and it humms along nicely.

what was your air/fuel ratio set at? just curious. i only run a keihin 155-158 in my 426. the larger the mainjet, the less power i have in the upper gears.

aviator4
11-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Final Ratio was 14.62:1 - I couldn't believe it got that close to perfect! It's a little rich, but being .05 from Stoichiometric isn't bad at all. One more jet size down caused it to drop into 13's. One more up and I was close to 15. this was with Race fuel as well... 110 Octane. (Not AV fuel - I like having my engine in one piece)

Not really sure what it would do on pump gas. It would probably be really really rich, but anything smaller than a 165 seems risky.

(168 is what LRD recommends for their pipes) - A jet in the 150's I would think would lend itself to a really hot engine.

Chino
11-30-2004, 09:05 PM
I love mine, the sound is great, but the quality is JUNK!!! between the endcap coming loose, and the rivits in the canister wobbling out. My buddy has had two of these systems, one on a z440 and one on his new 450R and he hates them as well, the one on his 450r is only 5 or 6 months old and it is already falling apart. I've also had several problems getting the silencer apart from the header on the full Lrd systems. I'm getting rid of mine very soon and purchasing a FULL SPARKS SYSTEM!

Kennethyfz450
12-01-2004, 12:12 PM
I like my Lrd , but i wished i got a sparks....

untill i went to the track and started practing with my buddy.. i noticed i had more bottom to mid with my pipe and on a long straight stretch he would eventually catch back up with me..

example we could drag race and i would beat him out of the hole every single time but once he clicked into 5th he pull me by a bike length!!

i was really sick then because i have :
Ron woods intake vs pro flow
cam mod vs stock cam postion

I think his sparks sounds better, but all the riders in my group said mine sounds the best??

the reason why i am glad i bought the lrd now is because it mounts higher than the sparks and when we was at the track we both bottom out our yfz's (heck my .250 skid plate was leaving its marks on the ground) anyhow his brake knocked a nice hole in the silencer....

every since then i am glad i bought the lrd

i have more bottom to mid
he has more top and less bottom to mid

we drag race who ever is on my bike wins out of the hole untill about 4th?? (which really pee's me off because with the cam mod and air intake all that junk it should pull hard)