PDA

View Full Version : suspension for 400ex

guitar628
11-26-2004, 02:43 AM
I have just gottin into riding this past year and just got my quad in july. I like just doing regular riding in dirt areas, and my quad takes it all just fine. if i hit some whoops that are kinda deep it throws me sideways and stuff. is that my rear shock that needs to be adjusted? also i have been getting into jumping recently, and just did a 35-40 foot jump, and i bottomed out and im not sure if its the rear or front shock, i filmed it and my front end kinda bounced up and my exhaust pipe gets completely hidden behind the tire from impact which seems like its compressing too much. I would like to get a suspension upgrade because it seems like everytime i go out i just wanna hit the jumps harder, and i would like to avoid getting thrown off. I really dont even know where to start with suspension so if anyone could help me on what i should start with wheather i need extended a-arms or better shock or a new rear shock or what not, im kinda on a budget but i dont want to spend any money on something thats not worth it. I just really dont know the difference between the major brands works elka axis and pep, and the a-arm companys house jd and all those.

YFZ450Ridr
11-26-2004, 03:04 AM
if ur bottomin out alot, you could stiffen up ur rear shock, which i am pretty sure its adjustable.

and if you went ahead and bought some aftermarket shocks im sure ud be pleased. if ur just riding trails, open areas, fields flats and what not then you could probablly get away with a cheaper brand up shocks and save a little bit. but if your doing any kinda of racing i think elkas are probablly the best bet.

ask around on here, im sure somebody has the info ur looking for.

guitar628
11-26-2004, 03:11 AM
cool, man thanks. yeah im not into racing as much. and also is the resivor just so the shocks dont break down as easily, again is that for racing. yeah im hoping that guy jeff will see this thread he seems to be the guy that knows everything about shock, but thanks for your input.

DaleJrFan
11-26-2004, 07:34 AM
yeah, i know the feeling, i dont race either but enjoy some good jumps so you can go with the "cheaper but better shocks" like works. they are not elkas but they are a huge upgrade from stock. depending on what year model you quad is, you may just need to get the stock rear shock re-valved and adjusted. as far as a-arms, there a lot a brands to go with and they are all better than stock, just dont go to wide so that you dont fit on trails any more. look around in these fourms and there a are alot of post on here about upgrading you suspension.

crazyatvn
11-27-2004, 09:25 PM
I have a 2002 400ex works shocks upfront and they are great. I use to have the problem with swaping in a whoops section if they were big enough till I got a 1.25 longer swingarm and had my shock revalved. Now I can go asfast as I would like to and she tracks prefectly. I think you could get by with works front and just adjust the back for now until you start jumping to big of jumps. Also try to land more on the back tires that will help your fronts from bottoming to much. My 2 Cents.

QuAdEr 317
11-27-2004, 11:07 PM
http://img30.exs.cx/img30/373/mypeps.jpg

Try PEPS:D

guitar628
11-27-2004, 11:20 PM
how much did youget your peps for?

QuAdEr 317
11-28-2004, 02:20 PM
550 after just getting rebuilt

11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
If your rear is swapping the front end through a set of whoops then your rear shock is "packing up". You need to speed up the rebound. If the shock is bottoming out then slow down your compression. Go to my website for a complete guide on setting up and dialing in your shocks. http://www.****techatv.com