PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle for a kasea?

660bigdaddy
11-27-2004, 05:44 PM
does anyone know where i can get one to fit the stock setup? my son is having a problem w/ thumb fatigue.
thanks

Ericthered rdr
11-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 660bigdaddy
does anyone know where i can get one to fit the stock setup? my son is having a problem w/ thumb fatigue.
thanks

I and probly most other parents are gonna recomend that you stay away from the twist on a mini quad....safety issues!!

Here is what you can do to help the little guy out.

Remove the air filter
remove the carb from the intake
remove the two screws from the throttle cable holder
now you will see the needle, slide, spring and restictor if you haven't removed it yet.
dissasemble the unit so that you have the spring out
cut the top three coils off of the sping
reassemble the unit in reverse and leave the brass restrictor out if JR is ready for the extra power

this will decrease the throttle tension a lot.

you can also remove the oil injection this will drastically reduce the throttle tension but....YOU MUST REPLACE THE THROTTLE CABLE WITH A SINGLE CABLE ASSEMBLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are cheap and will keep JR from getting stuck in WOT in front of the tree:D

One last trick is to slightly rotate the thumb throttle assembly upward to make the thumb trigger closer to reach. Also if the little guy has small hands ditch the stock grips and get a smalller diameter grip. I opted for some renthal meddium compounds. They are a far superior grip than stock.

Hope these tricks help.
Eric

660bigdaddy
11-28-2004, 12:10 PM
thanks for the tips. my son has raced motorcycles for 3 years and thought he would be more comfortable with something he's already used. so that is where the other cable goes. time to use premix.

660bigdaddy
11-28-2004, 12:30 PM
REPLACE THE THROTTLE CABLE WITH A SINGLE CABLE ASSEMBLY!
one other thing. what type of cable works with this conversion?
thanks

Ericthered rdr
11-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 660bigdaddy
one other thing. what type of cable works with this conversion?
thanks

call these guys 814.676.0477
here is there web site Hetrick racing (http://www.hetrickracing.com/index.htm)

Arctic Cat Dad
11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
I would stay away from a twist throttle.This may sound funny but this is what I make my son do . Go buy him a soft sponge ball. Why he's watching TV or driveing in the car have him squeeze it like a workout. It will really help. Another thing I did to help there little arms. Now don't laugh this WILL help . I filled his handle bars up with silicone, really helps keep the vibration down. I read the silicone tip from a pro MX racer's tips. Michael thinks it helped.

flash
12-18-2004, 12:31 PM
You can put a twist throttle on a mini rather easily, but it does cost. You have to get an aftermarket carb and you can get a

single cable for it. I did to my son's Xtreme and it works great.
You can get the carb and cable from Hetrick.

rbm300ex
12-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Exercise the thumb with an ice cream scoop that has the thumb 'trigger' - I keep one in my truck and one in the van - I use it while I'm driving during the 'season and the kids will use 'em too. It really does help!! Also, as mentioned previously - rotate the thumb throttle up toward the rider so its at a comfortable position for them at the thottle they are riding at mostly. Keeps the cramps at bay. Hope it all helps.........:)

660bigdaddy
12-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Exercise the thumb with an ice cream scoop i've been doing this several times a week, but with ice cream in the scoop. lol i cut the spring in the carb and ordered a single cable for the throttle from hetrick. now he is riding to the point his body is tired. not his thumb. thanks for the suggestions.

Ericthered rdr
12-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear that a suggestion worked:D