PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Pads = slow stops?

max400EX
09-03-2001, 07:55 PM
I got new rear brake pads, and i still find my self having to push down hard to get it to slow down in time. I had my brakes bled very well and added new DOT4 fluid. Should i get a new cable? Has anyone else had this problem, please help.

09-03-2001, 08:31 PM
either use brake cleaner on them or bled them again...a good way to remove air from the lines is to take the caliper and resivior lid of and push the caliper piston all the way in with like a c clip..you should see the air bubles in the resivoir

09-03-2001, 08:32 PM
c clamp

max400EX
09-03-2001, 09:20 PM
when the pads were off i hit the brake and the piston extended and brake fluid came out. after taht i pushed the piston back farther then flush with the rest of everything. after i bled the brakes very well, got all the bubles out then after that we ran thru it 2 more times after all the bubbles were out.

My rotor is scratched from the old pads, could that make it stop slower? The scratches arent deep or anything.

What cleaner are you talkin about and how do you do it?

sorry for all the questions
thanks for the help

Wheelie
09-03-2001, 09:26 PM
I recently went with EBC's Severe Duty pads and had the same problem. I too had scratches on my rear rotor. Give your pads a little time to break in, ride at a moderate pace and occasionally hit your brakes. After a short period of time your brake feel will be as good as new.

09-03-2001, 09:27 PM
well it might be your rotor but just by brake cleaner from the car parts store and just spray the pad and rotor down good but you will probly be needing a new rotor

max400EX
09-03-2001, 09:33 PM
thanks for the help guys, i am gunna give it some time. Im pretty sure i dont need a new rotor(i hope not). I gave it a good wash after i rode it and made sure to hit the rotor and sprockets with a scrub brush, they will be nice and clean for the next ride.