PDA

View Full Version : Idle adjustment for 2003 250ex?

atomicjtr
11-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I have a 2003 250EX sport trax and I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a way to adjust the engine idle? if so, where on the engine is it located? It just doesnt want to stay running with the choke in, and the bike has maybe a total of 2 hours on it.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

atomicjtr
11-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Bump. :)

FasstMidnightZ
11-27-2004, 11:03 AM
its a screw on the carb u turn it to have less idle or more idle

atomicjtr
11-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks!

Ralph
11-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Also, it should be fine from the dealer. When first starting the bike let it sit for a few minutes with the choke on to let it warm up.

Also, because it is so new i dont think you should play with the carb just yet. The engine needs to break in. All the bearings in the motor will loosen up and things start to run smooth together. The rings on the piston also need to set.

You should Run the motor as it is for a little and then go with an oil change. Also adjust the valves or have them get done. Usualy the dealer includes a first checkup where they will do all of the above. If you still have an idle problem then tell the dealer about it and they will set it for you at the first check up.

YFZ450Ridr
11-27-2004, 12:24 PM
its a 2003 model, so its a year or so old. im sure ud be fine adjusting the idle on it. i like mind idleing hi because when i get on the gas im already half way there:p :blah:

Ralph
11-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by atomicjtr
and the bike has maybe a total of 2 hours on it.

FasstMidnightZ
11-27-2004, 01:21 PM
yea it can be an 03 but only have 2 hrs on it . It just didnt get sold that year

atomicjtr
11-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I was wondering, does this adjustment screw also change the a/f ratio? I'm familiar with how idle adjustment stuff works on fuel injected engines, and when you adjust that idle screw it's only putting more spring tension on the throttle plate, a carb is much different aparently lol. Main reason I ask is because before you all replied to this thread, I went and tweaked the screw that I believe hondaexrider was referring to. (see pics below) when the choke is up it idles high now, and even after letting it warm up for 5 minutes, if I put the choke over half way in it starts to sputter and then dies. I went out and rode it for a minute and on my way back to the house after I downshifted into 2nd it sounded like it backfired. :huh So, I back the screw out a little bit and left it alone for now. I wanted to see what you all thought before I started it back up again.

Sorry if I sound like a retard at all this, it's been almost 15 years since I had a bike, and I'm obviously needing a refresher course in carb'd 4 strokes! Plus my wife somehow managed to lose the freakin manual, so that doesn't make it any easier :ermm:

Also, I bought the bike brand new almost a year ago, rode it at the dunes once, and just now I'm finally able to take it back out again. This is the reason for the low hours. :cool:

Thanks again!

http://www.extreme-athlete.com/idle1.jpg

http://www.extreme-athlete.com/idle2.jpg

Ralph
11-27-2004, 01:59 PM
i dont remember wich screw it was, but make sure you have fresh gas and that the gas is turned on. As for the screw your turned it could be the air screw. The idle is a sepertate one.

atomicjtr
11-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
i dont remember wich screw it was, but make sure you have fresh gas and that the gas is turned on. As for the screw your turned it could be the air screw. The idle is a sepertate one.

Gas is fresh and On. Any idea where the screw I need might be located?

thanks.

Ralph
11-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Just have the quad runnning and play with some of the screws, just a little bit of a turn and you should hear an increase in rpms. If you dont just turn it back to what it was.

brokeitin3
11-27-2004, 04:43 PM
the mixture screw you are looking for is on the very bottom side of the carb. you cant really see it, you gotta feel for it. but its there. just look on the bottom side betwen the engine and the forward most part of the float bowl. and if you need any advice on the little 250. i had one and tried almost everything with it.

FasstMidnightZ
11-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Just have the quad runnning and play with some of the screws, just a little bit of a turn and you should hear an increase in rpms. If you dont just turn it back to what it was. i had to do that execpt i marked with a pencil where it was before i even moved to make sure it was at when i was done

atomicjtr
11-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
the mixture screw you are looking for is on the very bottom side of the carb. you cant really see it, you gotta feel for it. but its there. just look on the bottom side betwen the engine and the forward most part of the float bowl. and if you need any advice on the little 250. i had one and tried almost everything with it.

Thanks!