PDA

View Full Version : Law's (Who knows alot about it)

Syrus
11-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Alright, please only reply if you know about the law, as in being a Cop, lawyer, judge etc...

Ok this is what i need to know. If someone lets you drive thier car, with there permission, and you end up getting in a small accident, who does the damages get charged under. The owner of the car, or the person driving the borrowed car ? Can the person driving the car, that got into the acciendent get taken to court and charged/sued for the damaged or is it the owner of the cars responsibility ?

If the driver can be charged/sued, what are the charges called ?

Just need some info on it, thanks if you can give me some help on this !

WOracing
11-27-2004, 07:59 PM
well my freind let my other freind drive his car without a liscense, the owner of the car lost his liscense and the kid driving got out of it, owner was 18 and the driver was 17...

TheFontMaster
11-27-2004, 08:00 PM
The person borrowing the car and thier insurance company would be respnsible.

Quadfather
11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
The driver of the car is responsible for any damages(in my state). The car owners insurance will most likely cover the damages to the vehicle(s). If the driver of the borrowed car does not have a valid drivers license, the insurance will deny the claim. The un- licensed driver is then expected to cover any and all damages. If the un-licensed driver is under legal age, his parents had better have an extremely fat wallet.

My buddy is going through this exact scenario as we speak. It's getting rather ugly.

Pappy
11-27-2004, 08:12 PM
depending on your states laws...

the driver would be charged with the accident and the car owners insurance would be responsible for the claim

300exOH
11-27-2004, 08:12 PM
The insurance always follows the driver. If the borrowed car is wrecked then the car owners' insurance pays for damages to the borrowed car. If the borrowed car wrecks into another car then the drivers insurance will pay for the car that was hit. You can't be sued by the owner of the borrowed car as long as you had their permission to use the vehicle. My wife works for an insurance company in the claims dept. Hope all that makes sense.:ermm:

Quad18star
11-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Syrus .... up in our neck of the woods , its the insurance of the person driving the vehicle that will pay the damages ... unless that person does not have insurance ... then it goes on the insurance of the person that owns the car

The person that was driving the car can be taken to court and charged/sued for any property damages ... as well as the person that owns the vehicle . If the person that is driving is under the legal age ... and is caught driving .. the car owner is responsible ( if the car was willingly given) . The vehicle insurance will cover anyone with a G1 or G2 class license . Once the G status is reached , the insurance falls in the hands of the person driving ... unless like I stated that person is not insured under any policy .. then it goes onto the car owners insurance .

The charges are whatever the cop charges you with . Could be careless driving , failing to yield right of way , etc .

Syrus
11-27-2004, 08:57 PM
thx 18star. Sounda about right.

Quad18star
11-27-2004, 09:13 PM
No Problem man . If you need anymore info , you can check out www.mto.gov.on.ca ( which i think is the MTO's provincial site . Just type in Motor vehicle act and it'll link you to a different page about all the laws ( theres about 300 pages) . I had to just recently look up the Offroad vehicle act .... that site helped me out a ton .

honduh440
11-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
depending on your states laws...

the driver would be charged with the accident and the car owners insurance would be responsible for the claim

thats your answer