PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700

310Rduner
11-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Wondering what you guys think of the remington model 700 police. I'm starting my countdown to turning 18 in june.. and I'm starting my shopping list:D

I have a m59/66 sks right now which is great for plinking and shooting a ton of lead downrange.. but I'm looking for an extremely accurate rifle that I can get into some club and competition shooting with with potential to 600+yards. I'd be adding a high quality scope after the initial purchase when funds where there again.

I'm also looking for your opinions on shotguns, such as the remington 870 express and other configurations. I'm drawn to the matte black express with the 18" barell but have heard reports that it isn't as finely finished as their other configurations?

Any opinions on fulton armory, or springfield armory m1a's in comparison to the rem 700 at long distances? (Or other guns I may not have looked at)

Before anyone mentions it, ar's are not legal here in cali even though the awb has gone.

Pappy
11-25-2004, 08:15 PM
the 700 will hold an "out of the box" accuracy edge over the M1A. Bolt guns usually do.

the 700 in 308 in the "police" edition (bull barrel, matt finish) is a great shooter straight from remington when match ammo is used. a small amount of bedding work combined with either working the factory trigger (yep it can be adjusted) and a quality scope this rifle is very very hard to beat. handloading for this combo and a good shooter can easily achieve "kill" shots at 800 yards +

the M1A is another outstanding shooter. you can order it in standard issue all teh way up to full sniper level. price is the factor on this one as one decked out without a scope will easily run over $2200. they are incredibly accurate and still kick *** at camp perry in the long distance competitions. the same rules above apply for even increased accuracy. mine will shoot M.O.A. with open sites at 200 yards with my handloads!

310Rduner
11-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
the 700 will hold an "out of the box" accuracy edge over the M1A. Bolt guns usually do.

the 700 in 308 in the "police" edition (bull barrel, matt finish) is a great shooter straight from remington when match ammo is used. a small amount of bedding work combined with either working the factory trigger (yep it can be adjusted) and a quality scope this rifle is very very hard to beat. handloading for this combo and a good shooter can easily achieve "kill" shots at 800 yards +

the M1A is another outstanding shooter. you can order it in standard issue all teh way up to full sniper level. price is the factor on this one as one decked out without a scope will easily run over $2200. they are incredibly accurate and still kick *** at camp perry in the long distance competitions. the same rules above apply for even increased accuracy. mine will shoot M.O.A. with open sites at 200 yards with my handloads!

I've been lusting after the m1a's for a while.. but after stumbling across the 700's and the giant price difference it's mighty hard for me to turn it down. Also knowing that it's the standard for police and swat snipers weighs pretty heavily in it's favor. I'm by no means an experienced shooter, but I still want that accuracy and I'll learn to reach it's potential. I'm looking to pair it with the best leupold scope I can afford for my applications.

Pappy
11-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
I'm looking to pair it with the best leupold scope I can afford for my applications.

;) thats all you will find on my firearms

FasstMidnightZ
11-25-2004, 08:44 PM
those things are nice http://www.tickridgechurch.org/Auction/Remington700_small.jpg

Ericthered rdr
11-25-2004, 08:51 PM
310rduner that combo you mention is dead on. Hard to beat combo.

310Rduner
11-25-2004, 08:54 PM
;) thats all you will find on my firearms

Which models do you have? I'm probably looking for about $400-600 (willing to go more though) and the vx-3's seem to be right in that range. My impressions are that 50mm objective would be better to let more light in and be more crisp at distance, and 3.5-10 for distance. I've researched how optics work before so I have a basic understanding of sizing and such. I'll be spending my time mostly from 100yards, to 300yards. I'm looking for facilities with longer distances close by but it's not looking to good.

Pappy
11-25-2004, 09:02 PM
correct, but why pay for a 50mm when it wont offer you any benefit under 500 yards and how mant times will the small amount of extra light really be of any use?

i have several models. my hunting rifles all recieve the $250 special..lol 3 x 9 x 40. nothing fancy but they work. i havent scoped my new DPMS AR15 yet, simply havent had time to look the new models over.

get the most scope you can afford, just make sure your getting things worth paying for. id rather have a 40mm scope and have mil-dot reticle then a standard 50mm with crosshairs. the mil dot reticle will have you on target without doping your scope. other features are up to you, some have adjustable units with ballistic charts(doping with new technology:p ) and they work. but in 308 caliber and the distances youve stated it wont be of huge value.

i was taught to shoot with a scope for the main purpose of hitting a human size target. i dont need anything fancy, because in the real world the fancy gadgets just slow your mind down.

310Rduner
11-25-2004, 09:13 PM
I definately want it in mil-dot. I was just reading the other night on how the mil-dot works and was pretty excited about the ability to sight in distances based on just that. I'm really hoping to find a range over 300 yards here so I have a reason to set it up with for longer distances. Otherwise I'm just overscoping for the distances I'll be shooting just like you said.

The sks is great fun for shooting all day, but I certainly don't expect anything more than hitting man sized targets at 200 yards, simply wasn't designed to do it.

Pappy
11-25-2004, 09:17 PM
do you handload? if not its an awesome hobby.

310Rduner
11-25-2004, 09:25 PM
do you handload? if not its an awesome hobby.

At this point, no. I'm sure I'll gravitate towards it at some point:devil: It's impossible to not get every single gadget or toy after you get involved in a hobby:D At this point it would be a bit beyond me, and I've heard it's pretty expensive to get into? I want to build a small armory first with an extremely accurate gun, a shotgun, and then some older ww2 and earlier era rifles. I'll need to fill my longing for a garand, and m1a first also. Then I feel like crying that I can't buy pistols til im 21, lol. I want to be a cop more than anything I can think of after putting a couple years in the military, so I will have plenty of ability to fill out my firearm desires...lol:D

cletusEX
11-26-2004, 03:55 AM
Unless your going with the 30mm tube, a 50mm objective won't really help you. A 40mm and 1inch tube are plenty for what you need. Most ultra long range shooters use 30mm tubes because you can get more elevation, which you need at 1000+ yards. All of our hunting rifles have vari-x II 3x9x40 and we have taken many deer around 300 yards. I would definitely spend the money on a good set of glass and get the trigger squared away. It doesn't have to be super light but shouldn't have any creep or travel. I have just gotten into handloading and not only is it fun but the groups possible are amazing. www.longrangehunting.com has a lot of good information about long range shooting and hunting. those guys really know their stuff.

hemi operator
11-26-2004, 05:39 AM
I have a Remington 870 Express 12ga with the 18" barrel and 6-round tube (tube extends about 1/4 inch beyond the barrel) with synthetic furniture. I love it. Great deal for about $325-$350. The finish is sort of a black parkerized type. It is pretty tough to scratch. I was placing mine in my safe once next to an AK-47 (Romanian SAR-1) and the charging "handle" of the AK hit the receiver of the 870. From the sickening sound it made I was sure I had just gouged a nice scrape in the side of my new 870 but there wasn't a scratch on it. My best friend has a Mossberg 590-A1 that is just like the U.S. military uses (they use 870's too) and it's awesome. It has a 20" barrel and holds one more shot than the 18" 870. It also has the ghost ring sights, which you need to go aftermarket for the 870 if you want them. The cycle action is shorter on the 870 which is why I went with it over the 590. My arms aren't that lond and when I try to shoot and pump the 590 fast, I sometimes get "crossed up" and try to pull the trigger before the action is closed all the way.

What I have heard though is hunters working very wet areas have noticed rust developing easily inside the bore and on any bare metal where they may have scratched.

As far as the Springfield Armory M-1A's yes they are beautiful, shoot extremely well, and have a military history that draws me to them big time. Check out BattleRifles.com (www.battlerifles.com) for info on them. Many people complain that recent manufacture M-1A's have taken a turn for the worse in the quality department. As useful old US GI parts have dried up from the original M-14 castings and forgings they have had to make more and more parts from scratch, and I guess sometime within the last 5 years or so they changed their processes to some degree, and it has resulted in some inferior parts.

You could also look into an AR-15 based long range shooter. There are more parts than you can shake a stick at for them to configure any way you want. There are barrel lenghths up to 24" and many match-grade parts to build more of a tack-driver than any semi-auto has business being. They are really showing well and gaining popularity at the big military competitions and other national events. Then of course, with the turn of one screw or pop of one push-pin you can throw a 16" or M-4 style upper on there and have one hell of a cool, fun short range plinker.

Tommy 17
11-26-2004, 09:54 AM
heres my reminton 700 sniper rifle...

calibar is a 22-250 its a vssf model i believe its been awhile... its just my play around gun now since me and my dad ordered a new custom rifle...

the only problem with my long range rifles is we use 2oz triggers... the wind can set the guns off so i can't hunt with them... the are ment for the bench only...

my dad is gettin unreal into this long range stuff... he travels to all the big shoots and i went with him 2 one (super shoot in ohio)... its pretty cool to watch... he spends more time at his reloading bench then anything else...

for a scope we use a weaver 36x... we used a leupold but had tracking problems with it... when we'd click up to our 500 and 1000 yd clicks and go back to our 100 it woudln't go back to the 100... it would be a few clicks off so we got rid of it.. our new 6.5x284 will have a leupold on it thou...

gyt-r450
11-26-2004, 09:59 AM
i love my 22-250 its very fun to shot>and i shot my frist deer with it:macho

Tommy 17
11-26-2004, 10:04 AM
o pappy i thought i'd tell u about the hunt i'm goin on this spring...

i'm goin on a prarie dog hunt in north dakota and south dakota... i gotta buy a cheap savage rifle that i can shoot the barrel out of and i just ordered 7,000 22-250 rounds:eek2: we plan on going out and hunting prarie dogs for a week... me and my cousin... should end up shooting a few hundred or thousand of them... we are gonna go with my one friend who we shoot with and he says on average he'll shoot 1000 - 1500 shots a day:D :D

Martin Blair
11-26-2004, 11:43 AM
ever think of getting a HBAR colt ar15?

My uncle has the hbar match grade competition shotter its extrmely acurate. I am not 18 yet so technically its my dads but I just bought a olympic arms AR-15 kit, bascially a ar-15 clone. You have to assemble it but they alredy assemble and testfire the upper reciver unit the standard kit is $450 and you can get tons of upgrades barrels, flat-top, ect.

Martin Blair
11-26-2004, 11:48 AM
I definately want it in mil-dot. I was just reading the other night on how the mil-dot works and was pretty excited about the ability to sight in distances based on just that. I'm really hoping to find a range over 300 yards here so I have a reason to set it up with for longer distances. Otherwise I'm just overscoping for the distances I'll be shooting just like you said.

The sks is great fun for shooting all day, but I certainly don't expect anything more than hitting man sized targets at 200 yards, simply wasn't designed to do it.

As far as mildot goes i like the bushnell holo sights there sweet, but you could go with the Trijicon ACOG's if you can spen 1000-1500 bucks.

pikey21
11-26-2004, 12:46 PM
bye the s&w 500 it will rock your world:eek2:
ba boooom

cletusEX
11-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
when we'd click up to our 500 and 1000 yd clicks and go back to our 100 it woudln't go back to the 100... it would be a few clicks off so we got rid of it.. our new 6.5x284 will have a leupold on it thou...

How far does that little .22 bullet drift in the wind at 1000 yards? Most of the people I've talked to that shoot at that distance use .30 calibers.

SixthFloorFreak
11-28-2004, 09:51 PM
have any of you big time target shooters ever heard of Unertl scopes? my dad used to use them on some custom rifles he had in the 80's and was wondering if they are still around and popular. his cousin still has one of the rifles and the scope is the sickest thing i've ever seen. you can grab the rear end of the scope and move it and it always goes back into place...an external adjustment of sorts. not sure what the specs were on it, but you could see forever with it :eek2:

310Rduner
11-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
have any of you big time target shooters ever heard of Unertl scopes? my dad used to use them on some custom rifles he had in the 80's and was wondering if they are still around and popular. his cousin still has one of the rifles and the scope is the sickest thing i've ever seen. you can grab the rear end of the scope and move it and it always goes back into place...an external adjustment of sorts. not sure what the specs were on it, but you could see forever with it :eek2:

That's the scope the USMC has used for like 40 odd years, Carlos Hathcock used that scoped I believe. I was just reading that Unertl has finally started publicly selling their scope.

SixthFloorFreak
11-28-2004, 10:20 PM
That's the scope the USMC has used for like 40 odd years, Carlos Hathcock used that scoped I believe. I was just reading that Unertl has finally started publicly selling their scope.

were their scopes, at some point, available to the public? if not, makes me wonder how he got ahold of them...nevertheless, they are frickin hardcore.

oldsandman
11-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Unertl scopes have been sold to the public since the '30's I believe. They were always big in target shooting circles. John Sr. passed away then John Jr. ran the co. until he passed in the '80's after that his wife ran it for a while then sold the company. The USMC used them in Korea through Viet Nam because they were pretty bullit proof and had very good optics compared to most scopes of the time. I have a 12x Unertl that I use on a .218 bee built on an Enfield jr. action for small critters.

Oh and about the gun go with the M1A while you can still buy one in California. They are extremly acurate for a semi auto. I have an M1A and a couple of Rem M700's for long distance shooting the 700's will do the job futher out.

Tommy 17
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by cletusEX
How far does that little .22 bullet drift in the wind at 1000 yards? Most of the people I've talked to that shoot at that distance use .30 calibers.

the problem we are having with our 22-250 isn't the wind its the bullet loosing so much speed that it actually starts to tumble threw the air... when u watch it threw our spotting scope u can actually see the waves coming off it when it starts to tumble...

its not very good out that far thats why we ordered the new 6.5x284:devil:

rhoadsM125450
12-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Which models do you have? I'm probably looking for about $400-600 (willing to go more though) and the vx-3's seem to be right in that range. My impressions are that 50mm objective would be better to let more light in and be more crisp at distance, and 3.5-10 for distance. I've researched how optics work before so I have a basic understanding of sizing and such. I'll be spending my time mostly from 100yards, to 300yards. I'm looking for facilities with longer distances close by but it's not looking to good.

if your lookin for a far seeing scope and it was not that much $300...i have a 6-24x50 Swift scope and it never fogged up or nothing...ive always used leupold too but i bought a Browning a-bolt II 300 win mag and i decided to try that scope out cause all my friends was talkin about it and so i bought it and now i love it....

hondardr4life
12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
For a handgun, the S&W 500 is awesome. It makes the 44 in Dirty Harry look like a cap gun:eek2: . As for a shotgun, I like my Browning gold 3 1/2. Its a semi-auto, and man, when you load that thing up with three 3 and 1/2 inch magnums it will blow things to pieces.