PDA

View Full Version : Nuts on rear axle hubs keep loosening??

1stR
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
One of my rear hubs keep loosening no matter how tight I make it. I tighten it, insert a new cotter pin, and after a ride or two the hub has a little bit of "rotational play" in it. Could it be that the inside teeth on the hub are worn creating play between the hub and axle? Or could it have something to do with the axle or carrier itself?

44oEX
11-25-2004, 11:05 AM
try putting some grease on the threads on the axle then put the nut on. Torque it down to the honda specs ( I don't know if of hand ) and then put a new pin and see how that works.

Tom TRX250R
11-26-2004, 12:26 AM
I had the same problem after rebuilding my R and the solution was to tighten it with a cheater bar to the next spot on castle nut until you can stick cotter pin in it. After that it hasn't came loose since!! The stock honda specs for tightening it didn't hold!!! Probably too much horsepower to the rear wheels:devil: !!!!!

JTRtrx250r
11-26-2004, 04:07 AM
its pretty common and part of my maintainence to double check it,
but other than that...Im w/ my bro Tom, I did the same as he suggested and have no probs, just be sure the splines and nut threads are greased like 440 said, between these 2 dudes...they gotcha covered:)

1stR
11-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Sounds good! I don't have a socket to fit that size nut, can I use a "monkey type" wrench or will only a socket work? Also, the nut is kind of chewed up on the threads, do most honds dealers carry those, or are they not a common honda part?

44oEX
11-26-2004, 06:47 PM
they probably have to order it but they can get it in no time.

zedicus00
11-26-2004, 07:27 PM
also how r the threads on the end of the axle? it may be jumpin threads when u get to ridin on it. nd definatly invest in a good socket and ratchet for atleast a closed box end wrench for that thing.

kyex40047
11-27-2004, 05:58 PM
You can go to a local hardware store that has metric nuts and bolts and they will probly have it. As for tighting it, I use and air impac and put it on as tight as I can. It holds for a while then will start to loosen up agian, I was told that it is a common problem and you really can't fix it.

meangreen400ex
11-27-2004, 06:04 PM
I know how to fix it... put a crap load of extra strength thread locker on it and tighten the shiiioot outta it

kyex40047
11-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Tried it. Held alittle bit longer but still came loose.

zedicus00
11-27-2004, 09:04 PM
dang guys a good castle nut with cotter pin, and dont over tighten it, mines never come loose, mines never even backed out againts the cotter pin? make sure u didnt ruin the threads.

JTRtrx250r
11-27-2004, 10:35 PM
If its tight..and you go 1 more notch...w/the right size cotterpin installed correctly...it'll work unless its already been neglected and hammerd, you still wanna be able to get if off

Is it a stock castle-nut/stock axle?

kyex40047
11-28-2004, 09:02 PM
I have an RPM axle.

JTRtrx250r
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
I dont have an RPM but its maybe possible it could be the threads or splines on the axle(seems some have more play than others w/ aftermarket axles) but Im beginning to thing it might be worn/tired splines on the hub

I actually have an old stock 87 axle and hubs that I got in a pile of parts and 1 of the hubs has a thin washer(more like a shim), w/o it ..the nut locks down b4 the hub tightens all the way, it does seem to work...(how/ why Im not sure of, something got worn down) so maybe you can try that as a last attempt

Good luck w/ it

kyex40047
11-29-2004, 09:21 PM
I think that it is the splines on my hub that are going bad.

1stR
12-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Has anyone found one of these at a hardware store such as NAPA etc? Is locktite of any help?

kwatts400
12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
I put a small rubber washer in between the hub and the axle nut. It seems to be working well so far.

beerock
12-06-2004, 07:58 PM
A washer will work, but ultimately it will come loose.

I have a dominator axle and the same thing happens. thats why there are cotter pins there. i think the dominator axle nut is 32mm
I let the cotter pins do there job and keep the nut on the axle, it does help to get it tight and then get the cotter pin on, but, like i said it will come loose ultimately..

PLEASE DO NOT USE A MONKEY WRENCH ON IT

YUCK!!!!!:o

250rpilot
12-06-2004, 08:04 PM
most likely when yuo put your new axle on, your hubs were worn. and since you ran it with worn hubs, your axle splines wore. now the only way to fix it is to buy new hubs AND a new axle. trust me, ive been there. the only band aid i have come up with is to tighten the hell out of the hubs with an impact gun, but they will eventually loosen up again.

what happens is, with the rotation of the hubs, the mating surfaces actually wear, seeming like the hubs are loosening, when really they are wearing. if your splines were tight, and your hubs were tight, they would never have come loose to begin with.

this is something that should be checked before/after every ride. keep them thight and they will last forever!! maintenence is key!!