View Full Version : 450r cam question

beak7707
11-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Why is it with the HRC kit you get all the other goodies like the air box lid, bigger snork, bigger T valve that the breather hoses connect too, ect... But with the sparks or hot cam all you get is the cam. I'm looking for a good XC cam and i cant decide between the sparks or HRC. Do you not need all that other stuff with different cams or what? I have seen HRC kits on ebay complete minus the cam. Do you not need all that stuff for the HRC either. Would I benefit buying one of those kits for 30 bucks without the cam, and run it with the sparks?

D-7#61-450r
11-27-2004, 06:51 PM
The big thing you have to remmber is that alot of people buy a pipe. No need for the exhuast tip. All the air box stuff is unessesary if you run no air box lid. So all that is left is the cam, which in turn is why people bought the kit. If you plan on buying a pipe in the future I would say don't buy the HRC kit. Just buy a cam. Which one to buy is up to you.

beak7707
11-27-2004, 08:56 PM
I already have a full HMF system, and I race XC so I dont want to run without a lid. My friend has the HRC lid on his and his filter stays pretty clean. The exhaust cap and the air box llid I know arent much of a problem. But what about the bigger snorkle and the bigger T valve.

2k4z400racer
11-27-2004, 11:01 PM
I would not recommend spending the money on the sparks cam all that cam is, is a overpriced 02 crf450 cam go over to trx450r.org it has been proven that its basically a stock honda cam that cost twice as much

beak7707
11-28-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm just looking for the best setup for racing XC, and trying to figure out why you get all the extra stuff with the HRC.

BSTURDIVANT
11-28-2004, 09:38 AM
The HRC kit is just what it says -a kit to up the HP when used without buying an exhaust. Kit is not needed for xc if you modify your air box lid. Cheaper to buy stage 2 Hotcam, modify lid to resemble HRC lid (old plastic works great).

beak7707
11-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Would hotcams stage 2 be good for XC racing? I dont care what cam I get I just want the best for XC racing. Isnt the stage 2 for built motors, all I have is a HMF full system.

kazpr
11-29-2004, 06:41 PM
The stage 2 will work perfectly for what you have. might up the compression also as that will add alot of low end.

beak7707
11-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Not really looking to replace a piston that has 20 hours on it yet. Does the stage 2 make better power than the HRC.

bobbo97f150
11-30-2004, 05:05 PM
This has some pretty good info on cams.
TRX450R.org Cam Info (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1659)

RedRacer44
11-30-2004, 05:30 PM
The old Sparks cams were just CRF cams but the newer cams are actual redesigned cams and aren't the old CRF cams. The Sparks cam is also a midrange/top end cam.

I've ridden an HRC equipped quad and my quad has the StageII Hot Cam....both cams are midrange-top end cams, and felt very similiar as far as power delievery. One or the other didnt hit harder or pull harder.....

I wouldnt totally recommend either cam for XC because I'd think you want more bottom end for XC racing right? The HRC and StageII HotCam kills a lil' bottom end in my experience. The bad thing about the Stage I HotCam, which is a bottom end/midrange cam, is that I've heard the cam causes the power to sign off way before the rev limiter kicks in. I tried running a 13t front sprocket with my motor too and it killed the power except on the very bottom end.

If you have the $$$ for race gas, the 13:1 JE piston creates AWESOME bottom end for riding in the woods. I mainly race MX but we have some XC trails I ride, and man, my motor works great in the woods.

I know this didnt solve your dilema so I'm not sure what would answer your question. I think you best bet would be to call a quad shop that has a reputation in XC racing. Laz at GT Thunder would be a good place to start.....

04trx450R
11-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I would recomend the HRC kit, I went with it because the kit was put together by honda and therefore to me, means it will be more reliable than going all aftermarket,,,, where you already have an exhaust, just sell your hrc end cap,,,,,, Honda put the snorkle and t-fitting, and jet and needle in there for a reason, I love the hrc air box lid,, that splash guard was a great idea,,,, plus if your gonna buy the cam alone its like 216.00 or something, I dont remember exactly,, pay an extra 40 bucks and get the whole kit, my dealership matched servise hondas price plus, I got the entire kit for 245.00,,,, the power is awesome,,,,,, Just my .02

250RXCrider
11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
I race XC and run the Sparks Agressive Cam with a HMF exhuast and the left over HRC kit parts (lid, the "Y" breather, needle and main jet). I had bought the HRC kit then decided to sell the cam and purchase the Sparks cam. The power is very smooth with the most gains in the midrange. I never ran the cam without the other HRC parts, so I don't know if there was noticeable power difference. One part I do like from the HRC Kit is the lid, but I am sure with little effort you could make your own. :)

-JP

brandonpeake
11-30-2004, 06:34 PM
well i had this same situation so here is some more free advice, run with the full lid, i cut mine then totally removed it, first i cut the stock lid and the jetting wasnt spot on so i removed it and it was closer but still not spot on, and no matter what i tried i never could get the take off sputter out at all times, like betweem races where would have some different elevations, but i had never had trouble with the lid on, 2nd the seat on a 450R doesnt seal as well as other quads on my 400ex, banshee, raptor etc i have ran a no lid setup and when just sprauing off the quad the air box was relatively dry with a 450R mine was always sitting in water, so i dnt like that, now to the cam ?
i am sending my motor to c&d for a power upgrade doing higher comp piston 13 to 1 more than likely, stage 2 hotcams and i have a bill ballance carbon fiber pipe full system and colby is going to port it for me, and with the combo the stage 2 was right for me for xc, but without the piston and porting i think i may would have tried something else, its all in how you ride also, i felt after the higher comp and porting i would not need a bottom end cam , this setup im running is the same colby runs in his R for xc as well, hope this helps, i will post a full review on mine when i get the quad back together

beak7707
11-30-2004, 08:56 PM
A couple of my buddies are running the HRC and seem to like it. I think I'll go with it. If I dont think theres enough bottom end I'd say by the end of the season it will be due for a new piston and I'll go high comp.

benwa450r
12-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I suggest the HRC kit even if you don't use the end cap. The T-hose and jet and NEEDLE make jetting easier. I keep my stock airbox lid for washing bike. I went up to 190 main jet with hi-comp piston due to race gas running now. A hi-comp piston later will work good with HRC cam. My 2-cents.

beak7707
12-02-2004, 12:55 PM
What exhaust are you running benwa450r?