PDA

View Full Version : difference between 8" and 9" rear wheels

mach5racing4
11-27-2004, 01:10 AM
is there any benefit in running an 8" rear wheel over a 9"? or 9" over 8"? i am going to run 20x11 tires, let me know, thanks

EvilJester400EX
11-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Eight inch tires give the better ride. I use 9 inch rims on my YFZ, and I like them better than the 8's I ran on my 400. Nine inch rims don't allow the sidewall to flex as much as the 8 inch. I dunno, personal preference I guess. Honestly, the only difference I've noticed is that my 9's slide better but ride the same as my 8s.

Ralph
11-27-2004, 12:27 PM
My main prefrance for 8" rims is the choice in tires they make for 8's. If you buy an 8 inch rim you will beable to get just about any tire for it. But not all tires come in 9.

mach5racing4
11-27-2004, 12:40 PM
ok, thanks, one doesn't break loose easier than another? i am just curious, are the 8" wheels significantly lighter than 9"? i heard light wheels are great because of the unsprung weight, but is that only good for mx?

Ralph
11-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by mach5racing4
ok, thanks, one doesn't break loose easier than another? i am just curious, are the 8" wheels significantly lighter than 9"? i heard light wheels are great because of the unsprung weight, but is that only good for mx?

I dont think weight is an issue to worry about. Both are pretty light and wont make much of a difference. Atleast one you can really feel.

Juggalo
11-27-2004, 04:08 PM
you probably have more unsprung weight with an 8 inch rim than a 9 inch. sure the 8 inch rim weighs less than the 9 in. but with an 8 inch rim you have more sidewall which means more tire weight, and as you know tires weigh more than rims, so the less tire you have the less unsprung weight...but then again none of this is really significant enough to really make a difference.

Ralph
11-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
you probably have more unsprung weight with an 8 inch rim than a 9 inch. sure the 8 inch rim weighs less than the 9 in. but with an 8 inch rim you have more sidewall which means more tire weight, and as you know tires weigh more than rims, so the less tire you have the less unsprung weight...but then again none of this is really significant enough to really make a difference.

exactly. I would go with the 8's cause i find it easier to get tires for them but i ride mostly mx so it might be diff.