PDA

View Full Version : Axle nut tool?

speedracer350X
11-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Anyone kow where I can get a tool for the axle nuts on my 400EX plus my 350X? I tried service Honda, but they were like, we only sell parts. I see Motion Pro sells them, but I'm not sure they will fit my models. Their's states the tool they sells for Yamaha's.I know Honda sport machine's , even my old 350X, is the same size as a 400EX, something like a 52mm. Thanks for any suggestions, using a pipe wrench is starting to chew them up some.

chucked
11-27-2004, 02:44 PM
you can get cheap big wrenches through www.harborfreight.com

TC426EX
11-28-2004, 10:49 AM
The BEST investment you could make is not a tool, but a new axle nut... For 40 bucks you can get a RAD locknut which utilizes a pinchbolt system instead of the jam nuts like the stocker. Thats a reasonable price considering and anti-fade locknut runs a couple hundred...I am convinced that aside from having a frozen swingarm pivot bolt, that locknut is the biggest pain in the *** you could possibly have on that bike... Invest in the pinchbolt locknut and youll be forever thankful that you did trust me...

Dumontexrider
12-14-2004, 08:50 PM
when i swapped my axle i used a pipe wench and a 15" cressant wrench

mikeman828
12-16-2004, 04:31 AM
At my old job they had a "FORD" wrench which worked primo!!!

It looks like a pipe wrench but has no teeth, it's smoth like and adjustable wrench....

Worked perfect!!

underpowered
12-16-2004, 08:39 AM
i just use a pair of big *** channel locks ( NO kidding, that is what they are called at sears)

shep
12-16-2004, 05:09 PM
:bandit: 18 inch cresent wrench!!

BrandonBlackmon
01-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
The BEST investment you could make is not a tool, but a new axle nut... For 40 bucks you can get a RAD locknut which utilizes a pinchbolt system instead of the jam nuts like the stocker. Thats a reasonable price considering and anti-fade locknut runs a couple hundred...I am convinced that aside from having a frozen swingarm pivot bolt, that locknut is the biggest pain in the *** you could possibly have on that bike... Invest in the pinchbolt locknut and youll be forever thankful that you did trust me...

Where could you find the RAD locknut??

JOEX
01-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BrandonBlackmon
Where could you find the RAD locknut??
I belive C&D Racing sells the RAD locknut.

maggiesboy
01-11-2005, 07:41 AM
You can order the wrench size you need through your dealer. I bought a set of motion pro wrenches for around $20.00 and you can use a torque wrench with them as well.

crookedeyemoto-x
01-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I used a 3 ft. pipe wrench

markk
01-21-2005, 02:49 PM
If u use a 18inch Cresent wrench like shep said, Just be sure u dont over tighten the nut, I did that and it cost me a whole new carrier! I actully use pipe wrenchs, They do the job, but the muff up the nuts a little bit!

speedracer350X
01-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I use the pipe wrench trick myself for years on my 350X, and my previous 200X. About 2 years or so ago I bought a RAD locknut for my 350X, seems to do the trick, although I don't ride it much anymore. Really just wanted the tool to do it right as far as torqueing the nuts down correctly. Plan to pull the axle this spring on my '03 400EX and grease it, not wait til the bearings go bad like I did before on my ATC's. Lesson learned the hard and expensive way. Anyways, thanks for all the advice!!! Ride hard, ride fast, ride Red!!!

ex kid
01-21-2005, 09:14 PM
go to your local shop and check out the Parts Umlimited ATV book, Motion Pro makes a nice set.

Locknload82
01-23-2005, 12:36 PM
The axle bearings on my 2002 400 were sealed, non greasable bearings. I assume the ones on your '03 would be the same. No use taking the axle out unless you are going to replace the bearings. Also there are o rings in the bearing carrier, so if you take it out to remove the bearings you should replace the orings too.

speedracer350X
01-23-2005, 06:34 PM
What I mean is I'd like to pack some grease in the bearing carrier, but I'd pull the axle to do that. I know the bearings are sealed, trust me, did a few on my older ATC's. But I know that you can get an extra year or so out of the rear carrier bearings by putting some more grease in their. Keep in mind, I may only ride once a month, and I don't race or anything, but i do like to "hammer down" when I ride. Also, the terrain I ride in here in PA is mostly wet, even in the driest summer like we had 2 years ago, you still come home muddy. Just like to keep my stuff well maintained, (maybe even over-maintained).

fastforward400
01-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Locknload82
The axle bearings on my 2002 400 were sealed, non greasable bearings. I assume the ones on your '03 would be the same. No use taking the axle out unless you are going to replace the bearings. Also there are o rings in the bearing carrier, so if you take it out to remove the bearings you should replace the orings too.

I'm betting you didn't pop the seal out of your bearings and pack them with grease, did you? All that is in there is some vasoline type stuff. Not a bad idea to pull them and grease them if you've got the time and tools. It can be done in 2 hours. It'll save you the $20 on bearings.

sprtrx300ex
02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
To loosen up your stock axle nut, take a lighter and hold it under the nut, and rotate for about 2 mins. Then use a pipe wrench and it should come irght off. My axle nut wouldnt come off untill I heated it.

Oh yea, make sure your turning the nut the right way, its reverse threaded.

wilkin250r
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Pinching locknut

Pinching locknut

Pinching locknut

The RAD locknut has already been mentioned, but there are several different brands. Personally, I prefer the type with 2 pinchbolts as opposed to 1, but you definitely won't be dissapointed with the RAD locknut.

As for tools, I don't know if the 350X uses the same tools as the 400EX, so if you get a specialty-made tool like the Motion Pro set, you may end up buying two sets. Your local auto-parts store will have large crescent wrenches, but their usually name-brand, and rather expensive. I'm lucky enough to have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby, and I picked up a 24in crescent wrench for 14.99. You might be able to use smaller, like an 18 inch, for about $10