View Full Version : Opinons On First Street bike

DAB516
11-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Alright i've been looking into getting my first streetbike soon and was going to get an R6, but I saw The Ducati 748 and am in love with it. Anyone have opinions on it. I know it's not exactly the best beginner bike but I've been riding dirtbikes and quads for quite a few years. Are the R6 and 748 comparable at all?

Here's one I really like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49990&item=4506649138&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

cdrookie
11-27-2004, 09:14 PM
sweet looking bike! the duc's and the r6's aren't comparable at all. v twin and inline 4, completely different power characteristics.

2002400ex
11-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Dont underestimate a R6. It has a ton of power. You make think u can handle anything. i would get the R6. but good luck and be safe on whichever one you want or get.

DAB516
11-28-2004, 09:56 AM
So which ones faster?

cdrookie
11-28-2004, 10:13 AM
the r6 revs faster and probably has more top speed but the duc has the torque.

kwatts400
11-28-2004, 10:15 AM
They both are way faster than you need a first bike (or any bike) to go.

kwatts400
11-28-2004, 10:19 AM
O yeah, the duc has more hp, faster 1/4 time by .17sec and 2.7mph, and alot more torque.

2002400ex
11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
if u are young, your insurance is gonna be insane. but i would get a r6 because i dont know if there are a lot of parts floating around for a ducati. i bet once you found a part it would be twice as much as a r6 part, but i dont know.

chucked
11-28-2004, 12:44 PM
damn I think a great first bike is something that costs under 2k. Because if you wreck a ducati or an r6, you will want to kill yourself.

DAB516
11-28-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm sure i'll be fine with that kind of power. I don't plan on doing anything stupid. I also don't plan on riding it that much just to and from class which is about 2 miles from my apartment. I'll never even really have it on the highway execpt to get it from my house to my apartment at school. I'm not worried about the cost of parts, or insurance.

MotoX3
11-28-2004, 03:11 PM
R6 and ducati as a first bike?id get an older stlye bike with tamer power if not an on/off road bike.....jmo:eek2:

11-28-2004, 03:51 PM
My spoiled buddy just turned 16 and is selling his YFZ to get an R6 as a first streetbike. Im 100% sure hes gonna kill himself.

ny300exrider
11-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
My spoiled buddy just turned 16 and is selling his YFZ to get an R6 as a first streetbike. Im 100% sure hes gonna kill himself. i have a feeling when kids around here start turning 16, the same thing will be happening. too many kids around here thik they are invincable and the best at riding

Big Johnson
11-28-2004, 04:42 PM
umm if you were me and i were you i would get a honda but go ahead and get the r6 it's cheaper and has more top speed

Destructo
11-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I was looking at street bikes for awhile, and decided the insurance and expense wasn't worth it so I bought a quad instead. I was looking at a CBR600F4i. I went to the Honda dealer and liked the more comfortable seat. I also went and checked out a GSX-R600, I also liked those and their cheaper than an R6.

But, unless you have ridden a street bike before, I would not start off on a fast bike. I had some experience riding a 1971 Honda 750 Four, that sucker weighed a ton and didn't handle very well and was very wide, I see kids riding sport bikes around all day that probably couldn't even handle the Honda i'v ridden. And I see lots of fools leaving stop lights and dragging their feet forever, thats a good sign to me that they can't ride, a good rider always picks up their feet soon as they get moving.

4punksdad
11-28-2004, 06:00 PM
I suggest something a little less eye catching for your first bike. Trust me on this one.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/sport/model.asp?ModelName=599&ModelYear=2004&ModelId=CB600F4#

Mikesamillion
11-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DAB516
So which ones faster?

if you are really worried about that then you dont need a street bike.

but of your two choices i would go with the R6. its cheaper and easily taken to the track. Duc's are sweet sounding and looking but unless you got really deep pockets maintaining it will set you back alot more money than the R6.

Mikesamillion
11-28-2004, 06:06 PM
oh and im not sure how old you are but look into insurance costs as well. if your are under 25 this might change your mind!!!!

kicken250x
11-28-2004, 06:47 PM
no offence man but it sounds like you need to be a little more realistic with yourself. you say you you "dont plan on doing anything stupid" but you know just as well as i and everyone else in the world knows that with that much power between your legs your gonna go crazy and rip on it a few times. it sounds like you dont have much expirence on a bike and the last thing you need is to be worried about "which one is faster". im not trying to preach to you and sound like your worried mom but sit back and think of this one for a while bro. itll be worth it, in money and your life.

Big400EX
11-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
i have a feeling when kids around here start turning 16, the same thing will be happening. too many kids around here thik they are invincable and the best at riding

As long as he doesn't try anything stupid as soon as he gets it, and just goes with the flow he shouldn't kill himself.

When I first got my quad, I didn't top it out. Although I wanted to, I learned how to ride it, and just now I started doing wheelies and im getting pretty good at them, considering I have a damn Recon. But thats beside the point.

Just as long as you dont get crazy with it you guys should be fine.

Lgnrider424
11-28-2004, 11:20 PM
well how big are you?? i have a cbr 600 and its my first bike. like you i have been riding my whole life, but dont ever underestamate the power on a 600. im 6'4 and 240lbs and that 600 will go, like now!! i mean ive rode the big bore bikes and stuff, but the 600 is plenty for me. i can clutch it up while sitting in 2nd gear and ride it through 4th, or i can easly get the front tire off the ground in 3rd if im standing and go for at least 3/4 mile. and like you i said i wasnt gunna be stupid, but we are young and its our nature to be stupid. just be safe about it, make it a smart kind of stupid if you know what i mean.( ALWAYS wear a helmet, and practice wheelies and **** on back rodes where you cant hurt other ppl) i rode a TL 1000 which is a v-twin like the duc, and i really wasny impressed. to much vibration (kinda like an artic cat). ive GPSed me on my 600 at about 155 and thats about all she had, which is still to fast for me. im only 19 so im still very addicted to speed but that is fast. but back to my point about size, my buddy rides an 02 gsxr 750 and its his first bike too, hes smaller then me and it fits him perfect but if i ride it my back hurts in about 20 mins. the cbr f4 handel bars are above the clamps and youre not leaning so far forward thus makeing it much for comfortable to ride. but the f4i's are like the gsxr's in that the bars are below the clamps and you lean more. plus the pegs on the cbr are a couple inches lower then most other street bikes (including the r6). the r6 is one of the fastest 600s ever and itll be way cheaper then the duc. and youll be able to get parts for it easier and cheaper when you do dump it.( im sorry but it will happen) ive been riding for one summer and ive seen 4 accidents, 2 of which the riders died. not trying to scare you but youll see some nutty ****. luckily for me i havent even dropped it yet, but by all means i should have and im waiting for my turn. but sorry this is so long i sound like a dad.

Punk'd
11-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Be sure to wear your helmet I know so many people who have died on those..

but for some off reason it doesnt stop me from wanting one:confused:

DAB516
11-28-2004, 11:44 PM
When i asked which won was fatser it was because I kinda wanted the slower one. I could get a alot lower cc bike and be happy with the power. I know for a fact I won't be doing anything stupid no wheelies or speeding around. I've got a quad to do that. I've been to 150 in a car and that was enough for me no reason to do it again.

Regular_Joe
11-29-2004, 07:06 AM
I've had a bunch of sportbikes and all that jazz. Been riding since I was 16, and am 27 now. Personally the sportbikes are cool for looks but aren't that practical. The new 600cc sportbikes do 70mph @ redline in first gear, and the 1000cc do 95+ @ redline in first gear. Its addicting and your just asking for trouble. I said the same things, I'll be careful. That kinda power just screams to be let loose. Your doing 75 and it feels like 30 ....

I wouldn't suggest a Ninja 250, you will be bored w/ it pretty quick. But I think a 600cc Sportbike is too much for a beginner. I'd suggest something like a Suzuki SV650 or a Suzuki GS500F. The SV is a much more ridable bike and has great reviews. It almost has a cult status and is super reliable. I just got one after riding a friends. I traded a brand new 9 month old '03 CBR600F4i for it. I was that impressed w/ it. It will easily keep up w/ any sportbike under 85 mph, only after that will a sportbike show its balls that much more. The GS500F is cool too. They took a plain GS500 and made it fully faired like a sportbike. Its been around for years and has all the bugs worked out. All the looks w/o all that extremeness of a sportbike ....

11-29-2004, 07:18 AM
btw, who the hell cares about top speed and acceleration on their first street bike??? I think he should be more concerned about ergonomics and a comfortable, smooth throttle more than anything. For this my advice would be a GSXR600.

Regular_Joe
11-29-2004, 07:34 AM
btw, who the hell cares about top speed and acceleration on their first street bike??? I think he should be more concerned about ergonomics and a comfortable, smooth throttle more than anything. For this my advice would be a GSXR600.

Ummm .... ergonomics / comfortable / smooth throttle ...... those aren't sportbike characteristics ......

IMO a 600cc sportbike is like recommending a modified Banshee or LT500 for a first quad. Sure you can start on one, but the chances are pretty high your going to get hurt.

Ever look at the numbers on here?
1/4 mile times .... (http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals.htm)

That lowly GS500 will pretty much take it to any vehicle on the road under 100mph. Pretty good numbers for a "small" bike.

JLanphear
11-29-2004, 09:02 AM
You'll be fine on either bike if you use your head.....unfortunately, people who don't use their head will get hurt on whatever they ride....be it a 250cc bike or a 1000cc bike. Both are capable of going fast enough to kill you.

Personally....if money were not an issue and I had to choose between these two bikes, I'd pick the Ducati......Why? Because it's a Ducati.

However, in the real world, money is normally an issue....in my opinion the R6 is a better value....I'd even go as far as saying that it's the better overall bike of the two. Also, more than likely, maintenance will be cheaper on it as well. Insurance too.

It's your call though....I really doubt you can reach the potential of either bikes performance....so buy whichever one will make you happier.

Of course acceleration and top speed come into play....I don't want a motorcycle for the pure enjoyment of roaming around the countryside on two wheels....I want it for the adrenaline rush and enjoyment of the thrilling power that they have.....and I don't think I'm alone. I'm not saying to go out and be reckless....you don't even have to break the speed limit to feel what I'm saying (though there is a time and place for a little law-breaking in my opinion).

These guys aren't kidding though.....bikes are fast and dangerous. You really have to respect them, and no your limits or you can get into trouble fast. If you've got a good head on your shoulders you'll be fine on any sized bike.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had a CBR 929 and a Ninja ZX6r.....I got rid of the Ninja because I just didn't need 2 bikes, and I had no urge to ride it. The 929 is so much more fun....it's a blast to drive. Honestly, I don't think I could go back to a 600 class bike after riding it. No...not because I am a great rider and have reached the limits of a 600cc bike...Hell, I probably couldn't keep up with a good rider on a Vespa Scooter around the twisties. I like the bike for the shear power that it has.....even acceleration from 20mph - 50mph is like night and day on the two bikes.

Anyway...I'm rambling.

Stupid snow!!!!!!!

Mxjunkie
11-29-2004, 09:35 AM
my older brother went with a 600rr for his first bike, ive ridden it twice, id recomend it for a first bike, it has enough power to fool around, but not too much, handles extremly well and a low price :macho

Lgnrider424
11-29-2004, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Regular_Joe
[B] Its addicting and your just asking for trouble. I said the same things, I'll be careful. That kinda power just screams to be let loose. Your doing 75 and it feels like 30 ....

yea i agree and heres a perfect example. my dad saw me riding wheelies one day and when saw him next he was pretty pissed. but there was realy nothing he could do about it. IE: my bike, i pay for everything and i dont even live at home. but later on that summer i was gone for a week or so and i asked him to ride it a couple of times to keep the gas going through it and such. he has crusier bike and a quad so i trust him, i mean he did teach me how to ride. the day i got back though, 3 of my friends said they saw my dad ripping down the rode and one said they saw him pass like 3 cars on the sidewalk and then pull up the front end a little after leaving the intersection. when i asked him about it he just laughed and said i wont tell your mom if you dont.

Note: my dad is 53

Regular_Joe
11-29-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd really recommend the SV650 since its a more ridable bike.

SV650: 10k redline
CBR F4i: 14k redline

The SV actually has more torque and more hp up to 9k. Honestly, how often are you going to have the 600cc bike past 9k anyway. The SV is just a more street friendly bike.

PF300ex
11-29-2004, 06:59 PM
I agree with joe you can't go wrong with the sv650. Its a great beginner bike with plenty of power that you won't get bored of. IMO the v-twin motor has more usable power for the steet than the inline fours. Plus the insurance is a hell of a lot cheeper too. :D

Mikesamillion
11-29-2004, 07:31 PM
There are some good company's left (i.e State Farm) that doesnt look at the bike type only the cc's. Im 25 with a clean record and pay 21 bucks a month for full coverage with 250 deducts on my RR. wouldnt be a penny less if i had a cruiser or a naked bike.

Regular_Joe
11-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Ya, State Farm has the best rates going. There are a few catches though.

1) To start a policy w/ them, you have to have a clean record for 3 years. After your in though, you are ok.

2) They usually want a house / appt. and your car to be insured through them too. Car rates are a bit more than others.

3) They pay you what its worth and thats it. Nothing more. This can be an issue w/ a brand new vehicle. Buy a 10k sportbike and its only worth 8k once you drive it off the lot. Wreak it and you get 8k, not the 10k you owe on the loan .....

Just an FYI.

When I had a clean record for 3 yrs I swapped to State Farm about 9 months ago. My CBR 600 F4i w/ full coverage insurance went from $900 yr to $250. So even if my car was $50 more a year it was still very worth it .....