PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooting

APK400exRacer
11-26-2004, 05:44 PM
What are some sites for trouble shooting the engine of a 400ex? Besides this one ;)

mojoe2878
11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
idk, what is the problem?

APK400exRacer
11-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Well lots of things. First the cam chain came off the sprocket. So we put it on after inspection. Go to start it it wouldnt idle. Kept trying and it was running very loud. So we keep trying and try to distinguish the sound, but we couldnt tell. So now it sounds like the cam chain fell off again. How much does a new motor run me? Like possibly used.

mojoe2878
11-26-2004, 08:30 PM
sounds like the cam chain is stretched and when you put it back on it was out of time because of it, probably have some valve and/or piston damage now too.
check out ebay and search for 400ex motor and see whats on there now, ive seen them go from around $500 and up on there. just be sure if you buy one that the seller has good feedback so it will lesson the chances of getting a bad motor from someone.

Scott-300ex
11-26-2004, 11:06 PM
or the cam gear is striped out, happened to our '70 fairlane, wouldn't idle, had to keep restarting it to get it home, wouldn't run because the chain kept slipping and the timing was all off, put a new timin chain, and gears on the crank and cam and boom. back to normal.

LazeR
11-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Put your problems in the Powertain forum and most likely someone will be able to help you.

Metzroth
11-27-2004, 12:47 AM
b4 u get a new engine check and see what the damage is. IF its not too bad, just an excuse to get a new piston do some head work and bore:D but if its going to be more expensive to do that, see how much a used engine is. i cant see why the chain would be too expensive. I don't know much about the cam chain, im guessing tis the ?timing chain? shouldnt be to expensive. IF im all wrong about this cut me some slack im a newb when it comes to quads. Just trying to help lol.