PDA

View Full Version : Is my counterbalancer going bad

deathman53
11-26-2004, 07:06 PM
when I run the motor in my 250r, I can hear something that sounds like a bearing, it seams to follow when I rev the motor, counterbalancer or what? I don't feel vibration in the frame when I goose the gas.

44oEX
11-26-2004, 07:25 PM
there might be a bearing that is ready to let go in the bottom end. If that is the case I would check it out before you get in a big mess.

zedicus00
11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
how long has it been since the topend has been gone through? it might be piston slap. or even just detonaition. can u describe it a lil more an does it do it all the time or only cold or when?

joedirt
11-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Get it checked before you tear up the bottom end

ZRider400
11-27-2004, 12:17 PM
check it. if it fails it will lead to bigger problems. on my old R it vibrated so bad that it loosened up the case bolts making the center case gasket blow out:p

kyex40047
11-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Has the water pump mechanical seal been going out? The counter balance drives the water pump and if the counter balance goes out it will cause the water pump seal to fail. Mine kept going out and then one time the engine locked up after water pump stoped, So I pulled my clutch cover off and saw where the counterbalance gear rubed on my case because the bearing fell apart caused some play in it. Pull off you clutch cover off and see if there is any play in the gear (moving up and down or side to side). If there is get it fixed soon. I found out to late, it cost me over $1600 in engine repair.

deathman53
11-28-2004, 01:52 PM
haven't had problems with the mechanical seal, I got the counterbalancer just in time, the bearing has seen better days, I replaced it with a new unit from honda. Now heres the funny part, I decided to replace my kicker gears(they slip a bit) and assembled it wrong, take it aparts, look in my manual, get it together right,I had a bit of trouble getting the cover on, set the bike down on two wheels(its a trike) and I'm leaking oill, scramble and find my engine gasket set, go to put the gasket on and it won't stay, I put a layer of greese on the cover and stick the gasket on, and everything was good. Finally!!!! Keep in mind everytime I took the side case apart I had to drain the coolant, and the first time drain the oil, well, I had enough oil for the second time, but not enough for the third, so gotta lean the bike on two wheels. draining and putting in coolant three times isn't exactly fun.

deathman53
11-28-2004, 07:16 PM
are the counterbalancers the same in all motors? 88/89 have different part numbers than the 86/87, but the major engine change was is 87, ?. I notice alot of the 88/89 parts are the same and have different part numbers. I know the kicker parts a bit different in the 88/89, but anything else? and cluth was a bit different in 89.

kyex40047
11-28-2004, 08:57 PM
You do not have to drain your coolant everytime you take the clutch cover off. Just leave the hoses connected and move the cover to the side out of your way. As for the parts being the same, I could not tell you that. Order what ever part number is for your bike, If you don't, you are taking a risk on putting a part in your engine that is not ment for it and that will cause big problems.