PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust and Intake

04-19-2002, 06:08 AM
Hey guys, from talking to people I am getting mixed stories so I figured I would ask you guys, I have a Bone Stock 2001 400 and I am going to do a few modifications, not too much, Honda already made a damn fast bike, but i would like to put a White Bros. E Series Slip on Exhaust and a K & N Intake filter on it. I am debating on the exhaust either Yoshi or White Bros. but I am Positive about the Intake(obviously K & N). The question is can I put my Intake filter on and a slip on Exhaust and not have to worry about the carbuerator, or am I definitly going to have to get a Jet Kit. Some have told me the put an intake on theirs and a Exhaust and it runs great but I would rather hear yall's opinion.Thank You for all your help!!

Brad

ChadEXer
04-19-2002, 08:17 AM
You will definately need a jet kit. you dont want your bike running lean(which it will)! jet kits arent that expensive and they make a difference and make sure your bike lasts!! just get you a power kit with the filter and jet kit together. Marcums probably has them in stock for the best price!

tj's400ex
04-19-2002, 08:37 AM
I did a uni filter, 6 filter jets and WB e-slip on and did not have to jet, It ran great. I jetted only because I wanted to. They say every 400 is different and some have to jet and some don't.
Good Luck.

frogburner
04-19-2002, 08:48 AM
I ran the magamaxII on mine, and it ran fine, but i put a K&N on and precharger, and cut airbox, and now it wont run worth a crap.. My adapter that i broke for my jet kit is supposed to be in so hopefully it will finally get jetted..

04-19-2002, 08:55 AM
Frogburner,,,just remember to be patiant and only make 1 change at a time, and the quad needs to be warmed up before you can make a judgement on whether it's jetted correctly, this is the only way to play with a carb..:D Good luck.

Blackguywithouta400
04-19-2002, 12:06 PM
When adding your filter and exhaust you will need to counter the increased flow with more fuel but jetting the carb, many have ran out and bought a jet kit because thats what they needed not knowing that all they really needed was to buy a main jet for there carb, the rest was already there. Going from an stock to K&N or free flowing filter in combination with opening the air box enough to get a gain from that will require you to need to richen up your mid throttle area by raising the needle 1 clip. then as for the exhaust you might want to to try depending on what your exahust says maybe a 155 main this is with the stock jets from your honda dealer they will have main jets in many sizes. They should cost about 5$ when jet kit runs about 50$ and your get a lot of jets u dont end up using. Just another thing to think about.

yellow machine
04-19-2002, 01:02 PM
Quickex,
I bought a K&N power kit which has the jet kit, filter, outerwear, and cleaning supplies in it at the same time I bought the E-series slip on which comes with 12 discs, I bought another 6 pack of discs and the longer bolts to accomadate the extra discs, I am running the 165 main jet from K&N, I also cut a 2 and 1/2 inch hole in the back of the air box lid and ground out the extra weld in the head pipe. I am very glad the jet kit was there because I had to play around alot with jetting it, plus you get a new needle. If you travel to ride to a different elevation then you will have most possibilities for what jet you need. Good Luck!

By the way the E-series w/18 discs is pretty loud, but well worth it!:D