PDA

View Full Version : A question for pappy about powder coating

WhiteBros400ex
11-24-2004, 09:24 PM
If i take my quad to burgard can u strip it done and powder coat it for me and how much would that be or do i have to do it my self.Because i would rather have you do it so i dont mess anything up taking it apart.Just let me know some prices id like it painted like a solid black.LIke let me know the price with me takign it apart and u takign it apart and the total for gettign painted and everything, thanks.

Pappy
11-24-2004, 09:29 PM
for us to disassemble the entire quad and pc every part imaginable etc it would be around $1000. that would include gusset work and full treatment and some small parts that always end up needing replaced.

if its just the frame and a tear down, no gusseting then your looking at about $500.

tearing it down and reassembly can take some time and my mechanic aint cheap:p i geuss its not bad when you figure its normally $175 for just the coating.

derekhonda
11-24-2004, 09:33 PM
thats actually a pretty good deal. BUT if i were you, do it yourself. Its a very time consuming and teadious procedure, but in the end, you get a lot out of it. There are many tips and tricks to the procedure if you decide to do it i can let you in on the secrets. :blah:

stupid driver
11-24-2004, 09:34 PM
While were on the subject Pappy, could you tell me how to get the stearing stem bearing out of the frame? The frame is ready to ship other than that.

Pappy
11-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
thats actually a pretty good deal. BUT if i were you, do it yourself. Its a very time consuming and teadious procedure, but in the end, you get a lot out of it. There are many tips and tricks to the procedure if you decide to do it i can let you in on the secrets. :blah:

i agree...

but there are some folks that do not have the time or equipment required. all of us are willing to help if you decide to do it yourself!

Pappy
11-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by stupid driver
While were on the subject Pappy, could you tell me how to get the stearing stem bearing out of the frame? The frame is ready to ship other than that.

remove the 2 seals, take out the cir-clip, turn the frame upside down and knock out the bearing. if you cant or dont want to mess with it, remove the seals and send it. ill take it out and re install it

stupid driver
11-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Tip 1: get many plastic baggies and a sharpy marker to label bolts and other small items.

Tip 2: Patience

Tip 3: Get a manual

Quad18star
11-24-2004, 09:49 PM
The day I strip my 450 down , is the day it'll never be seen running again . As much as I love wrenching , I know the darn thing would sit in a box for the next 10 years . Ask me to tear down and reassemble someone elses quad , and I have no problems .

Pappy ... you outta start a Canadian powdercoating business . :blah:

Pappy
11-24-2004, 09:52 PM
lol..i have enough here:p

taking the quad down for just pc of the frame isnt bad. its a 100% tear down that can get time consuming. and then add in the fact that most of the aftermarket parts used were disassembled, prepped, pc'd or chromed and reassembled:p

i only came up missing 1 small bracket:D

WhiteBros400ex
11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i agree...

but there are some folks that do not have the time or equipment required. all of us are willing to help if you decide to do it yourself!

Thanks well i dont got that much money so i think imm strip it down my self, if i need any help ill let u know i did it one my 400ex so i should be able to do it.SO as soon as i get it done ill let u know and send it out to you for powder coating.

Pappy
11-24-2004, 09:55 PM
no prob bud..and dont be afraid to ask for help no matter how stupid you think it is. there are no stupid questions!

JDiablo
11-24-2004, 09:58 PM
lol..i have enough here:p

taking the quad down for just pc of the frame isnt bad. its a 100% tear down that can get time consuming. and then add in the fact that most of the aftermarket parts used were disassembled, prepped, pc'd or chromed and reassembled:p

i only came up missing 1 small bracket:D

when i put my 300 back toghter,i had a couple of bolts,and some other pieces left over,they didnt look to important so i just threw them to the side,later do i know one of the bolts was for the steering stem:rolleyes:

JRDrider22
11-25-2004, 09:27 AM
pappy your bike is nutzzz. im going to do the same style yours is on my 450 this winter.very nice!

Mofo Racing
11-25-2004, 06:42 PM
stupid driver While were on the subject Pappy, could you tell me how to get the stearing stem bearing out of the frame? The frame is ready to ship other than that.

do not powdercoat the bearing. I did and it sucks. The powdercoating shop I have around here stinks. One day I'll take some pics of my frame for you guys. It chiped the first day I had it. It has spider cracks all in it. when I tighten the bolts down on the frame it chips the pc under the head of the bolt. I was soooooo pi$$ed. I should have shipped it to pappy because the local shop charged me $250 and did a hack job.

WhiteBros400ex
11-25-2004, 07:27 PM
no prob bud..and dont be afraid to ask for help no matter how stupid you think it is. there are no stupid questions!

Yea im gonna start tearing it down do you think in about 2 mayb 3 weeks at the most u could do it for me.Im gonna get it a black so how much for just a plane black.Thanks again and dont worry ill ask no matter how dumb it is:D

What is the price to powder coat and gueested(sp)and the price to just powder coat.BTW color is black lol

Pappy
11-25-2004, 07:50 PM
just pc ..solid color $150

add gussets $350 total

yamahonda
11-26-2004, 10:21 AM
how much to powder some extended a arms???

Pappy
11-26-2004, 11:38 AM
a arms are $65 for the set