PDA

View Full Version : 400ex throttle on 250r

YFZ420
11-25-2004, 11:56 AM
So I just got my 250 back togher after purchasing it in boxes and I am having a hard time finding the correct throttle cable for this setup. Anyone running a 400ex throttle on their 250r, if so what cable did you use?

Pappy
11-25-2004, 12:11 PM
from what ive seen, the 400ex housing will not allow full opening of the throttle unless its notched:(

if someone does know of the correct cable to make this work properly i will coy the info into the FAQ section because R throttles are hard to come by

nacs400ex
11-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Im not sure if there is a "correct" cable to use. I am running the 400ex throttle w/ a notch, I find it a little smoother pull. I am also running a motion pro cable, which is specially made for the 38mm airstryker. No problems what so ever.

wilkin250r
11-25-2004, 11:14 PM
The 400EX throttle has a shorter throw than the 250r throttle, so it will only open the carb about 90%. Unfortunately, this is made even worse by the fact that it has slightly different internal structure that leaves too much slack in the cable, and there isn't enough adjustment to take up all the slack. So not only do you have less throw, but part of that is just taking up slack, so you really only get to about 75% open.

The difficulty with the cable is that on the stock 250r carb, the lid of the carb is actually part of the cable, they are one piece. If you have an aftermarket carb with it's own lid, you're fine. But if you're using the stock carb, even if you DID find a cable to work with the 400EX throttle, you still need to hack the lid from a stock cable to fit on your carb.

I don't have an easy fix. I ended up doctoring the cable, but I have access to certain equipment that makes it possible. I don't recommend this fix for everybody.

markk
11-25-2004, 11:43 PM
I dont know if this will work or not, But i have the throttle housing from a 86 350x would that work for an R??

YFZ420
11-26-2004, 06:42 PM
don't have an easy fix. I ended up doctoring the cable, but I have access to certain equipment that makes it possible. I don't recommend this fix for everybody.

I am currently working on getting a cable for this particular application. It does look like it could work it the throttle assembaly is notched. Come to find out one of my friends used to make custom cabels a long time ago, so we are going to get one made up tonight.

deathman53
11-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a 400ex throttle on my r and it opens the carb all the way, I cut a bit out and tightened adjuster down to very little play. I can't stand the 250r's throttle, its extremely stiff. I have the cable for the 38 a/s too as I have a 38 a/s

joedirt
11-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Grind that notch out on the 400ex housing. You can run your current cable. you might have to grind down the arm that the cable hooks too just a little though. I've been running this set up for 2 yrs. no problems. Super smooth set up and cheaper too. You might have to push the throttle a little bit further