PDA

View Full Version : 6 hunters die...

bulkdriverlp
11-24-2004, 09:01 PM
in wisconsin, they got into an argument about a tree stand with a guy of korean discent. supposedly one of the 6 yelled racial slurs to the korean so the korean opened fire with a korean military rifle with a 26 round clip. 5 died at the scene and 1 died in the hospital. this pisses me off why do people have to argue like that over a tree stand???

r.i.p. hunters

stupid driver
11-24-2004, 09:21 PM
This guy is a freeking psycho. I heard about that on Monday, and i could not even believe my ears. The hunters argue over a treestand, and 6 people lose their lives. What was this guy thinking? And among the dead: a father and son, and a girl. The girls father was critical last i heard. This man obviously has no respect for human life, regardless of what "racial slurs" were said. If he wants the damn treestand so bad, I say we give it to him..... then surround the tree and shoot him a few times; see how he likes it

Honda4trax250x
11-24-2004, 09:23 PM
what an idiot

depraved indifference to human life? i think so

Martin Blair
11-24-2004, 09:23 PM
no disrespect but why didnt they shoot back?

tp300ex
11-24-2004, 09:24 PM
it was realy my stand:rolleyes: ...

j/k thats realy stupid to fight over a deer stand:scary:

JUSTINcredible
11-25-2004, 01:50 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132273

I posted this the other day.

what happend was that this guy was lost and mistakenly was trespassing. the landowners seen him and asked him to leave. He came back and started popping ppl off one by one. most of the people shot didnt even have guns with them to fire back. others were on ATVs going into the woods to help one of the injured ones and were completly defensless when they were shot. this guy has a violent record in St. Paul including putting a gun to his wifes head and also broken game laws in Minnesota like nearly 100 crappies or so over the limit. I hope this guy burns in hell:grr:

derekhonda
11-25-2004, 03:41 AM
i think that out of the 10 people or so he was shooting only one had a gun

devildriver422
11-25-2004, 07:43 AM
thats such bs i mean really why not jsut leave how many stands are there around that you can get to just as easily

Shawn H
11-25-2004, 08:01 AM
This was just released yesterday and this guy is now a suspect in a shootong that killed a man in 2001. The suspects were 3 asian men in a gray Nissan. The same guy that shot all these guys this year owns a gray nissan and was a registered deer hunter in 2001.:mad:

Also this guy reversed his blaze orange to the camo side of his jacket removed his scope and was using his open sites.

If anyone knows or hunts ya know its easier to hit a running object with iron sites then locate them in a scope. To me that means its premeditated he thought about it this was not a reflex of someone shooting at you first. He is also calling racial which makes me mad it seems like they always do that>

I have relatives that know's these family's from its just shame:(

Tommy 17
11-25-2004, 08:52 AM
i've kicked hunters out of my stand and my property all the time... kinda freaks me out bc some of them give me an attitude but hey i'm the one payin for the land they aren't... kinda gonna make me think twice about kickin someone out out so i don't get shot...

Greg Z
11-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i've kicked hunters out of my stand and my property all the time... kinda freaks me out bc some of them give me an attitude but hey i'm the one payin for the land they aren't... kinda gonna make me think twice about kickin someone out out so i don't get shot... I was just hunting the other day up in New Berlin/ Onienta upstate NY and I was hutning in this one spot and there was this hunter tres passing and he shot this deer about 100 yards away from me i was scared ****less.. yeah it wasnt my property it was my friends property that GAVE me permission to go on.. anyways.. My friend came up to see if that was me if i got the deer I said no he saw the guy leaving his property in the bronco he found the guy couple hours later they were 10 people on his 200 acer property and he got the ranger and the ranger got them out... and the ranger found alot of deer in the back of there trucks and by there house... for **** sakes they were killing more then 1 deer in the woods on some one elses property.. And they were killing doe as well... and im sure some of them didnt even have there hunting licence

hunting is suppose to be fun ... you really shouldnt be worried about getting killed in the woods...

pikey21
11-25-2004, 05:19 PM
in wisconsin, they got into an argument about a tree stand with a guy of korean discent. supposedly one of the 6 yelled racial slurs to the korean so the korean opened fire with a korean military rifle with a 26 round clip. 5 died at the scene and 1 died in the hospital. this pisses me off why do people have to argue like that over a tree stand???

what i heard was after she racial slurs the man went home changed into camo grabed his sks assalt rifel and went back out but thats what i hurd :ermm:

dose eney one know for shure what happend :confused:

stupid driver
11-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by pikey21
what i heard was after she racial slurs the man went home changed into camo grabed his sks assalt rifel and went back out but thats what i hurd :ermm:

dose eney one know for shure what happend :confused:

All of the reports that i have read or listened to said: Two hunters approached the man, wrote down the number that was on his back, and proceeded in telling the man that he was on private property and he needed to leave. He got out of the tree stand, and walked about twenty yards; he then took off the scope on his rifle and opened fire. Other hunters, hearing the cries for help, ran to the scene where they were met by bullets. The man then left the scene, and would have probably gotten away had he taken off his number; the two hunters had written his number down on fender of their four-wheeler.

bman9
11-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i've kicked hunters out of my stand and my property all the time... kinda freaks me out bc some of them give me an attitude but hey i'm the one payin for the land they aren't... kinda gonna make me think twice about kickin someone out out so i don't get shot...

but this was on private property and he did this... crazy

bman9
11-25-2004, 07:09 PM
heres something from the paper, ill try finding the breaking news one when it happend.

Cops try to unravel hunting massacre
A 6th person dies from wounds suffered in a horrific shooting spree among deer hunters in the Wisconsin woods. Some say a clash of cultures triggered the incident.

By Ted Gregory, John McCormick and Glenn Jeffers
Tribune staff reporters

Published November 23, 2004

HAYWARD, Wis. -- Even before the deadly shooting rampage began, a hunter had taken note of the license number on the back of Chai Vang's blaze-orange jacket, a detail he scribbled on some dust that covered one of their all-terrain vehicles.

Although the hunters planned to use it as part of a trespassing complaint, the number ultimately helped authorities identify Vang, 36, of St. Paul, as the suspect in a shooting spree Sunday afternoon in Wisconsin's north woods.

On the opening weekend of the deer-hunting season, the shootings left six hunters dead--five died Sunday and a sixth was pronounced dead Monday.

The incident also raised fears of increased cultural clashes between Hmong and other hunters, tensions that have simmered in Wisconsin and Minnesota for years.

In their first formal account of the incident, authorities said Monday that Vang, who received military training in his homeland of Laos, fired about 20 rounds at the hunters from his semiautomatic SKS military-style rifle, even knocking two from their all-terrain vehicles as they approached the scene.

Vang had not been charged Monday. He is set to appear before a judge Tuesday for a probable-cause hearing.

The six people killed were part of a group of more than a dozen hunters staying in lodges on wooded property near the town of Meteor in northwest Wisconsin. The gathering was an annual tradition that marked the opening weekend of Wisconsin's deer-hunting season.

On Sunday afternoon, two or three men from the group spotted a man in their hunting platform up in a tree.

Vang, who was apparently lost and separated from his own hunting party, had wandered onto a 400-acre tract of private land. While the land is clearly marked as private, it is surrounded by public land.

After the hunters told Vang to leave, he descended from the tree. Authorities said he walked about 40 yards away, removed the scope from his rifle and began firing.

Sawyer County Sheriff James Meier said there is evidence that Vang, a naturalized citizen, was "moving around" as he stalked his victims.

"I can only assume by the location of the bodies and the type of woods they were in, that he would have had to be moving around in order to inflict that kind of damage on that many people," Meier said.

Authorities say they continued to assemble evidence to determine what occurred during the shooting. But gaps remain about what transpired on the remote land set amid a mature forest, rolling hills and scattered streams.

Meier said shots were exchanged between Vang and the other hunters. But it remains unclear whether Vang had been provoked in any way.

"Whether or not words were said, nothing justifies what the response has been here," said Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, who attended a news conference here and met with family members of the victims.

5 victims from area

Five victims were from the Rice Lake, Wis., area, where the mood Monday was both mournful and devastated.

"A lot of hunters' morale around here is really low," said Jay Koenig, 40, an avid deer hunter from Rice Lake. "They don't really feel the joyous time that the hunting season is around here."

Authorities identified the dead as Robert Crotteau, 42, and his son, Joey, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; and Jessica Willers, 27.

A sixth person died Monday, but authorities had not released his name. Two additional hunters, including Jessica Willers' father, Terry Willers, remained hospitalized Monday.

"It's just surreal," said Linda Levan, the sister of Al Laski. "It's a tragedy that all these individuals are faced with. It's pure tragedy."

Authorities said the first three victims were apparently taken by surprise and the five others were hit as they came to help. They described Vang, who reportedly asked a pair of hunters for a ride out of the woods after the alleged shooting, as "extremely calm" when he was arrested without resistance about 5:30 p.m. Sunday, roughly five hours after the shootings.

"I just don't think any of this makes sense," Meier said. "The demeanor makes no sense. The action makes no sense."

Radio stations in the Twin Cities crackled with callers on Monday who suggested the shootings might stem from cultural differences between Hmong and white hunters.

There are roughly 74,000 Hmong residents in Wisconsin and Minnesota, according to the 2000 census. The two states have been key destinations for the Hmong since the mid-1970s, when local churches and social organizations sponsored them after they fled their homeland of Laos.

The Hmong assisted the U.S. during the Vietnam War era and were persecuted for their actions. Many fled to neighboring Thailand, then waited for a chance to get to the U.S.

Hmong communities have continued to grow in St. Paul and Minneapolis, as well as the Wisconsin communities of Eau Claire, Wausau and Green Bay.

Complaints not unusual

Hunting complaints between the two cultures are nothing new. Hmong hunters routinely report being harassed by white hunters, while both Minnesota and Wisconsin have Hmong conservation officers who work to improve the population's understanding of hunting and fishing regulations.

Hunting and fishing was an integral but unregulated part of life for many Hmong in Laos.

Complaints have been made that the former refugees, who often can't read English or their native language, sometimes fail to comply with hunting regulations and wildlife management practices.

Hmong outdoorsman have been accused of hunting without a license and filling car trunks full of dozens more fish than allowed within legal limits.

Hmong hunters, meanwhile, say they are often the targets of harassment by whites, who sometimes suggest the Hmong shouldn't compete for hunting land.

"There are a lot of stories of harassment," said Lee Pao Xiong of the Center for Hmong Studies at Concordia University in St. Paul.

Xiong said Hmong leaders gathered in St. Paul on Monday to discuss the potential for backlash against their community. The group is planning a news conference Tuesday morning.

"We don't know what really happened," Xiong said. "We need to suspend all judgment until there is clear evidence of what happened."

Xiong said he was harassed a few years ago while hunting for squirrels in Minnesota. He said a group of teenagers drove up to his camp in two cars and started making harassing comments, including suggesting that Hmong were there to hunt family cats and dogs.

"We've gone hunting and been harassed by groups in the woods while hunting legally," he said. "You can easily feel threatened."

License received

Mike Bartz, a regional warden for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, said Vang had received a deer hunting license in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2004. There were no hunting violations on Vang's record.

Bartz downplayed suggestions that cultural differences may have played a role in the shooting.

"I'm sure there are some tensions there, just like there are between any two groups," he said. "But this is an individual act."

Relatives told the Associated Press that Vang was a father of six and had once served with the U.S. Army.

"Maybe something provoked him or something," said his brother, Sang. "He is a reasonable person. I still don't believe it. He is one of the nicest persons. I don't believe he could do that. We are so devastated right now."

Relatives of the victims struggled to cope with their loss.

"We're still in shock," said Mark Roidt's sister, Heather. "It's hard to comprehend."

Mark Roidt worked for Burnell's Decor in Rice Lake installing wood flooring. He hunted with his father every Thanksgiving while growing up in Waterford, Wis., his sister said.

Vang had been arrested once before, on Christmas Eve 2001 in Minneapolis, after brandishing a gun and telling his wife he was going to kill her, said Ron Reier, a spokesman for the Minneapolis Police Department.

He was arrested on a felony complaint of domestic assault, Reier said. After being held for at least 36 hours in that incident, Reier said Vang was released after his wife declined to cooperate with authorities.

bman9
11-25-2004, 07:10 PM
more i found

Sheriff probes link between hunter, unsolved killing

By Robert Imrie
The Associated Press

Published November 24, 2004, 6:14 PM EST

HAYWARD, Wis. -- Investigators were probing a possible link between the man suspected of killing six deer hunters in northern Wisconsin this week and the unsolved murder of a hunter three years ago.

Clark County Sheriff Louis Rosandich said Wednesday his department immediately notified Sawyer County officials after learning the man suspected in a shooting rampage there Sunday was similar to the description of a person of interest in the 2001 death in his county.

"We're hoping that the information they gain may help us in solving our case,'' Rosandich said. "It does certainly perk our interest, but it is too premature to make any determination as to a link to the Clark County incident of 2001.''

Jim Southworth, 37, of Medford, was shot to death Nov. 23, 2001, as he hunted alone on family land 10 miles east of Neillsville. Investigators turned up a few leads initially but soon hit a dead end, Rosandich said.

State Department of Natural Resources officials on Wednesday were tracing deer tags from 2001 to see whether Chai Vang, the suspect in Sunday's shootings, reported bagging any deer in Clark County in 2001.

DNR records show Vang had a Wisconsin hunting license in 2001, said Mike Bartz, warden for the state's northern region.

Vang, 36, of St. Paul, Minn., is being held on $2.5 million bond after six hunters were shot to death and two injured Sunday. The state attorney general said charges were expected Monday at the earliest.

Killed were Robert Crotteau, 42; his son Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; Jessica Willers, 27; and Denny Drew, 55, all from the Rice Lake area.

In the Southworth murder, hunters in the area reported seeing a pickup truck with three Asian men in it in the area where his body was found, about 80 miles from Sunday's shootings, Rosandich said.

The three men were described as from 5-foot-4 inches to 6-feet tall, driving a silver or gray Nissan or Chevrolet pickup truck, possibly a late 1980s model.

Court records say Vang is 5-foot-4. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported an unnamed online search engine showed Vang has owned a 1987 pickup truck, but Minnesota records do not show any record of Vang owning such a vehicle there, said Susan Lasley, spokeswoman for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Sawyer County Sheriff James Meier said he was unaware of any connection between Sunday's shootings and the Southworth murder.

"None, except for maybe the Asian connection. That is a lot of speculation,'' Meier said.

Vang and one of the shooting survivors said Sunday's dispute started over a tree stand on private property. One of the theories in Southworth's murder was that he may have been shot after confronting a trespasser.

The state Justice Department is involved in both investigations. Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager declined to comment on either case Wednesday.

On Sunday, Daryl Gass said he was the first person to see Vang after the shootout, when he emerged from the woods around 12:30 p.m. wearing a hunting jacket and carrying a rifle.

"He seemed nervous,'' Gass, 41, of New Auburn, told the Leader-Telegram of Eau Claire for a story Wednesday. "There was something peculiar about him.''

Gass said he directed Vang to a busy logging road.

"He said, 'I don't really want to go that way,' `` Gass said. "I thought that was odd.''

Vang told investigators a member of the hunting group shot at him first, but Lauren Hesebeck, one of two hunters wounded in the shootout, said his party returned fire only after Vang shot at them, according to court records.

In Haugen, where three of the victims lived, Jim Hill, 63, the owner of the Village Grocery, said he will never believe the hunting party fired the first shot.

"If those guys would have shot first, Vang would have been dead. He would never have been able to pull the trigger,'' Hill said.

The victims were part of a group of about 15 people who made their annual opening-weekend trip to the 400-acre property.

Vang claims the hunters taunted him with racial slurs and warned they would report him to law enforcement -- which also differs from Hesebeck's account, according to court records.

By Wednesday, hundreds of area residents were sporting small blaze orange ribbons they received after donating to a fund set up for the victims' and survivors' families at Dairy State Bank. Administrative assistant Carolyn Anderson said thousands of dollars had been donated.

Sharon Thrumbel, 61, tied blaze orange ribbons around light poles, street signs and stop signs Wednesday on Main Street in the town of 286 people. She also tied one around the a lamppost at Al Laski's home and planned to do the same at the Crotteaus.

"This symbolizes that we are a community that is very supportive of each other at a time of need,'' she said. "The message is that people should come together more.''
Get home delivery of the Daily Press for less than $3.33 a week.

bman9
11-25-2004, 07:12 PM
more

By ROBERT IMRIE
Associated Press Writer

November 24, 2004, 7:12 PM EST

HAYWARD, Wis. -- The man suspected of shooting six hunters to death and a survivor agree that the tragedy began with a confrontation on private land. But they sharply differ on what happened next.

Survivor Lauren Hesebeck told investigators Chai Vang, 36, of St. Paul, Minn., turned around after a verbal exchange and started shooting his rifle from 40 yards away.

But Vang told Sawyer County investigators he began firing only after one of Hesebeck's hunting buddies, Terry Willers, shot at him with a rifle from about 100 feet away and missed.

Vang, a Hmong immigrant from Laos, also claimed the hunters taunted him with racial slurs and warned him he would be reported to law enforcement for being on private land, according to a document filed Tuesday.

Hesebeck's version, contained in the same statement, makes no mention of that type of language or verbal hostility, other than saying Vang used profanity at one point.

Hesebeck, who was released from a hospital Tuesday after treatment for a shoulder wound, told investigators Willers shot at Vang after Vang fired first but missed.

Both accounts agreed that Vang shot the others as more people from the deer camp arrived at the scene, summoned by Hesebeck using a walkie-talkie to call for help.

Vang said he continued firing as the group scattered, and at one point chased one of the hunters and shot him in the back, only to find the man had no gun, the document states.

Authorities have said there was only one gun among the victims. According to investigators, it's believed Vang fired at least 20 shots.

Hesebeck told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis on Tuesday that much of what he has heard in news media reports about the incident is not accurate.

"A lot of it is not true," he said. "But at this point, I just can't discuss anything." Members of his family and another victim's family had planned to talk with reporters Wednesday but canceled the news conference.

Sunday's shootings occurred after Vang got lost while hunting, climbed into a tree stand on private property and then got into the confrontation with Willers and others hunting with him.

The victims were part of a group of about 15 people who made their annual opening-weekend trip to the 400-acre property co-owned by Robert Crotteau and Willers.

Killed were Crotteau, 42; his son, Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; Jessica Willers, 27; and Denny Drew, 55, all from the Rice Lake area. Terry Willers, Jessica's father, remained hospitalized Wednesday in good condition.

Vang, an immigrant from Laos, was arrested about four hours after the shootings as he emerged from the woods with his empty semiautomatic rifle. Five people died in the woods; a sixth died Monday in a hospital. Two others were wounded.

There have been previous clashes between Southeast Asian and white hunters in the region. Hunters have complained the Hmong do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they want. The tension once led to a fistfight in Minnesota, and a Hmong bow hunter in Wisconsin this fall reported having at least two white hunters point guns at him.

About 24,000 Hmong live in St. Paul, the highest concentration of any U.S. city. Hmong leaders condemned the shootings and offered condolences to victims' families.

"What happened in Wisconsin is in no way representative of the Hmong people and what they stand for," said Cha Vang, no relation to the suspect.

"We stand before you as representatives of the greater law-abiding Hmong community to unconditionally -- unconditionally -- condemn these atrocities."

New details about Vang began to emerge Tuesday.

Military records obtained by The Associated Press show he spent six years in the California National Guard and earned a sharpshooter qualification badge. But his primary role during his time in the Guard, from 1989-95, involved clerical duties.

After his discharge, he spent two more years in the Individual Ready Reserve. His records also include a Good Conduct medal.

Circuit Judge Norman Yackel ordered Vang jailed Tuesday on $2.5 million bail. He ruled that evidence submitted to him was sufficient to hold Vang on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, pending the filing of formal charges

bman9
11-25-2004, 07:14 PM
last one

Suspect: Hunters fired first
But cops say he admits chasing down victims

By Ted Gregory and John McCormick, Tribune staff reporters. Gregory reported from Hayward, Wis., and McCormick reported from Chicago. Tribune staff reporter Glenn Jeffers contributed to this report

Published November 24, 2004

HAYWARD, Wis. -- The St. Paul man accused of killing six deer hunters and wounding two others claims he was called racially derogatory names and fired at before he started shooting, a version of events that contradicts statements from one of the surviving hunters.

Court documents filed Tuesday allege that Chai Soua Vang told authorities he was taunted and shot at, then ran through the woods firing at unarmed people, shooting at least one hunter in the back as he fled. The documents do not, however, directly state that Vang claimed he acted in self-defense when he opened fire in Wisconsin's north woods.

Vang, 36, a Hmong immigrant from Laos and a naturalized U.S. citizen, has not been charged. But documents filed Tuesday by the Sawyer County sheriff's lead investigator led to Vang being held on $2.5 million bail and gave the most detailed account yet of the weekend shootings.

The new information adds to tensions as another busy deer-hunting weekend approaches. Wisconsin conservation officers are closely watching for instances of racial confrontations between Hmong and white hunters.

According to the court documents, the shootings took place after Vang got lost and separated from his own hunting group. He climbed a deer stand--a platform in a tree used for hunting--on private property, leading to a confrontation with the landowners and others in a hunting party staying on the property.

In an interview Monday with sheriff investigator Gary Gillis and FBI Agent Ken Mammoser, Vang said one of the owners of the property told him to leave. Vang said he climbed down out of the tree and began walking away, then heard five or six hunters arrive on all-terrain vehicles.

He said the hunters got off the ATVs and surrounded him, cursing, calling him names and using racial slurs, the documents state.

Among the other hunters, only Terry Willers, 47, was armed, according to the account.

Vang continued walking and, when he was about 100 feet from the group, turned to see Willers point his rifle at him, prompting Vang to crouch, the account said. A bullet struck the ground 30 to 40 feet behind him, Vang told authorities.

Vang, an avid hunter who served in the U.S. Army in 1989, then removed the scope from his rifle and fired two shots at Willers, according to Vang's statement. Willers was hospitalized in fair condition Tuesday.

Willers fell to the ground while the others ran, with Vang pursuing them and continuing to fire, the account said.

After striking five or six of the unarmed men, Vang reportedly told authorities, he heard one of them call for help on a walkie-talkie, then saw three other people arriving on ATVs. Vang reversed the blaze-orange exterior of his coat to its camouflage side and reloaded. He did not shoot, however, because the ATV riders were unarmed, according to the document.

A short time later, he saw another ATV approaching with two people aboard, Vang reportedly told authorities.

He ran. After the ATV sped past, it stopped just ahead of him, Vang recounted. He saw one of the riders unsling a rifle from his shoulder.

Vang then fired three or four shots and both people dropped to the ground, the documents state. Authorities identified them as Allan Laski, 43, of Haugen, Wis., and Jessica Willers, 27, Terry Willer's daughter, who lived near Green Bay.

While leaving the scene, Vang reportedly recalled to authorities, he saw one of the men standing and yelled to him, "You're not dead yet?" then fired at the man, but was unsure whether he struck him.

Gillis, the investigator, said one rifle was found at the scene, near the body of Mark Roidt, 28. The three others killed were Robert Crotteau, 42, and his son, Joey, 20; of Haugen; and Dennis Drew, 55, of Rice Lake, who died Monday night.

Gillis' report on his interview of Lauren Hesebeck, wounded in the shoulder in the attack, presented critical contradictions to Vang's version. Hesebeck said that there was a "verbal exchange" between Vang and five of the hunters after Willers found Vang trespassing, and that the hunters told Vang they were going to report the trespass to authorities.

Hesebeck said Vang walked about 40 yards from the group, removed the scope from his rifle, turned and started shooting. Terry Willers returned fire before being struck, Hesebeck told authorities.

Vang continued pursuing and firing on the hunters, according to Hesebeck's statement, during which time Hesebeck used the walkie-talkie to call for help. He then heard ATVs approaching and shortly after heard gunshots. Vang reportedly then said, "one of you ... is still alive."

Hesebeck told authorities he then fired at Vang.

Vang was arrested Sunday about five hours after the shootings as he emerged from the woods with his empty semiautomatic rifle. He reportedly told authorities he had thrown his leftover ammunition into a swamp because he didn't want to shoot anyone else.

Two hunters on ATVs came across Vang in the woods and offered him a ride to a nearby road. When they determined he was the subject of the manhunt, they drove him to a Department of Natural Resources truck, where Vang surrendered peacefully.

Vang's version of events drew skepticism from the wounded and dead hunters' friends.

Vickie Slack, who lives next door to Terry Willers in Rice Lake, said Willers is "a very, very friendly, very good-natured person." When Slack lost a leg to cancer surgery two years ago, Willers routinely visited "and made me laugh a little bit. He always tries to cheer you up," Slack added. "I know Terry would never do anything to start a fight. It's just not in him at all."

Toxicology reports from the autopsies will answer whether the hunters had been drinking before a confrontation with Vang, something local officials have not yet commented on.

Vang is set to appear in court again Dec. 20, when he could be charged formally with intentional homicide and attempted intentional homicide.

Meanwhile, the woods of northern Wisconsin will be a more anxious place as the nine-day deer-hunting season enters the holiday weekend.

William Yang, executive director of the Hmong American Partnership in St. Paul, said he suspects Hmong hunters will avoid Wisconsin's woods during the holiday weekend, over fear of a backlash. And, Peter Yang, chief operating officer of the Wausau Area Hmong Mutual Association, said he worries that Hmong will be cast unfairly as dangerous.

"My biggest concern is that people will start to think all Hmong hunters are that way," he said. "This is an isolated incident."

Mike Bartz, a regional warden for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, said all of his agency's roughly 180 game wardens will watch closely for racial incidents in the coming days, as hunters fill the woods after Thanksgiving.

"We are sensitive to try to keep in tune, if that sort of sentiment starts to develop out there," he said. "I'd be lying to you if I told you there weren't conflicts between Asian hunters and other hunters."

Bartz said northern Wisconsin has been inhabited for generations mostly by people of northern European ancestry, something that has made the more recent influx of Hispanic, Hmong and other groups more challenging.

"There is a learning curve there," he said. "They need to learn about these new people moving in as well. It's a two-way street."

11-25-2004, 07:19 PM
what is the world coming to. i feel so sorry for all the families of the victims R.I.P:(

bulkdriverlp
11-25-2004, 07:48 PM
thanx for the good info

lol
11-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Greg Z
I was just hunting the other day up in New Berlin/ Onienta upstate NY and I was hutning in this one spot and there was this hunter tres passing and he shot this deer about 100 yards away from me i was scared ****less.. yeah it wasnt my property it was my friends property that GAVE me permission to go on.. anyways.. My friend came up to see if that was me if i got the deer I said no he saw the guy leaving his property in the bronco he found the guy couple hours later they were 10 people on his 200 acer property and he got the ranger and the ranger got them out... and the ranger found alot of deer in the back of there trucks and by there house... for **** sakes they were killing more then 1 deer in the woods on some one elses property.. And they were killing doe as well... and im sure some of them didnt even have there hunting licence

hunting is suppose to be fun ... you really shouldnt be worried about getting killed in the woods...

my dad was just hunting on his property in onionta:eek2:

Greg Z
11-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by lol
my dad was just hunting on his property in onionta:eek2:
heh thats cool theres a lot of land up there man!!! a lot of land!! i live on long island..

Scott-300ex
11-25-2004, 09:38 PM
*******s:grr: