PDA

View Full Version : i need real honest opinions...

WOracing
11-27-2004, 07:26 PM
ok for a while ive been debating on which sub woofers to buy. right now i have 2 sony explode 10"s...which dont satisfy me so ive been looking for new subs, anywho, i have came to 2 brands that i have heard good and bad about...mtx or alpine. i want some honest opinions on which ones to get and why. example if you choose mtx why did you? and what are the bad reasons of alpine etc. thanks Kevin

flyingbyfast400
11-27-2004, 07:30 PM
I have two Rockfordfosgate 12 inch HX2 Powers. There insane. The RMS on them I belive is 2000 watts each.. There well worth the money. If thats not enuff bump for you then I dont know what is. Just one will do any person fine. But 2 is all out crazy if you ask me. Best money I ve ever spent on subs.

WOracing
11-27-2004, 07:37 PM
i dont like 12"s, lol anywho a guy told me a story about mtx and how its basically a rockford sub they just cut there budget. i think ill go with mtx but i just want to see what experience people have with them

Syrus
11-27-2004, 07:47 PM
MTX's are good quality, but i had the best results with 2 10" IMPP's.

WOracing
11-27-2004, 07:48 PM
anyone heard of F2? my freind has 3 F2 10"s in hsi truck and omg:eek2: hits so hard

EXRIDER400KFX
11-27-2004, 08:08 PM
no dont get mtx or alpine. alpine is like a walmart speaker around here. like seriously they sell them in wal-mart. but i would recommend memphis. get two or three memphis tens and that should hit pretty hard. and get about a 800 wt amp. i just really like the sound of them. my couin and one of my friends have memphis. heard good things about them to.

WOracing
11-27-2004, 08:13 PM
re-read my first post...im stuck with xplod and im limited to MTX and Alpine...

u gotta problem with wal-mart:p :o

jk:blah:

EXRIDER400KFX
11-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
re-read my first post...im stuck with xplod and im limited to MTX and Alpine...

u gotta problem with wal-mart:p :o

jk:blah:

o ok. just sayin that they are a lot better brand then MTX and Alpine,

Pappy
11-27-2004, 08:54 PM
i admit it:o i had a bass tube in my redneck truck when i was a kid:(

boom boom boom boom...lmao

WOracing
11-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

:cool: hell yeah

Honda4trax250x
11-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

LMAO

what kind of truck was that?

SixthFloorFreak
11-27-2004, 11:26 PM
i have to say that i'm in love with my Resonant Engineering/Digital Designs hybrid 15's, but good luck duplicating them, LOL. seriously though, i would check out Resonant Engineering, www.reaudio.com

they have several sub lines to fit your budget and intended use. they also make of the loudest, if not the loudest sub out there, the MT. there's really not much out there, IMO, that can touch RE. the XXX is the ultimate daily driver sub, with over 30mm of linear xmax, matched only by the JL W7 series at near twice the price(the JL doesn't sound near as good IMO either). just wait for the new XXX though. for 2005, it gets a new 11" dia. motor and a new surround and basket capable of 4" peak to peak xmax

RE also has a sub that is capable of 12" of xmax :eek2:

Honda4trax250x
11-27-2004, 11:29 PM
I guess I should also answer to this thread.

My speaker strategy: Go Cheap.

Most of the people I know regret buying crazy systems. Thats why I bought an 80 dollar amp and 2 no name 10 inch subs for 60 bucks

It actually sounded really good, better than some of my friends that spent lots of money for their crazy systems.

SixthFloorFreak
11-27-2004, 11:44 PM
did some rereading

of the two you listed, MTX and Alpine, i'd go with the Alpine subs. both the Type R and Type S subs are good performers for the price, and MTX just doesn't have sub that rivals either IMO, unless you step up to a 9500. i have no experience with the Alpine Type E or X, but i'd expect their performance matches their respective place in Alpine's line up

dirtriderex
11-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Kicker's:D

SixthFloorFreak
11-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
Kicker's:D

really?

i'm not so sure i could fit the 57 cubic feet box in my truck that is required to get a single 12L7 to a .707 alignment...not to mention the 1.5dB spike in the 60hz region

i also would not like the fact that in a 3 cube ported box tuned in the mid 20's, the same 12L7 has a 5dB spike in the 60hz region. can you say peaky, midbass monster? yuck

...add cabin gain to either of these alignments and the Kicker is gonna be rattling your teeth out...on frequencies that your midbass drivers should be playing

if the purpose is just to make noise, then Kicker is a great choice. if reasonably accurate musical reproduction is the goal, i'm looking elsewhere.

honduh440
11-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Alpine is like honda to quads i mean it may not be the exact best sub but it will run for a life time

jesshamner
11-28-2004, 01:53 AM
I never thought Alpine subs were that great until my friend got the type S subs. They hit very hard. I was amazed with them and I have 3 12" JL Audios. The type R is even better than the type s. I had some mtx's and they weren't bad either but I don't believe that they are as good as the type s. Alpine is good quality on every product. I have an old cd player that is still up to par in sound quality with the new cd players. The amps aren't that powerful but they are good quality. I'd suggest the alpines over the mtxs.

WOracing
11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
did some rereading

of the two you listed, MTX and Alpine, i'd go with the Alpine subs. both the Type R and Type S subs are good performers for the price, and MTX just doesn't have sub that rivals either IMO, unless you step up to a 9500. i have no experience with the Alpine Type E or X, but i'd expect their performance matches their respective place in Alpine's line up

this is the kind of answer im looking for, thanks man

Regular_Joe
11-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Its a toss up.

For subs I'd definately go Alpine. MTX just doesn't seem to able to compete in the sub market. Someone recommended the MTX9500 which is kinda dumb. Its an SPL sub meant for competitions, not for daily driving. If you can spring for the Alpine Type-R, go for that. They are well respected and are good performers. Otherwise go for the Alpine Type-S ......

For amps you can do either. MTX amps hold their own. Alpine amps are good too. I have all Alpine amps in my truck at the moment. Have never had problems w/ them. Something to watch out for in the upper Alpine sub amps is all the controls are digital. The gain, eq, etc. is kinda confusing and people complian about them. Its not that they aren't good, just not user friendly, and the manuals suck. I have the M350 and T220 that both have standard controls. I think the M300 and M500 are the ones w/ the confusing digital controls. .....

Alberta_Qaudin
11-29-2004, 09:45 AM
k well from my experience between alpine and MTX, mtx is a better all round hook it up and let it run sub, gain sets and frequency sets are easy, alpine you will get much better sound out of though IF u have an alpine amp thats set properly to the sub, all of alpines equipment is meant to run with alpine equipment only

Alberta_Qaudin
11-29-2004, 09:48 AM
oh and right now i run an alpine 500 rms amp, with am mtx just cause my 2 alpine r series 10' s were a little to much for my little sonoma

Lgnrider424
11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by EXRIDER400KFX
no dont get mtx or alpine. alpine is like a walmart speaker around here. like seriously they sell them in wal-mart. but i would recommend memphis. get two or three memphis tens and that should hit pretty hard. and get about a 800 wt amp. i just really like the sound of them. my couin and one of my friends have memphis. heard good things about them to.

yea my roommate rocks a memphis 15' in his blazer and that thing slams. id say go with memphis 10s if its in a truck other wise go bigger

SixthFloorFreak
11-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
Someone recommended the MTX9500 which is kinda dumb. Its an SPL sub meant for competitions, not for daily driving.

i mentioned the 9500, didn't recommend it. it is, however, far from an SPL sub. dual 4 ohm coils...give me a break. maybe if you used a pair of Crowns you might be able to supply the power needed to get it loud in an SPL install. maybe you're thinking of the RFL, but the 9500 is a great sub that i would run in a heartbeat

SixthFloorFreak
11-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
all of alpines equipment is meant to run with alpine equipment only

i've been around numerous installs containing Alpine speakers and subs and installed several Alpine subs myself...that statement is so far from the truth, its sickening

think about it, a speaker is simply a cone attached to a coil of wire in a magnetic gap...how can it magically "know" what kind of amp is pushing it? same goes for the amp...it creates power based on the resistor(speaker or sub) attached to it...it doesn't care what brand it is.

Bush0102
11-29-2004, 10:46 AM
If you've got money, eclipse aluminum or titanium are the only way to go...

Regular_Joe
11-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
i mentioned the 9500, didn't recommend it. it is, however, far from an SPL sub. dual 4 ohm coils...give me a break. maybe if you used a pair of Crowns you might be able to supply the power needed to get it loud in an SPL install. maybe you're thinking of the RFL, but the 9500 is a great sub that i would run in a heartbeat

Sorry, I was thinking of the RFL .....

Regular_Joe
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
all of alpines equipment is meant to run with alpine equipment only

I also totally disagree w/ that comment. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Unless the HU and amp have specific features that can only be accessed when connected w/ one another .... and I haven't seen anything like that.

SixthFloorFreak
11-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
Sorry, I was thinking of the RFL .....

figured that was the case :D

and i sure as hell wouldn't want to listen to an RFL...FS of 63hz or something...yuck :ermm:

Rastus
11-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Xtant. :cool: :devil: