PDA

View Full Version : 400ex gas leak

ignormity
11-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Hello. I have 2 things to ask about the 400ex,

the 400ex, why do i keep fouling my plugs... i went all last year on one plug, then this year i changed that plug and needed to change it again within a 5 week period. It is fouled.

The next question is that i pt in a new plug for now, and i drained the old gas ( maybe i was giving it bad gas) so i drained the gass with that little screw that is located on the side of the carb, i tightened it back up and now the carb, when the gasvalve is on, leaks gas from the tube. Could someone please help meout here?
All replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot

-Joe

nosliw
11-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ignormity

the 400ex, why do i keep fouling my plugs... i went all last year on one plug, then this year i changed that plug and needed to change it again within a 5 week period. It is fouled.

sometimes pumping the throttle when the engine is off can foul a plug. is it the same plug you used last time?

The next question is that i pt in a new plug for now, and i drained the old gas ( maybe i was giving it bad gas) so i drained the gass with that little screw that is located on the side of the carb, i tightened it back up and now the carb, when the gasvalve is on, leaks gas from the tube. Could someone please help meout here?
All replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot

-Joe

what tube?

ignormity
11-28-2004, 08:03 AM
No it is not. When I put in a spark plug, it has always been brand new. Does anyone else know wat's wrong?When i bought the machine used, he said that 400ex are notorious for fouling the plugs. Was he just saying that to sell it to me?

It still leaks gas from the tube on the bottom of the carb. When it running. When I turn the 400ex off, i always turn the valve off even if im stopping for less than a minute. The flow of the leak is a very good leak. When i drive, it runs fine. Not struggling for gas, doesn't sputter or anything. Can someone please help me?

Thanks for you reply

-Joe

JRDrider22
11-28-2004, 08:54 AM
make sure your gas line doesnt have a leak. also take your carb off and observe it. look for things that you may think are wrong.clean it out too.

nosliw
11-28-2004, 11:23 AM
No it is not. When I put in a spark plug, it has always been brand new.

sorry, i meant to ask if it's the same kind of plug; same numbers, same heat range and all that crap...

ignormity
11-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Yes it is the same plug. Same kind and numbers and all. I also checked the gas line and its also fine. No leaks or anthing else where.

mojoe2878
11-28-2004, 06:31 PM
unscrew the bowl drain plug again and back it all the way out until you can remove it from the hole. look it over real good and see if its got trash on it or is scared up real bad. that screw has a needle type tip on the other side of it that seats and closes the hole on there when its tightened so the gas wont get by, sometimes the point of it gets dirty or scared and it doesnt seat all the way when you tighten it down and it will let gas flow past it and out of the drain tube.

mojoe2878
11-28-2004, 06:36 PM
is the plug black and dry or is it oily?
if its dry then check to besure the air filter is good and clean, a dirty air filter richens the full mixture because enough air doesnt get past and it fouls out the plugs.
if its oily the you are burning oil.