PDA

View Full Version : Is a k+n filter actually better than foam?

1stR
11-25-2004, 10:46 AM
With the mods listed in my sig, am I restricting power at all by running a Moose foam filter as opposed to a k+n filter? I have always thought that foam provided better dust protection than the k+n. What are you suggestions?

BOONE450R
11-25-2004, 11:04 AM
yes you are restricting power with the foam, but you are also catching more dirt. foam will trap smaller microns of dust then the K&N. its a give or take thing.;)

ZRider400
11-25-2004, 12:02 PM
you rnot gunna feel much of a power increase using a k/n over foam. just stick with foam and protect your motor a little more:D

JTRtrx250r
11-26-2004, 04:13 AM
I ran K&N's for yrs...even w/ the pre-filters and wraps, now I save a few bux and run a foam Uni, noticed no power diffrence w/ my R and ALOT less partical matter in my air-boot

If you race TT/ Flattrack ...a K&N is good, but anywhere else I say foam

1stR
11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I think I will stick with foam then since I just spent $1,500 on the motor!

robyone
12-03-2004, 09:22 AM
I just switched to a foam filter too, I like it alot better. it repells water way better than the k/n

beerock
12-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I have some issues with foam filters:grr: I switched to uni filters and all of a sudden i started getting fine dust particles in my intake:rolleyes: I wasnt to happy, i ran them a couple more itmes thinking it was the dirt on the outside falling in. well, it happened a couple times.. sooooooo when i went to glamis i switched back to k&n and outer wears....

in my opinion, if you want a really good setup go with a k&n with outer wears and a outerwears cover for the lid. One step further would be to get a piece of that uni flat foam, oil that up and make it so it can be attached to the top of your lid. that way your running foam and a k&n.:eek:

another thing, I heard curtis sparks makes a foam outer wear for k&n filters, thats both worlds too.

for me, im running a k&n no lid and a outer wears.

JTRtrx250r
12-05-2004, 12:17 PM
The good thing about K&N's is they are easy to get to seal, w/ a foam Uni..ya gotta be sure and grease the sealing-lip good and hope it creates a seal 1/2 as good as a K&N:D

beak7707
12-09-2004, 11:24 AM
I would stick with the foam filter.

markk
12-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Foam is the only way to go, When i rebuilt my motor i had a K&N and the first day it was dusty, I went to clean my filter later that night, and DIRT all over my intake boot!, I trashed my K&N and bought a UNI, and i wouldnt ever go back!!!

FOAM FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!

Rich250RRacer
12-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Foam is the way to go. Anybody who gets dirt in the air boot is not using enough oil. Foam filters are much easier to clean in a pinch, and can be used right away. Waiting for a K&N to dry just sucks. Stay away from No-toil filters, they don't have a groove for the lip on the air box to lock into, and it makes them more likely to slip off. Also DO NOT tighten the clamp too tight, it will cause the mounting flange to colapse and will let dirt in.

JTRtrx250r
12-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Foam is the way to go. Anybody who gets dirt in the air boot is not using enough oil. Foam filters are much easier to clean in a pinch, and can be used right away. Waiting for a K&N to dry just sucks. Stay away from No-toil filters, they don't have a groove for the lip on the air box to lock into, and it makes them more likely to slip off. Also DO NOT tighten the clamp too tight, it will cause the mounting flange to colapse and will let dirt in. Im w/ this dude,

I use that FFT filter oil...seems to repell water pretty good

And if you dont have airbox rings...get them! They do work and will help keep from collapsing the filter/intake boot mounts

250rpilot
12-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
And if you dont have airbox rings...get them! They do work and will help keep from collapsing the filter/intake boot mounts

i agree!! the best 20 bucks i ever spent!

LTZ400rider
12-16-2004, 05:52 PM
i agree with the foam. everyone else usually says k&n. well the good thing about 250R kn filters, they are huge which means more surface area. i would probaly just use the foam

wilkin250r
12-16-2004, 07:05 PM
I think proper oil is the key, whether foam or K&N.

It's really easy to oil a foam filter. You spray the oil on much like spray paint. That strategy doesn't work with K&N, you need to specifically spray to the bottom of each groove. I believe this is the true reason people find dust in their intake when running K&N filters. The area of the filter that is hardest to oil is where most of the air passes through.

I've run some god-awful dusty trails in the dry Nevada heat, even very fine clay dust. I'm usually trailing, so I'm getting lots of airborn dust, and I have never seen any dust in my intake, and I've run K&N for years. With no air box.

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2004, 09:24 PM
K&N's are great filters, and I agree w/ the oiling, my biggest prob w/ them is after 2-3 washes(bottem/top of pleats are a PITA to get clean w/o poking holes)and look thru the bottem ...inside, you can see light where the element has a tendency to shrink, sometimes the holes that develope are big enough to let sand pass thru, the foam has a chance to get caught up in the filter, I have both the filter oil and the cleaner for K&N's and it definitly helps, an Outerware or prefilter help catch the big stuff, but the fine stuff can really pack up

I like both but here in the wet/mud the foam seems better, Uni filters are also cheap, :) I still run K&N's of a few of my toys, cleaning both styles of filters are still pretty much the same, ....about as much as getting them dirty:D

marksuttonjr
12-18-2004, 10:25 AM
A foam filter will flow more air than your quad can use. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but it is a simple fact that if they would just use their head a little instead of listening to advertisments they would know.

Also it is IMPOSSIBLE to oil a K&N filter enough to stop as much dirt as a foam filter stops. You could dip it in the filter oil and it still would not be oily enough to stop that much dirt. If you think that you absolutly have to run a K&N. you need to run an outerwear, and cover all openings to the airbow with outerwear type material to stop nearly the dirt that foam stops.

LTZ400rider
12-18-2004, 02:43 PM
the only downside to foam filters, the oil is such a mess.