PDA

View Full Version : peps or elkas

ti-ex
11-26-2004, 07:17 PM
who has the better shock? elka or peps

rollie
11-26-2004, 07:53 PM
ive never ridden PEP's but my elkas are awsome and i heard it takes forever to get PEP's.....there both awsome shocks...TCS is also good dont get works if you have the money for something better:cool:

hondarider2006
11-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Elaks get my vote. I have them and I love em:) My rear shock is a works though...still 100% better than stock and I got it for a good price;)

TC426EX
11-27-2004, 08:39 AM
PEP... Best shocks Ive ever ridden, and you can get them in reasonable time from Baldwin... (4-6 weeks in the off season). As far as dealing with Wayne.......FORGET it...

11-27-2004, 11:33 AM
i like elkas the best...they have great service and support...and put lots of time and R&D into making their shocks right...definantly go with the elkas :macho ...elkas u can get really fast...and in my opinion are better then the other brands...and use better components in their shocks...but you cant go wrong with any of them

Ralph
11-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Ill just give you my opinion on all 4 of them.

Elka:

Good shocks, Great service, fast delivery time. You can get elkas in a little over a week to your door. The shocks have proven themselves to be awesome. Prices are starting to get pretty steep but you get what you pay for.

P.E.P. :

I liked mine more than the elkas but they werent in the same class. These shocks have also proven themselves and I have never heard anybody complain about the performance of their P.E.P's. On the other hand, it can take over 6 months to get your shocks. They have been known not to answer their phone all to much but if you have the time go for them. I have heard of people getting their shocks sooner so maybe things are starting to pick up. It seems like baldwin is the place to get them from. The Pricing on P.E.P's seems pretty fair.

TCS :

Never owned or ridden on these shocks but from what is hear these shocks are good. Same quality in service as Elka and The price is awesome. Im pretty sure delivery time is good on them aswell.

Works:

These shocks are better than stock but not up to par with the other 3. These shocks are priced very well and are very affordable and you can also plan on getting them very soon after you orderd them. Not a long waiting time to have them built because Works builds a load of shocks in advance to different specs.

I would recomend Elka if you have the money and want the best shock in a reasonable time. TCS if you want a nice set of shocks for a great price and WORKS if you broke and you need something better than stock.:chinese:

wheeltrax
11-27-2004, 02:45 PM
I have been reading around because im going to end up buying front shocks in the very near future. I have read in quite a few places that the Elkas feel stiff when hitting small rocks and small bumps. I am leaning towards the elkas, but if they are going to be stiff and wear me out, than thats not what im looking for. I really mainly do your average backyard bashing, a small track up north, and alot of trail riding. Id like to make the best decision on my shocks and be pleased with them since they are expensive.

Ralph
11-27-2004, 02:55 PM
TCS's will probably be fine for your riding then but the elkas will deff not wear you out any faster than stock or any other aftermarket shock.

11-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
I have been reading around because im going to end up buying front shocks in the very near future. I have read in quite a few places that the Elkas feel stiff when hitting small rocks and small bumps. I am leaning towards the elkas, but if they are going to be stiff and wear me out, than thats not what im looking for. I really mainly do your average backyard bashing, a small track up north, and alot of trail riding. Id like to make the best decision on my shocks and be pleased with them since they are expensive.

elka had valving problems to start off...but they have fixed that now so u dont need to worry about it :D

Ralph
11-27-2004, 04:01 PM
That was a long time ago and they fixed everybodys shocks.

elkablaster94
11-28-2004, 07:39 AM
i agree with ralph when he said that pep's r in a whole different class then the rest. i have elkas on my quad, there nice n plush on the bigger jumps, and they dont dive in corners. but they do have there share of problems, for one, they are overly stiff at low speeds, and as you speed up, they start to feel soft (i have rezzies too so they shuldnt be heat fading) all in all, there a good MX shock but u gotta fine tune em just right to have em work to there potential

PEP's, from what i am hearng, are already dialed in for you, so u juss bolt em up n go. my buddy told me they ask like 30 questions, ranging from wheel offset to front bumper (dont ask me how that matters but it somehow has an effect on performance). then again, these shocks have been on the market for over 10 years, so these guy know what works.

the bottom lie is, any aftermaket shock will make ur quad handle 10x better, its just a matter of whether your willing to wait the extra 5 months to gain that small bit of performance, so my advice is go to the local track and ask the guys what theyre running and how they like it, you'll find alot more there then just reading websites and stuff.

Ralph
11-28-2004, 08:51 AM
SORRY, WHAT I MEAN TO SAY THAT THE ELKAS WERENT IN THE SAME CLASS LIKE PRICE CLASS. Like they were p.e.p zps and the elkas were only tripple rates or something.

SuzukiRacr07
11-28-2004, 07:05 PM
for smoothness, PEPs for sure......... but if u dnt feel like waiting, elkas are good too, just not as smooth as the PEPs